Author Topic: Play-In Tournament Court Design  (Read 4941 times)

Re: Play-In Tournament Court Design
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 04:11:26 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Yuck. I'm already not a fan of the way the court is split, but the lack of woodgrain just really makes me dislike it. It makes it look like the kind of cheap surface you find in some highschools

Back in early 80's some college teams and I know NC State did the yr they beat Houston had those horrible rubberized courts. We had one in what we called the little gym we used for PE in HS horrible. I wonder how all that paint will work esp places like Boston with Ice underneath.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 04:19:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Let's face it: The NBA has almost completely ditched tradition, which sucks for traditionalists such as myself. They've got Nike making all these ugly uniforms, now they're messing with the courts. And we've got a completely meaningless, pointless in-season tournament. Oh, and sponsor patches on jerseys. Hooray for the 21st century.
The core audience for the league is under 35.  They don't care much for the middle aged crowd.  But as a card carrying member of that crowd, I don't mind it.  The league has to sell this concept - not only to the fans but to the players as well. If both groups feel it has meaning, then it will be entertaining.  It's worth a try.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 04:28:20 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I thought the play-in tournament was going to be a quick tourney in the middle of the season, sort of like how MLS did it this year. I didn't realize it was set to begin this Friday.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 04:57:29 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I thought the play-in tournament was going to be a quick tourney in the middle of the season, sort of like how MLS did it this year. I didn't realize it was set to begin this Friday.

I think they want to get it done to build excitement for the early season without having the outcomes too obvious by record.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2023, 05:00:34 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Let's face it: The NBA has almost completely ditched tradition, which sucks for traditionalists such as myself. They've got Nike making all these ugly uniforms, now they're messing with the courts. And we've got a completely meaningless, pointless in-season tournament. Oh, and sponsor patches on jerseys. Hooray for the 21st century.
The core audience for the league is under 35.  They don't care much for the middle aged crowd.  But as a card carrying member of that crowd, I don't mind it.  The league has to sell this concept - not only to the fans but to the players as well. If both groups feel it has meaning, then it will be entertaining.  It's worth a try.

I'm not really that into it but if the games count towards the regular season standings anyways, then there isn't that much opportunity cost? I'd be more skeptical if it reduced the regular season itself but these games sound like they're doubling up which is a way to keep other fans interested. So why not, I guess.

Same with the hardwood. We look at the same stuff for so many games, it's not that big a deal to play around with the options.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 05:11:42 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I'm not really that into it but if the games count towards the regular season standings anyways, then there isn't that much opportunity cost? I'd be more skeptical if it reduced the regular season itself but these games sound like they're doubling up which is a way to keep other fans interested. So why not, I guess.

Same with the hardwood. We look at the same stuff for so many games, it's not that big a deal to play around with the options.

I think (maybe not other people) it would be more interesting if they had a World Cup Club style games. Maybe have a smaller pool of teams but also invite international teams and have that as a tournament. Maybe have 8 NBA teams and 8 international teams (4 Europeans, 1 South American, Asian and African club) and have them play. You know the international teams would play for something and no NBA team would want to lose to an international team.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 05:26:12 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

I think (maybe not other people) it would be more interesting if they had a World Cup Club style games. Maybe have a smaller pool of teams but also invite international teams and have that as a tournament. Maybe have 8 NBA teams and 8 international teams (4 Europeans, 1 South American, Asian and African club) and have them play. You know the international teams would play for something and no NBA team would want to lose to an international team.

I agree this would be fun -- Champions League style
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 05:37:59 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Three problems:

One - Euroleague is already underway, so scheduling would be a nightmare.

two - Champions League has relegation & promotion. There's no feasible way to work that into the NBA system, but it doesn't make sense to have a fixed group of X NBA teams and Y 'foreign' teams.

three - nine times out of ten most of the NBA teams would smoke even the best European league teams, particularly if the Euro teams have to fly to the US and play by NBA rules with NBA referees. It wouldn't be that fun to watch, compared to the Olympics or the off-season friendlies.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2023, 12:17:06 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Good Lord, No.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 12:25:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm not sure about the in-season tournament thing, will need to see more details... but I'm not a fan of that until I see more of how it'll play out.

As for the court designs, I like it a lot. They're simple, loud, easily recognizable, and with a uniform pattern among all teams. For the purposes of the tournament, I think it works well.

You forgot "ugly" and "amateurish", haha.

Which is still fine for this purpose. Honestly it's for a very limited amount of games, not real reason to waste much time complaining about it one way or another.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2023, 12:34:28 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
some of the worst graphic design I have seen in a while.   Do they have any sense of scale?
Looks like bad-photoshop from an inexperienced designer who doesn't know what they are doing.
yuck.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2023, 05:08:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I don't mind it. I'm not necessarily afraid of change. I'm willing to give it a go for this year before calling it trash  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2023, 06:32:53 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Anyone else find the application of the 'retro-lens' to the late 90's/Y2K-era very Uncanny Valley? Especially the INDY on the Pacers court.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 08:11:01 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Oh wow.  I’ve actually been intrigued by the tournament idea from the get go, but those courts are butt ugly and dumb.  I get that they’re trying to differentiate these games in ways that don’t affect the product on the court, but I don’t like the homogenization look at all. 
Yup

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2023, 08:33:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
This whole thing seems like an opportunity for more betting.