Author Topic: Play-In Tournament Court Design  (Read 4939 times)

Re: Play-In Tournament Court Design
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2023, 09:40:46 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Sorry but can someone do a quick description of how the tournament works?  I have little doubt that I’ll hate it, but I’d least like to understand what it is.  I think I’d rather not win this tournament before winning a championship.

-Tournament games are only played on Fridays and Tuesdays.
-Each team plays 2games vs every team in their group
-groups are predetermined based on last season standings (not sure how that is sorted out).
-top 2 teams of each group move to playoffs
-playoffs are round-robin
-I believe the finals are East vs west….but no entirely sure

Tournament started November 3, finish 2nd week of December…I think

All tournament games count for in season standings. So if you do load management during the tournament, you are just hurting yourself
A lot of that is not accurate.  See link. 
https://www.nba.com/news/in-season-tournament-101
👍

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2023, 06:17:31 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I don’t understand how scheduling will work once the teams are identified for the knockout rounds. 

I can’t imagine liking this at all. All I can see is extra wear and tear with a trip to Las Vegas and an intense but meaningless exhibition game.  If someone is injured in that game, or if players end up playing 40+ intense minutes just as they’re in the meat of their playoff runs - all for a trophy - sounds like nothing but bad to me.  I can see the NBA hyping it with a horrid halftime show just to make the event that much more intolerable. Just hate the whole idea of it.

Edit:  will the championship’ game take place prior to or after all-star weekend?   

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2023, 07:02:02 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I don’t understand how scheduling will work once the teams are identified for the knockout rounds. 

I can’t imagine liking this at all. All I can see is extra wear and tear with a trip to Las Vegas and an intense but meaningless exhibition game.  If someone is injured in that game, or if players end up playing 40+ intense minutes just as they’re in the meat of their playoff runs - all for a trophy - sounds like nothing but bad to me.  I can see the NBA hyping it with a horrid halftime show just to make the event that much more intolerable. Just hate the whole idea of it.

Edit:  will the championship’ game take place prior to or after all-star weekend?

After the group stage, the 8 teams that advance will play each other in a bracket.  Quarterfinals will be hosted by the top two teams from group play in each conference (with tiebreakers decided by point differential), and semifinals and finals in Vegas.  The teams that didn’t make it to the group stage will each have a home and away game against other non-advancing teams at the same time as the tournament games.  All of this happens in early December.

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2023, 07:22:06 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

After the group stage, the 8 teams that advance will play each other in a bracket.  Quarterfinals will be hosted by the top two teams from group play in each conference (with tiebreakers decided by point differential), and semifinals and finals in Vegas.  The teams that didn’t make it to the group stage will each have a home and away game against other non-advancing teams at the same time as the tournament games.  All of this happens in early December.

….and as far as I can tell, every game counts in overall standings.
So if the Cs lose the tournament game on Tuesday, they will then be 5-1 in overall standings.   And so these are not exhibition games….not really.

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2023, 07:57:28 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

So if the Cs lose the tournament game on Tuesday, they will then be 5-1 in overall standings.   And so these are not exhibition games….not really.

Except for the championship game. That one is pure exhibition.

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Definitely not exhibition games.  As stated in the link I provided, every game counts except the championship game.  I didn't like this tournament idea at first and it is still a bit confusing.  However with the top teams spread out across the groups, it should mean more top tier games during the regular season.  If the Celts win their group, they might have to go through the Sixers and Bucks in single elimination games to meet the Nuggets in the championship.   

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Not really an exhibition like the all-star game.  I'd expect the 2 teams in the championship to compete like it is a regular season game. 

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2023, 09:27:31 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Not really an exhibition like the all-star game.  I'd expect the 2 teams in the championship to compete like it is a regular season game.

You’re right. That’s even worse. An injury in that game will be a whole bunch of wrong. Even the idea of an extra 40+ minute game for some players is an unrecoverable waste of energy.

Terrible ‘reward’ for winning games - a phony championship and an extra high intensity (ultimately) meaningless game in the midst of the season.  Players will try and some may have fun watching it - others will be holding their collective breath.

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2023, 10:14:40 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

You’re right. That’s even worse. An injury in that game will be a whole bunch of wrong. Even the idea of an extra 40+ minute game for some players is an unrecoverable waste of energy.

Terrible ‘reward’ for winning games - a phony championship and an extra high intensity (ultimately) meaningless game in the midst of the season.  Players will try and some may have fun watching it - others will be holding their collective breath.

Meh, if an injury happens it happens. It's just 1 game that doesn't count as far as I can see. Seeing more good basketball being played during the season is worth that risk.