Author Topic: Unnamed Warrior: Hayward a “liability on both sides of the court”  (Read 12238 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817926-unnamed-warriors-player-gordon-hayward-is-liability-on-both-ends-of-the-court

I mean, they’re not wrong. The context of the quote doesn’t sound like it was mean-spirited either, but rather a realistic assessment of how poorly Gordon’s season has been this far.

To me, Gordon’s issues seem just as much psychological as physical right now. He has no confidence in himself out there, which is exacerbating his physical limitations and slowing his recovery. He just looks timid out there most of the time.

And while PG gives hope to Gordon eventually figuring it out, you do wonder how much their different personalities are at play here. While Hayward seems like a mentally tough, high character guy, I don’t really see that same type of “killer instinct” that you see from guys like Paul George, Irving, Westbrook, etc., and I really think that’s important in getting over the hurdles that are present in recovering from this type of injury.

Hopefully he figures this out. And maybe the birth of his daughter has been a factor in his subpar play recently. But, man, it’s really hard to watch him out there like this looking like a whipped dog most of the time out on the floor.

Re: Unnamed Warrior: Hayward a “liability on both sides of the court”
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I’m mean, duh.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The smarter coaches that the Celtics have faced so far have targeted GH as the weakest link on our team and have had great success most of the time... it’s amazing our record is what it is.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, he had that Killer Instinct in the 2016-17 season - where he lead Utah to the 2nd round of the playoffs and his first All-Star game.

It IS in him.

He WILL get it back.

Maybe he needs to talk to Morpheus again and take another Red Pill.....

because Gordon Hayward was AMAZING in 2016-17.

He's showing us FLASHES...no doubt about that. This board should NOT forget these flashes he has already shown us.

And the GSW player that don't want to attach his name to this critique should realize that his OWN team is one lit match away from a Dumpster Fire, with their TWO volatile stars..

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Warriors player seemingly has a lot in common with a lot of Celtics fans:  he's hyper-focused on the last game, without any greater perspective.

Hayward has averaged 12.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 47.8% FG%, .576 TS% in 24.6 minutes in January.  That includes his poor offensive performance last night. 

In other words, he's averaging a point about every two minutes, on very good efficiency.  Sure, there are problems -- his aggressiveness, his outside shooting -- but his production is actually quite solid, especially with as many scoring options as we have.  I mean, here are the guys on our team scoring 0.5 points per minute (i.e., 18 points per 36):  Kyrie, Morris, Tatum.  That's it, and Morris and Tatum are just over that threshold.

I get that a large percentage of any fan base will look for scapegoats, but let's actually pay attention to what guys have been doing on the court.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Hopefully this comment from the Warriors player riled him up and lit a fire under his bum to make sure he rebuilds his confidence.

If not, then the reality sets in as the Celtics are paying him $35M a year to put up 2-10 points a game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Think we all know this..been saying he shouldnt play in close games in the 4th quarter..hate say that
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 08:09:16 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Warriors player seemingly has a lot in common with a lot of Celtics fans:  he's hyper-focused on the last game, without any greater perspective.

Hayward has averaged 12.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 47.8% FG%, .576 TS% in 24.6 minutes in January.  That includes his poor offensive performance last night. 

In other words, he's averaging a point about every two minutes, on very good efficiency.  Sure, there are problems -- his aggressiveness, his outside shooting -- but his production is actually quite solid, especially with as many scoring options as we have.  I mean, here are the guys on our team scoring 0.5 points per minute (i.e., 18 points per 36):  Kyrie, Morris, Tatum.  That's it, and Morris and Tatum are just over that threshold.

I get that a large percentage of any fan base will look for scapegoats, but let's actually pay attention to what guys have been doing on the court.
The defense rests.  I find Gordon innocent of all charges.

It sucks that he's having that contract held against him.  He earned that contract and has made every effort to fulfill it.  If the production doesn't ever live up to the contract, that would definitely be a financial burden, but it was the price doing business. You can't account for injuries, unless there has been a history of them.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
He always seems to be playing at half speed.   They should just find a small role for him to shoot off the bench for awhile if they arent willing to dump his contract.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm still on the "he's injured so I don't expect him to be useful this season" train, and I know there are more and more people who are getting impatient and want him gone. However, I do agree with some comments on here or reddit or something that he should spend some time in the G-League or something. I still believe Gordon will figure it out or get out of his mental state. For some people, those kind of injuries does hit you mentally and it will take a lot of time.

and for some reason, I think the "unnamed warrior" is Draymond

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 09:22:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
He always seems to be playing at half speed.   They should just find a small role for him to shoot off the bench for awhile if they arent willing to dump his contract.
Hayward has a $30 million per season contract guaranteed.  First, no one will take it. 2nd if you dump him, your odds of signing another free agent for the foreseeable future drop way down because no one's going to trust your GM or ownership to not stab you in the back if given the opportunity.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 09:24:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
And of course, if the ref doesn't blow that travel non-call on Curry, and the C's hit a 3 on the final possession to win the game, we're not having this discussion.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:31:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
And of course, if the ref doesn't blow that travel non-call on Curry, and the C's hit a 3 on the final possession to win the game, we're not having this discussion.

BUT we probably should be, no?

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

It sucks that he's having that contract held against him.  He earned that contract and has made every effort to fulfill it.  If the production doesn't ever live up to the contract, that would definitely be a financial burden, but it was the price doing business. You can't account for injuries, unless there has been a history of them.

All of this plus there will be nights where his ankle probably feels sore (maybe fighting through scar tissue), and other nights his ankle just feels better.  He still doesn’t have all of his explosiveness back, but I feel good it will all come back with time and patience.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

All of this plus there will be nights where his ankle probably feels sore (maybe fighting through scar tissue), and other nights his ankle just feels better.  He still doesn’t have all of his explosiveness back, but I feel good it will all come back with time and patience.
i agree. if hayward last night against the warriors was the hayward of old, is the game even close? with a healthy hayward i believe this team would be leading the nba in win-loss and the hands down favorite to win it all.

but, hayward is not the hayward of old right now. i am not sure he will be back for the playoffs either. we really dont know how he feels, so we have to wait...which is really frustrating to do.  :-[
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva