Author Topic: Hating the NBA's new shoe guidelines  (Read 2417 times)

Hating the NBA's new shoe guidelines
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
The NBA has loosened its color restrictions on player's sneakers, and this is what Jaylen wore last night:

I find this to be absolutely hideous. Red and blue sneakers for a team that wears green and white? Gross. And then mismatched on top of that? Ugly.

According to the NBA, "both shoes must match in color and design," but it seems that some players, such as Brown, will see what they can get away with. And I know that Rozier was wearing some equally hideous pink-and-yellow shoes in the last preseason game (not sure if he wore them last night).

I can't stand this kind of stuff. I guess the NBA has to allow different brands and styles because of players’ shoe contracts; fine, but please, NBA, crack down on this stuff that hurts my eyes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Hating the NBA's new shoe guidelines
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, it truly is jarring when they clash so violently with the team colours.

Jayden's were particularly hideous
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I thought the blue / red scheme was weird for a game against the Sixers, especially.

I would prefer black, white, or team colors, but this is all marketing, and it’s here to stay.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:56:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
NBA players do not dress well at all. We see it at the draft. We see it at award shows.  Any loosened uniform policy gets immediately abused. I actually think if socks weren’t required, they wouldn’t wear any 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:02:13 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
NBA players do not dress well at all. We see it at the draft. We see it at award shows.  Any loosened uniform policy gets immediately abused. I actually think if socks weren’t required, they wouldn’t wear any 

I remember on draft night Doncic was the only lotto pick whose pants weren't ankle-cut, lol.

Trae Young, LeBron and Draymond rocking 'suit shorts' (if that's the term) makes me sick
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rozier's shoes were an eyesore last night.

I didn't notice Jaylen's shoes. They are butt-ugly.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Rozier's shoes were an eyesore last night.

I didn't notice Jaylen's shoes. They are butt-ugly.

Butt-ugly indeed. I really don't understand why anyone wants to wear shoes that don't match their uniform.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Jaylen's shoes where in homage to T-Mac. Look it up.

Style is in the eye of the beholder.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:03:13 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
My son plays high school and the shoe thing has been toned down from just a few years ago.  My son used to war whatever bright color he could find, and matching the uniform was irrelevant.  The more they stood out, the better.

I got used to it.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 10:06:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The NBA has loosened its color restrictions on player's sneakers, and this is what Jaylen wore last night:

I find this to be absolutely hideous. Red and blue sneakers for a team that wears green and white? Gross. And then mismatched on top of that? Ugly.

According to the NBA, "both shoes must match in color and design," but it seems that some players, such as Brown, will see what they can get away with. And I know that Rozier was wearing some equally hideous pink-and-yellow shoes in the last preseason game (not sure if he wore them last night).

I can't stand this kind of stuff. I guess the NBA has to allow different brands and styles because of players’ shoe contracts; fine, but please, NBA, crack down on this stuff that hurts my eyes.

This was a nod to Tracy McGrady. That pair in particular is iconic in sneaker culture.

Personally, I love that they're letting players express themselves more. I also suspect we'll see a rise in handpainted customized pairs. It'll be cool to see artists like Kickstradomis and Andr3wtl - who have been working with players for a while - get a blank slate to showcase what they can do.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:12:00 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »

• Satch Sanders

This was a nod to Tracy McGrady. That pair in particular is iconic in sneaker culture.

Personally, I love that they're letting players express themselves more. I also suspect we'll see a rise in handpainted customized pairs. It'll be cool to see artists like Kickstradomis and Andr3wtl - who have been working with players for a while - get a blank slate to showcase what they can do.

Yeah, I read that they're TMac's. But really I couldn't care less about crap like that. In fact, I find it kinda comical that there's a "sneaker culture," but I digress. Matching your shoes to your uniform is pretty basic stuff—like, little-kid basic. I wish the NBA would use some common sense here.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 10:38:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah, I read that they're TMac's. But really I couldn't care less about crap like that. In fact, I find it kinda comical that there's a "sneaker culture," but I digress. Matching your shoes to your uniform is pretty basic stuff—like, little-kid basic. I wish the NBA would use some common sense here.

I find it kinda comical that people get so bothered over the color of a player's footwear, but here we are. Ultimately, the league didn't feel the need to keep restricting colorways so it is what is. Maybe really buy in and watch the games in black and white for that old school feel?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 10:47:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I find it kinda comical that people get so bothered over the color of a player's footwear, but here we are. Ultimately, the league didn't feel the need to keep restricting colorways so it is what is. Maybe really buy in and watch the games in black and white for that old school feel?

It's a glaring eyesore to me. But I might take you up on that black-and-white-TV idea.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

These are outliers not the norm.

Nobody pays attention to people who dress normally.