Author Topic: Play-In Tournament Court Design  (Read 4940 times)

Re: Play-In Tournament Court Design
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2023, 09:30:21 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
This whole thing seems like an opportunity for more betting.

Celtics are +950 to win the tournament, and I feel good about the wager I’ve placed.

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2023, 09:32:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Celtics are +950 to win the tournament, and I feel good about the wager I’ve placed.

I'd definitely put some money with those odds  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2023, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I question if it'll just be used to give starters time off TBH. Thats what i would do if I was coaching them.

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Yuck. I'm already not a fan of the way the court is split, but the lack of woodgrain just really makes me dislike it. It makes it look like the kind of cheap surface you find in some highschools

Yeah, I find it really hard to watch when too much of the hardwood is coloured in. Bright colours or dark colours. Both irritate me. Just leave the wood alone.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 01:05:46 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I question if it'll just be used to give starters time off TBH. Thats what i would do if I was coaching them.

Strange take. So you would just sit the starters during the regular season? Because these still games count towards the 82-game record (except for the final “championship” game)
- LilRip

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Strange take. So you would just sit the starters during the regular season? Because these still games count towards the 82-game record (except for the final “championship” game)

Id in fact do the opposite, and use the games to simulate some playoff situations early in the season.

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2023, 11:35:54 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Grant Williams has been one of the best shooters in the NBA this season, so when he noticed something was off with the court Friday night, it’s sure to be an educated assumption.

Indeed, there was an error on the custom court Ball Arena on the first night of the In-season Tournament. NBA courts were repainted for the inaugural tournament — TD Garden also will get this redesign — but it turned out the 3-point line was too far back.

“I’m like, ‘There’s no way this is supposed to be this far.’ Everything was short,” Williams told reporters during morning shootaround, per the Associated Press’ Pat Graham. “Plus, I could just tell from the perception, either it was the blue court and it’s messing with my eyes in the empty arena, or this line is long.”

Oops.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2023, 01:01:33 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
The colored court is a turn off to me.  Gives me a headache and frequently lose track of the basketball.

Watched the Bucks with a more traditional court color, and was fine; then the Mavs/Nuggets game started with their blue court.

Had to change the channel.  Petty, because I really wanted to watch the game, but was hard to track the ball and was getting a headache.

I hope the league does something about it next year.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 02:05:14 PM by coco »

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Funny - I watched the last 5 minutes of Bucks-Knicks not knowing it was a tournament game or there was a special court.  I did notice the unique uniforms (didn’t think anything of it) but didn’t notice the court. Was watching the players and didn’t give the court a single thought. In truth, I only watched about 4.5 minutes of playing time - but now I want to see clips from the game to revel in my lack of awareness. 

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
The colored court is a turn off to me.  Gives me a headache and frequently lose track of the basketball.

Watched the Bucks with a more traditional court color, and was fine; then the Mavs/Nuggets game started with their blue court.

Had to change the channel.  Petty, because I really wanted to watch the game, but was hard to track the ball and was getting a headache.

Did you watch the Bulls game? Deep red was mind numbing! I'm fine with the tournament whatever but the courts got to go. I'm legit stressed about watching Celtics on this darkcourt background.
ok fine

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2023, 05:40:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I noticed the court right away. The trophy is ugly, so having giant graphics of the trophy on the court is ugly. I'm not a fan of having most of a basketball court colored—I like the traditional painted areas and the rest being visible wood. I also dislike a lot of these special uniforms, including the blue Bucks unis.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2023, 06:57:54 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff

Did you watch the Bulls game? Deep red was mind numbing! I'm fine with the tournament whatever but the courts got to go. I'm legit stressed about watching Celtics on this darkcourt background.

Didn’t watch the Bulls game; but a red court must have been brutal.

Seriously, the league needs to “tone it down” with the court team colors.  It’s not working.  Just keep the cup and the strip.  That’s enough in my mind.

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2023, 07:10:18 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Sorry but can someone do a quick description of how the tournament works?  I have little doubt that I’ll hate it, but I’d least like to understand what it is.  I think I’d rather not win this tournament before winning a championship.

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2023, 09:17:17 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
Sorry but can someone do a quick description of how the tournament works?  I have little doubt that I’ll hate it, but I’d least like to understand what it is.  I think I’d rather not win this tournament before winning a championship.

-Tournament games are only played on Fridays and Tuesdays.
-Each team plays 2games vs every team in their group
-groups are predetermined based on last season standings (not sure how that is sorted out).
-top 2 teams of each group move to playoffs
-playoffs are round-robin
-I believe the finals are East vs west….but no entirely sure

Tournament started November 3, finish 2nd week of December…I think

All tournament games count for in season standings. So if you do load management during the tournament, you are just hurting yourself
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:33:45 PM by coco »

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2023, 09:37:24 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

-Tournament games are only played on Fridays and Tuesdays.
-Each team plays 2games vs every team in their group
-groups are predetermined based on last season standings (not sure how that is sorted out).
-top 2 teams of each group move to playoffs
-playoffs are round-robin
-I believe the finals are East vs west….but no entirely sure

Tournament started November 3, finish 2nd week of December…I think

All tournament games count for in season standings. So if you do load management during the tournament, you are just hurting yourself
A lot of that is not accurate.  See link. 
https://www.nba.com/news/in-season-tournament-101