Author Topic: Seeing The Fanbase Turn On Him, Why Should Kyrie Want To Stay Here?  (Read 6668 times)

Re: Seeing The Fanbase Turn On Him, Why Should Kyrie Want To Stay Here?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I posit that if Kyrie had never said a single word regarding free agency -- including that initial statement before the season started about wanting to stay -- that the fan base would not be reacting this way.  I also think the locker room would be at least a bit better, the team would be a bit more consistent, and Kyrie wouldn't be getting nearly as much media attention.

So if Kyrie never said he wanted to stay, no one would care about him staying?

*Facepalm*
I can't say what I really want to say without a ban, so let me exit this thread stage left...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's the team play that has fans turning on its leader. It's the price of it being "his team".

They turned on Pierce. They booed KG and Allen when the team was poor then too. People called out Rondo as lazy till national TV time. The fans know good team play and effort. Irving probably knows that and doesn't see things as people turning on him.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
   I just laugh when I hear people say kyrie is to blame for this mess! the only guy on the team that can consistently score at anytime during the game,and then when he tries be vocal on the court when guys are playing awful gets criticized for it.Gordon,morris,tatum have been awful to watch as of late but that's just keep blaming the same guy.makes no sense to me at all.

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There's a part of me that wants to see Danny let Kyrie walk, thus also losing out on the opportunity for AD, just so we all can see next season how a team led by Horford/Hayward/Tatum/Brown/Smart will get nowhere near the NBA Finals.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There's a part of me that wants to see Danny let Kyrie walk, thus also losing out on the opportunity for AD, just so we all can see next season how a team led by Horford/Hayward/Tatum/Brown/Smart will get nowhere near the NBA Finals.
Lol. It'd be quite a wake up call I think
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

And then the blog will have a meltdown saying Danny messed up by not paying Kyrie and not finding a viable replacement (which is not a realistic possibility unless if Rozier takes a big leap)  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I posit that if Kyrie had never said a single word regarding free agency -- including that initial statement before the season started about wanting to stay -- that the fan base would not be reacting this way.  I also think the locker room would be at least a bit better, the team would be a bit more consistent, and Kyrie wouldn't be getting nearly as much media attention.

So if Kyrie never said he wanted to stay, no one would care about him staying?

*Facepalm*
I can't say what I really want to say without a ban, so let me exit this thread stage left...

That's not at all what I said.

If Kyrie had stated, all along: "I am not going to talk about my free agency until I am a free agent," or something like that, and just left it at that, we wouldn't have all this anxiety.

That's not to say people wouldn't care.  There would still be people worrying about it, people complaining that he hasn't committed.

But when you come out publicly to say "I WANT TO STAY IF YOU'LL HAVE ME!" and then just a few months later say "I don't owe anybody anything!" (paraphrase) .... well, what do you expect?

"What I should have said was nothing." - Mike Berbiglia.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Tbf, we Celticsstrong posters and hecklers are a vast minority of Celtics fans, but I 100% agree with your points. It's easier to fix something that's broken than it is to completely start over hoping it turns out better.

Yep. And there's no denying that if we lose Kyrie, we get worse next year unless you think Rozier can get way better or we draft a legit PG. Don't think we can realistically sign another due to cap restraints.

That's not to say we're doomed long term without Kyrie, but we'll certainly have to get a bit creative and probably re-tool a bit again.

And then the same people who are knocking him will be wishing we had a talent of his caliber.

We do

Tatum and Brown

You just need to be patient

Neither has Kyrie's talent or ability. Not to mention, it's apples and oranges. I am talking about a player you can build a team around. Tatums isn't there, yet. Jaylen is just not a player you build a team around, period. That's not knocking him, but he's more of a supporting player than the face of a franchise.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 07:42:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

A team led by Kyrie isn't getting anywhere close to the NBA Finals either, though.

I don't know why people assume that if we trade half the starting lineup for Anthony Davis the Celts will be guaranteed to make the Finals.  Haven't we learned this year that nothing is guaranteed just because you have a talented roster?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Tbf, we Celticsstrong posters and hecklers are a vast minority of Celtics fans, but I 100% agree with your points. It's easier to fix something that's broken than it is to completely start over hoping it turns out better.

Yep. And there's no denying that if we lose Kyrie, we get worse next year unless you think Rozier can get way better or we draft a legit PG. Don't think we can realistically sign another due to cap restraints.

That's not to say we're doomed long term without Kyrie, but we'll certainly have to get a bit creative and probably re-tool a bit again.

And then the same people who are knocking him will be wishing we had a talent of his caliber.

Not all talent is created equal.  Russ Westbrook is a talent of Kyrie's caliber, at least, arguably greater.

I would not want Westbrook on any team I follow closely.

Then you haven't been paying attention to Westbrook this year, and I am not talking about the stats. He's sharing the ball alot more and getting his teammates much more engaged than in year's past, however he's still just as aggressive and competitive.

That sounds like a guy I'd want on my team.

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

A team led by Kyrie isn't getting anywhere close to the NBA Finals either, though.

I don't know why people assume that if we trade half the starting lineup for Anthony Davis the Celts will be guaranteed to make the Finals.  Haven't we learned this year that nothing is guaranteed just because you have a talented roster?

Nothing's guaranteed, but I think a team led by Irving-Davis has a better shot than a team led by Horford-Tatum.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 07:47:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not all talent is created equal.  Russ Westbrook is a talent of Kyrie's caliber, at least, arguably greater.

I would not want Westbrook on any team I follow closely.

Then you haven't been paying attention to Westbrook this year, and I am not talking about the stats. He's sharing the ball alot more and getting his teammates much more engaged than in year's past, however he's still just as aggressive and competitive.

That sounds like a guy I'd want on my team.
In a vacuum, yeah, but Russ on this team could be disastrous. It's a lot easier to defer to MVP candidate Paul George than it is to defer to Jayson Tatum.

He's also a garbage team defender and stat pads like crazy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yes. I know this story. It’s OUR fault dad left.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

A team led by Kyrie still has a better chance than with Rozier, especially in 2020 with likely a vastly improved Eastern Conference. And I don't see an AD trade happening anyways. I think it's letting the Jays grow, letting Morris walk, probably Rozier too, and then adding an MLE big this offseason + using the MEM pick either in 2020 or 2021. And who knows, maybe with the Kings Pick (if it lands 13 or 14) we could still land a solid contributor.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

We do

Tatum and Brown

You just need to be patient

Neither has Kyrie's talent or ability. Not to mention, it's apples and oranges. I am talking about a player you can build a team around. Tatums isn't there, yet. Jaylen is just not a player you build a team around, period. That's not knocking him, but he's more of a supporting player than the face of a franchise.

how are you stating this after 2-3 seasons in the league

what did Irving do in his first 3 seasons before Lebron took over the Cavs?