Author Topic: Excellent interview with coach Joe  (Read 4679 times)

Excellent interview with coach Joe
« on: October 05, 2023, 01:10:30 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Very long, but interesting interview that JJ Redick does on his podcast with Joe Mazulla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fShVcFTK6RM

Re: Excellent interview with coach Joe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 07:47:51 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
He talked about tough 2s at the end of the game in one clip I saw. Nearly spit out my coffee.

Hopefully that means he realizes there is more to the game than jacking up 3's

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 07:59:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kernewek and I had a discussion about this in the Media Day thread.  Hope springs eternal, but to be charitable, I think that Joe places too much emphasis on analytics.  It's why he's a great "second row" assistant -- he's good at feeding that information to decision makers to evaluate -- but why he's not great as the primary decision maker.

For Red Sox fans, it's why you might love Bill James as an advisor, but not want him to be coach or GM.  Conversely, there's something to be said for an analytically-informed manager (Francona) vs. somebody who manages by his gut (Grady Little).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I was impressed in that he seems to have a learning mindset. He doesn’t profess to know all of the answers and is driven by a duty to do right by the players. I think he’ll get better and better. I’m bullish on Joe.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kernewek and I had a discussion about this in the Media Day thread.  Hope springs eternal, but to be charitable, I think that Joe places too much emphasis on analytics.  It's why he's a great "second row" assistant -- he's good at feeding that information to decision makers to evaluate -- but why he's not great as the primary decision maker.

For Red Sox fans, it's why you might love Bill James as an advisor, but not want him to be coach or GM.  Conversely, there's something to be said for an analytically-informed manager (Francona) vs. somebody who manages by his gut (Grady Little).

Did you watch the full interview? Lots of interesting discussion about how the team will be adding tough twos and post ups to the late game arsenal.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 01:51:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Did you watch the full interview? Lots of interesting discussion about how the team will be adding tough twos and post ups to the late game arsenal.

After watching a full year where Joe didn't make any real, sustained adjustments offensively or defensively, please forgive me when I say that I'll believe it when I see it.  The man criticized the team after a playoff game where they made a ton of easy 2s.  I'm skeptical that all of a sudden he's going to be preaching that we go inside more, particularly for tough shots.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 01:57:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

After watching a full year where Joe didn't make any real, sustained adjustments offensively or defensively, please forgive me when I say that I'll believe it when I see it.  The man criticized the team after a playoff game where they made a ton of easy 2s.  I'm skeptical that all of a sudden he's going to be preaching that we go inside more, particularly for tough shots.

Fair enough. We live in a snippet and headline based world now I guess.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 01:57:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 36 minutes ago
Jayson Tatum was asked how much Joe Mazzulla has been talking about defense so far. “A lot more than last year, thanks to you guys.”

That's a good thing.  I'm glad the media reminded Joe that there are two ends to the basketball court.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 02:12:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
It does seem like Joe seems more relaxed and somewhat competent this year. He definitely seems better with the media; he came off as very flippant and arrogant throughout most of last year.

I’m sure having the level of assistant coaches that he has really helps put things in perspective for him.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 02:19:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
It does seem like Joe seems more relaxed and somewhat competent this year. He definitely seems better with the media; he came off as very flippant and arrogant throughout most of last year.

I’m sure having the level of assistant coaches that he has really helps put things in perspective for him.

Yeah I'm very encouraged. I think the assistant coaches are helping, and it's possible CBS + Wyc probably also spoke to him this offseason about schemes, talking with media, relationships with players, etc.

I'll say this, in Mazzulla's defense I did think he was put in a tough spot. I mean, Ime's incident happened and came to light, then all of a sudden right before the season Mazzulla is just thrust into the HC-role. Didn't have much experience coming in and probably had to wing some stuff along the way and on the fly. At least now it feels he's had a full offseason to relax, gain more insights and have a better idea on how to run a locker room and team.

And while they may not have been wrong, hearing Smart in an actual interview being like, "I know coach Mazzulla has been getting killed [by the media], and rightfully so..." and probably some of the other criticism from guys like Brogdon didn't help him either. It's one thing for it to air internally, but these guys said it to the whole world too. Probably also contributed to Mazz's somewhat harsh attitude to the media, he probably just didn't want to talk much and let loose something incorrect or dramatic
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 03:05:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
John Karalis @John_Karalis
about 18 minutes ago
Mazzulla confirms that zone in summer league was part of the plan to explore playing it this year. "Just getting as much data on film about what would it look like, how would we teach it, would we even go to it ... that was the beginning of being openminded towards the curveball”

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594

I like what he's saying, but I still can't get over the fact some of the mistakes he made shouldn't have persisted for the entire year.

This is only year 2 and he's still learning. Is he going to take another year of sticking to some failing dogma before he lets it go?

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Crazy after watching that. I have done a complete 180 on Joe. I hated him all last year. Now I totally get him..I think good things are in store with him.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2023, 07:16:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I don't think we can really judge him based on last season given the circumstances under which he got the job plus the fact that it was his first time he'd coached at this level. This season is going to tell us a lot more about what kind of coach he actually is than last year did.

EDIT: A nice moment about 49 minutes into the interview where Joe says he did a poor job emphasizing physicality defense last year because because that should be like brushing your teeth every day. It's something you do, you shouldn't have to be told to do it but that as a coach, "You are what you emphasize," and it sounds like he's realized he has to be more vocal about the stuff that's really important like defense and physicality. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 07:42:13 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2023, 10:17:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I didn't think an interview could make me like a guy so quickly. What a sincere, self-aware, tough-minded, intelligent man that is. I 100% can see what Stevens sees in him.

Great to hear him talk about having some more scheming curveballs this year. Also its great to hear him with some fortitude about his decisions when he legitimately thinks its the best way. I'd rather have a guy stick to his guns than blow around with the wind of fans opinions.

Two big takeaways: 1) You can tell that scheming to help momentum was a big part of his research this off-season. That includes preventing the Cs from giving up huge leads, as well as creating more momentum for our team. 2) You can tell that we are going away from the switching-only defensive scheme. He is adding more variety. That will help the momentum issues some as well.

I'm excited to see these "curveballs" in play.