Author Topic: Overreactions after one game  (Read 7160 times)

Re: Overreactions after one game
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2023, 12:44:16 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Jrue Holiday is going to get this team a ring. He's better than both Marcus Smart and Malcolm Brogdon. He might be the best defensive guard in the game.

I loved his D on Wednesday. And even though he had a terrible night from 3, I’m way more comfortable seeing him shoot it than Marcus.

JB would do well to emulate Jrue and DWhite.  Play smart. Focus on D (actually felt Jaylen was pretty engaged defensively on Wednesday), look for the open guy as the double comes your way or just avoid over-dribbling, let your offense come to you - take what opens because with this team opportunities will come. Don’t worry about scoring 25 - though it will happen often. A year to improve your all-around game.

You nailed every statement and these are the things the coaches need to be in Brown's ear about all year.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2023, 01:52:57 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Our lineups are starting to take shape. Here are all the 5 man lineups we used, ranked by +/-.  I marked the top lineups in terms of minutes. This one is only for this game so take it with a grain of salt.

The one below is for our 2 games so far so a slightly bigger sample size. All lineups with less than 1 min of PT were excluded.

Once we get like 10 or so games I think we will have a good idea of where Joe is at in terms of which combos he wants out there, which of the top 6 will play with which bench players.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2023, 07:32:00 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think watching last nights game you can tell they still aren't quite as comfortable together and are trying to build chemistry. which is understandable considering they've only been together what? a month or so?

But you can see the talent is there. everyone starter scored over 17ppg and in different ways. If they can build chemistry watch out. because the team looks hard to defend just based on talent alone.

I'm abit worried about the bench as they haven't shown much. but then again, other than horford (0-6 last night) no one took more than 2 shots. I wonder if that is for 2 reasons.

1. bench is always out there with 2 starters. haven't seen many "full bench units" like we did last year. last year Brogdon was our #3 scorer. whereas this year our #3-5 are all starters. Brad traded depth for more top end talent. so the shots that were going to Brogdon/Grant/smart/Rob williams are now being dispersed to Holiday/Porzingis/White. and I think you would rather one of them shooting it than Pritchard/hauser/Brissett.

2. This is a BRAND starting lineup. Holiday has been on the team what, 4 weeks? you can tell there are CLEAR growing pains as these guys learn to play together. so its very important they play alot together the next 20 or so games to develop chemistry. Look at the "big 3" miami heat. Once we get into the meat of the season we may end up seeing hopefully more pritchard/hauser as guys rest/miss games etc. but it is IMPERATIVE that they develop the chemistry now so when they go into the playoffs these guys know how to play together

still wonder if brad could've gone for someone like Oubre as an instant offense guy off the bench. still not sure how to feel about our bigs. would like to see someone other than kornet. trade deadline/buyout market will be interesting.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:44:55 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I’m not in the locker room so I don’t know the personalities and how much it would effect the team  vs what you’re likely OVERPAYING for but I’d like an upgrade at a top 7 guy. Alec Burks is a guy I figured woujd be attainable for a slight overpay.

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2023, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not in the locker room so I don’t know the personalities and how much it would effect the team  vs what you’re likely OVERPAYING for but I’d like an upgrade at a top 7 guy. Alec Burks is a guy I figured woujd be attainable for a slight overpay.

The problem right now is that we don't have the salaries to match in trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2023, 04:06:07 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m not happy about their offense in the first two games.  Other than an occasional pick n roll, they don’t run plays.  They spread out the offense, there’s usually a pick set, but there’s very little player and ball movement.  Guys are taking turns running iso ball.  It’s lousy team basketball.  They’ve gotten by with their talent. 

This needs to change and it’s on Mazzula.  I wanted them to find a new coach, but I think we’re stuck with him.  Hopefully, he can step it up and the team can figure things out.

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2023, 06:59:33 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I'm disappointed with pritchard/Hauser.

Our bench looks alot better if those guys can hit their shots. Was expecting more from them this year

Hopefully it's just a showing slump. Because if they can contribute. Horford/Hauser/Pritchard/Brissett isn't bad.

It's just they look bad out there.

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2023, 09:30:49 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm disappointed with pritchard/Hauser.

Our bench looks alot better if those guys can hit their shots. Was expecting more from them this year

Hopefully it's just a showing slump. Because if they can contribute. Horford/Hauser/Pritchard/Brissett isn't bad.

It's just they look bad out there.

I think it's difficult for them when they are the first two options and teams are sweating on them, as opposed to complimenting other stars where they might be left open. Look at the lineups they've been a part of:

Other than the lineup where they had another shooter in Mykhailiuk with them the lineups where they were the top 2 were outscored by 5 and 7 points when they were on the court (highlighted with red dots).

As for Horford/Hauser/Pritchard/Brissett, as long as the 5th person in that lineup is JT they had a +/- of 3...the other 2 lineups were both outscored  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2023, 10:13:14 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'm not worried about any lineups that do not have at least 2 of the top 6 players on it.  Those will likely only play in blow outs(either way), barring serious injury.  I'm more worried about Hauser, Hortford, and PP scoring, assists, and rebounds when they are playing with the starters.  It is a given they will be attacked on defense, but they Must (eventually) hit a high percentage of their open shots, make the right passes, and fight for rebounds.  So far they are doing it all, except hitting those shots.  Those 3 players are better shooters than their percentages, so I'm confident it will get better. 

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’m out on Hauser. His overall shooting since he’s been here had been great but when it goes away I think it hurts us . Pritchard having to pick the ball up under pressure a couple of times , getting into trouble was disappointing to see. I definitely think we’ll need an upgrade to the top 7 even if we are relatively healthy. (That is, to be the champs. ) But I could be wrong .

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2023, 10:51:29 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
  I’m out on Hauser. His overall shooting since he’s been here had been great but when it goes away I think it hurts us . Pritchard having to pick the ball up under pressure a couple of times , getting into trouble was disappointing to see. I definitely think we’ll need an upgrade to the top 7 even if we are relatively healthy. (That is, to be the champs. ) But I could be wrong .

I thought he was fine yesterday when with the starters.  He’s a solid rebounder and keeps the ball moving if he doesn’t have a shot.  But certainly he isn’t good enough to be with a mostly bench unit when his shot isn’t falling.  He’s flawed, but no more flawed than the 7th-8th men on other contenders.  Teams still respect his shot, which means he’s guarded more closely and gives everyone else space to operate.

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2023, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
There is a huge drop off between our top 6 and the rest of the team.  It is a bit of a stretch to ask either Pritchard or Hauser to be the 7th guy or even 8th.  They are more 9th or 10th guys, still "second string" but bottom second string.  My hope was that Brissett and/or Stevens would come in and fit in more in the 7th or 8th slots.  So far that hasn't materialized, and maybe won't ever.

That is exactly the need that I and others have been harping on all off season.  If we could bring in someone, preferably a PF, who can play at "7th guy" level, everyone else notches down and we would be set.

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is a huge drop off between our top 6 and the rest of the team.  It is a bit of a stretch to ask either Pritchard or Hauser to be the 7th guy or even 8th.  They are more 9th or 10th guys, still "second string" but bottom second string.  My hope was that Brissett and/or Stevens would come in and fit in more in the 7th or 8th slots.  So far that hasn't materialized, and maybe won't ever.

That is exactly the need that I and others have been harping on all off season.  If we could bring in someone, preferably a PF, who can play at "7th guy" level, everyone else notches down and we would be set.
It is why they should have kept Grant.  Not a world beater, but competent and they just let him walk for no reason
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2023, 12:52:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

It is why they should have kept Grant.  Not a world beater, but competent and they just let him walk for no reason

The Grant Williams situation had played out. I like Grant and wanted him to stay, but its pretty apparent stuff happened and it was best to part ways. The Cs did right by him letting him go to the Mavs.

Pritchard has struggled so far this season, but I think he's a fine 7-8th man on your roster, especially when the top 6 are as good as the Celtics. Hauser may be a little further down, but he has a good NBA skill and he's not terrible as a defender or rebounder.

We all see that we are a guy short right now. So does Stevens. We will see if Stevens or Brissett or Banton can take a step forward and be that guy. If not, I'm sure the Cs will find someone.

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2023, 01:20:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

The Grant Williams situation had played out. I like Grant and wanted him to stay, but its pretty apparent stuff happened and it was best to part ways. The Cs did right by him letting him go to the Mavs.

Pritchard has struggled so far this season, but I think he's a fine 7-8th man on your roster, especially when the top 6 are as good as the Celtics. Hauser may be a little further down, but he has a good NBA skill and he's not terrible as a defender or rebounder.

We all see that we are a guy short right now. So does Stevens. We will see if Stevens or Brissett or Banton can take a step forward and be that guy. If not, I'm sure the Cs will find someone.

This is where I am at too.  Grant is/was a useful bench player, I like Grant, but the contract was too much and he wanted a bigger role.  Sometimes things just aren't meant to be.  Grant wanted to move on.  He got someone to pay him and give him the role he wanted.

My hope was Brissett would come in as the Grant replacement.  Brissett is actually taller than Grant.  Seems perfectly willing and able to play the PF/Swing role.  Grant has him beat on hitting 3s but I am not sure if anything else.  And if not Brissett, there are going to be other options out there.  We are talking about someone to be the 7th guy in the rotation with some size.  That doesn't grow on trees but it is a need that should be able to be addressed.

Losing Grant wasn't such an impact when we still had Rob Williams.  Our big rotation was projecting to be fine.  Rob might have started.  Rotation slots #6 and #7 could have been Brogdon and Horford.  But we traded for Holiday.  Made 1-6 better, 7-9 got worse.  Had we known we were going to trade Rob, maybe we do keep Grant, but we didn't.  Not the end of the world.  Just a need that has to be addressed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:16:33 AM by Vermont Green »