Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 218227 times)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
Many think it’s a fluke game last night, but last year they shoot 43% from 3 against us, without their best shooter Herro. That team is just so confident playing us.
Exactly. It can't be a fluke when you are allowing them to shoot wide open 3s constantly. This is the problem with the analytics. They don't consider the human factor like physical and mental aspects of the game.

When your coach has zero feel for the game, he relies only on analytics.
Why couldn't Mazzulla analyze the fact that his idiotic defensive scheme was allowing Miami to hit one wide-open 3 after another?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3010
  • On To Banner 18!
If there is one thing I completely disagree with Mazzulla on yesterday. NO, most of those 3s by Miami were not "moderate to heavily contested"  ::)

The thing about analytics, you typically think things will "even out" and that may be true, but not always. And when it doesn't, if you don't have major adjustments on the fly then that is what could do you in. Sadly happened to us last year in the ECF. Game 2 felt similar, although it was also notable how awful a few of our guys were in particular (KP, Jrue, White)

What I found odd last night was, for a team that shoots a lot of 3s, funny enough we didn't take as many yesterday when it probably made the most sense to given Miami's hot shooting there. That's where this team just lacks consistency. It's not just about making 3s, but limiting the other team on their 3s as well. We've done well with that this season too, but definitely not in Game 2.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1574
Many think it’s a fluke game last night, but last year they shoot 43% from 3 against us, without their best shooter Herro. That team is just so confident playing us.
Exactly. It can't be a fluke when you are allowing them to shoot wide open 3s constantly. This is the problem with the analytics. They don't consider the human factor like physical and mental aspects of the game.

When your coach has zero feel for the game, he relies only on analytics.
Why couldn't Mazzulla analyze the fact that his idiotic defensive scheme was allowing Miami to hit one wide-open 3 after another?

a biddy coach coulda seen that . joe is trash
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2012
We are well equipped to switch on PnRs.  Our team is stacked with elite 1 on 1 defenders.  Even our players off the bench are adequate for switching.  The Heat were way too comfortable with our stupid defensive scheme in game 2.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 603
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvwVc1JArjM

Joe Mazulla offense in microscope

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1381
If there is one thing I completely disagree with Mazzulla on yesterday. NO, most of those 3s by Miami were not "moderate to heavily contested"  ::)

The thing about analytics, you typically think things will "even out" and that may be true, but not always. And when it doesn't, if you don't have major adjustments on the fly then that is what could do you in. Sadly happened to us last year in the ECF. Game 2 felt similar, although it was also notable how awful a few of our guys were in particular (KP, Jrue, White)

What I found odd last night was, for a team that shoots a lot of 3s, funny enough we didn't take as many yesterday when it probably made the most sense to given Miami's hot shooting there. That's where this team just lacks consistency. It's not just about making 3s, but limiting the other team on their 3s as well. We've done well with that this season too, but definitely not in Game 2.

Renowned 3 point hater (and Mazz pinata) Gary Washburn agrees with you, Phantom.

The Celtics were drubbed, 111-101, on Wednesday at TD Garden because the Heat played chess while the Celtics were asking if there were flying kings. Miami made a club record 23 3-pointers on 43 attempts.

The Heat were 13 for 24 in the first half, begging the Celtics to make an adjustment to limit the attempts. Instead, they just hoped Miami would miss. They didn’t. It was 10 for 19 in the second half.

Miami taking more 3-pointers and limiting the Celtics’ attempts was the only way the Heat could make this game competitive. Yet, the Celtics appeared unprepared at times. They were erratic offensively and played right into the Heat’s hands, attacking the rim to moderate success.

Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown combined for 15 3-pointers and the remaining eight players combined for 17, including a combined 1 attempt from Payton Pritchard and Al Horford. Miami took the Celtics completely out of their game, turned them into drivers against multiple defenders and then the defense offered lazy closeouts to Heat shooters.

The Celtics attempted only 32 3-pointers, tied for their fourth-lowest total of the season, and despite trailing most of the second half, they were only able to attempt 12. Once again, the Spoelstra game plan blitzed entry passes to Porzingis and invited the Celtics to attack the rim but then their defenders closed out aggressively.

Boston scored 46 points in the paint but also missed 18 shots in that area. The Celtics didn’t take enough threes and weren’t efficient enough in taking twos. Mazzulla blamed the offense for the defense, but the defense was porous from the beginning and never really improved.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/04/25/sports/celtics-coach-joe-mazzulla-stymied-by-heat-coach-erik-spoelstras-game-plan/

When Gary Washburn is saying you didn't take enough threes you know you done messed up  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623

That guy is so annoying. I don’t know how anyone can listen to his screaming

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186

He is annoying but he's not wrong.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Stephen A Smith just said if Ime Udoka was coach last season, Celtics would went to finals
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008

Nah, he nailed it. We need coaches like him to scream at their own players to make sure they understand an assignment. A Stan Van Gundy type of coach. These young coaches can be too laxed...need someone to whip them into shape.

As for those C's camping outside the perimeter- it's the same 'ol Joe offensive philosophy "the best and high-% shot you must take are 3's. Do not go in and take any 2's. You must take 3's. We do not take ENOUGH 3's" hence why everyone hovers the 3-point line. It is maddening and he is right that no coach exists on the Celtics sideline.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stephen A Smith just said if Ime Udoka was coach last season, Celtics would went to finals

That sounds right to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687

It's like listening to a chimpanzee screech and trying to derive meaning from it.  He may or may not be a good basketball mind (I've heard both), but when he gets on one of his howling lunatic spiels, I click the X. 

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2440

I agree, we probably still would’ve lost to Denver though.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186

Too bad Ime couldn't put team above penis.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418

Yeah, he says this stuff about every team. Every coach. Hysteria.