Author Topic: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons  (Read 14635 times)

Re: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:15 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Do we want to build around our young guys and be a good team for a long time like the Hawks a few years or so back?  Or do we want to take a chance at being great and contending for championships?  I'll choose the latter and trade Tatum plus for Davis and re-sign Kyrie.

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Like usual, Bill Simmons is an idiot.

Rebooting would set the franchise back significantly imo. They’d be a 5-8 seed with no clear star and running out of trade ammo as well. Kicking the can down another 3-4 would be awful.

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Reboot scenario, is for the Celtics to essentially let Horford, Kyrie and all veterans walk and to hand the keys over to Jason Tatum. Bill Simmons talked about it on his Pdcast today.

Thoughts on this approach?

I mean it is inevitable

Bill Simmons podcast stinks....more than half the time he is advertising seatgeek etc.

I can't believe he has that many listeners

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Rebooting would set the franchise back significantly imo. They’d be a 5-8 seed with no clear star and running out of trade ammo as well. Kicking the can down another 3-4 would be awful.

You mean, like, right now?

Yes to a reboot, and find someone else than Tatum to build around.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

LOL.  I do find it amusing how people are talking about how awful things would be if Kyrie left, except what they're describing is exactly where the team is right now.

This Celtics team is mediocre.  Right now.  Today.  With Kyrie.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

In fairness, if I heard Simmons correctly the reboot scenario isn't something they'd choose - it's something they'd be forced into if Kyrie leaves - and Horford opts out.  If another contender swooped in and offered Al 4 years at max money or close to it - and/or if he sees the situation here completely falls apart - then he bolts.

Horford is the one guy you can't replace because he can guard any big in the league - and presents matchup problems offensively.  If he leaves, even if Kyrie returns - unless they attract Davis, the team won't be able to compete with Philly or Milwaukee.

Then you may be forced into a reboot, or roll back the best team you can and win 44 games and go out in round 1.

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

LOL.  I do find it amusing how people are talking about how awful things would be if Kyrie left, except what they're describing is exactly where the team is right now.

This Celtics team is mediocre.  Right now.  Today.  With Kyrie.
It’s easier to build with elite talent. If Kyrie stays, Horford stays, AD is a greater possibility. It’s pretty simple. All you’d need then is role players and hopeful that Stevens remembers how to coach.

Starting from scratch and with no elite talent is a recipe for disaster that early works out. If Kyrie and Horford bolt, there will be some difficult times again for Cs fans.

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:35 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
What makes sense is to sign Irving and give the relationship another year. He can be traded later if things aren't working out. If he walks the Celtics will not recover enough cap space to replace him with another player of even a fraction of the talent level.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 10:50:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What makes sense is to sign Irving and give the relationship another year. He can be traded later if things aren't working out. If he walks the Celtics will not recover enough cap space to replace him with another player of even a fraction of the talent level.

TP for your first post, and one that I think should be screamed from the mountain tops for everyone to hear. I don't know why people just want to let our 26 yr old superstar walk for nothing. Barring a catastrophic injury, Kyrie will still be very valuable a year from now. He needs to be signed (and maybe even later traded) if we have any hope of contending in the next few years.

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

TP for your first post, and one that I think should be screamed from the mountain tops for everyone to hear. I don't know why people just want to let our 26 yr old superstar walk for nothing. Barring a catastrophic injury, Kyrie will still be very valuable a year from now. He needs to be signed (and maybe even later traded) if we have any hope of contending in the next few years.
Nah, just let him walk so we can be the lovechild of the Hawks and Raps, and be a good but not great team year-in year-out
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Reboot scenario, is for the Celtics to essentially let Horford, Kyrie and all veterans walk and to hand the keys over to Jason Tatum. Bill Simmons talked about it on his Pdcast today.

Thoughts on this approach?

Sooo, rebuilding, basically. Not really interested.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 11:05:54 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Little bill needs to be booted in the rear..smh

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 11:59:32 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I’ve reached the acceptance stage. Kyrie’s exit is now set to go play with buddy in NY, let’s just be honest. How do you flip a switch if you never had one to begin with?

::) ::)

https://i.imgur.com/uzcjpWK.gif[/img]
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 12:00:45 AM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Little bill needs to be booted in the rear..smh

he is a moron
LET'S GO CELTICS!