Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36784 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Jeter just did what a lot of people suspected was in the cards all along. Stanton to the Yankees.
It looks like a lot of those other teams were just a setup.

On paper, the Yankee lineup looks ridiculous. But neither Stanton nor Judge figures to repeat the year they had last year. Stanton, especially, is injury prone.

The Yankees had a magical year last year in which nearly everyone overachieved. They might just come back to earth this year--even with Stanton. And they lost their 2nd baseman, Castro, in the Stanton deal. Castro hit an unbelievable .300 last year.

The real need for the Yankees is starting pitching. Other than Severino, the other starters are questionable. They don't have the starting rotation to win a championship. But wait a few days. They've been a 900lb gorilla of decades outspending everybody ($1 billion in luxury taxes!), and it looks like that gorilla is thirsty for another championship.

Meanwhile Mr Henry spends too much time counting his money and making poor financial baseball decisions.

Yeah, sucks to hear. Last night was awful, from the Celtics suffering that heartbreaking loss, to realizing the Yankees could get Stanton (and this morning, they did).

Either way, Red Sox HAVE to do something, otherwise ratings will definitely be down next year and lots of fans are going to be mad.

Part of me wonders if they will now be in play for Harper next winter, or another star FA (not Machado, b/c he hates us LOL).

Apparently Sox are now showing interest in Pat Neshek, so maybe they add him or Bryan Shaw (another GREAT RELIEVER) to help out with the BP a bit.

But at this point, it's JD Martinez or bust this winter. Hosmer is overrated (NOT a power bat), and while I like Carlos Santana, he's just not going to cut it either. Logan Morrison, maybe, since he hit 38 HR last year, but that could be a big anomaly as well.
ratings down? this is the boston red sox we are talking about. the fans will not start abandeoning the sox because the yankees get a star player.

stanton helps the yankees, of course. but as was pointed out above, the team as a whole out played their talent and they still have starting pitching weaknesses. over 162 games that weakness will show up.

and the sox have not yet made their big off season move, so let's wait and see folks.

Hey I'm a Sox fan for life, and I'll stay even in a 120-loss season, but I'm talking about the fan base in general. Apparently, Gregorious-Stanton-Judge-Sanchez hit 169 HR last year. Red Sox only had 168 from everyone on the team...

And I only said ratings would go down IF the Sox whiff on the other big name targets and pretty much bring back the same team as last year (or just a "moderate upgrade" like Santana or Morrison at 1B instead of Moreland).

Now my hope is, the Sox can land JD Martinez for like 6/160M, although now there may be a bit of a bidding war with SF Giants and St. Louis (who were denied Stanton's services earlier).
marintez does seem to be a prime suspect to become a sox now. another name i have seen bantered about is...

- Yelich, marlins, gold glove outfielder, young, good hitter with some power. salary? got 4/$43.25 with a $15 option for 2022.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/yelicch01.shtml

such a trade might soften a trade of jbj for abreu. just thinking of options right now.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Jeter McHaled the Sox! Lets hope that monster contract becomes another Arod albatross. Super scary lineup. In the end though, pitching will win out but [dang], scary meat in that lineup while Sox are fishing for good hitters, Yankees caught the big one.

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
Jeter McHaled the Sox! Lets hope that monster contract becomes another Arod albatross. Super scary lineup. In the end though, pitching will win out but [dang], scary meat in that lineup while Sox are fishing for good hitters, Yankees caught the big one.
even with a less than MVP year, stanton will probably give them 2-4 more wins. the sox finished 2 games ahead of the yankees for first place last season.

it is easy to see the yanks winning the division and the sox being the wild card team. but then again, if the sox get a good hitter, everyone improves in the line up. plus, maybe the sox dont have as many injuries either.

in any case, next year will be VERY competitive in the AL east.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
Jeter just did what a lot of people suspected was in the cards all along. Stanton to the Yankees.

On paper, the Yankee lineup looks ridiculous. But neither Stanton nor Judge figures to repeat the year they had last year. Stanton, especially, is injury prone.

The Yankees had a magical year last year in which nearly everyone overachieved. They might just come back to earth this year--even with Stanton. And they lost their 2nd baseman, Castro, in the Stanton deal. Castro hit an unbelievable .300 last year.

The real need for the Yankees is starting pitching. Other than Severino, the other starters are questionable. They don't have the starting rotation to win a championship. But wait a few days. They've been a 900lb gorilla of decades outspending everybody ($1 billion in luxury taxes!), and it looks like that gorilla is thirsty for another championship.

Meanwhile Mr Henry spends too much time counting his money and making poor financial baseball decisions.

Yeah, sucks to hear. Last night was awful, from the Celtics suffering that heartbreaking loss, to realizing the Yankees could get Stanton (and this morning, they did).

Either way, Red Sox HAVE to do something, otherwise ratings will definitely be down next year and lots of fans are going to be mad.

Part of me wonders if they will now be in play for Harper next winter, or another star FA (not Machado, b/c he hates us LOL).

Apparently Sox are now showing interest in Pat Neshek, so maybe they add him or Bryan Shaw (another GREAT RELIEVER) to help out with the BP a bit.

But at this point, it's JD Martinez or bust this winter. Hosmer is overrated (NOT a power bat), and while I like Carlos Santana, he's just not going to cut it either. Logan Morrison, maybe, since he hit 38 HR last year, but that could be a big anomaly as well.
ratings down? this is the boston red sox we are talking about. the fans will not start abandeoning the sox because the yankees get a star player.

stanton helps the yankees, of course. but as was pointed out above, the team as a whole out played their talent and they still have starting pitching weaknesses. over 162 games that weakness will show up.

and the sox have not yet made their big off season move, so let's wait and see folks.

Hey I'm a Sox fan for life, and I'll stay even in a 120-loss season, but I'm talking about the fan base in general. Apparently, Gregorious-Stanton-Judge-Sanchez hit 169 HR last year. Red Sox only had 168 from everyone on the team...

And I only said ratings would go down IF the Sox whiff on the other big name targets and pretty much bring back the same team as last year (or just a "moderate upgrade" like Santana or Morrison at 1B instead of Moreland).

Now my hope is, the Sox can land JD Martinez for like 6/160M, although now there may be a bit of a bidding war with SF Giants and St. Louis (who were denied Stanton's services earlier).
marintez does seem to be a prime suspect to become a sox now. another name i have seen bantered about is...

- Yelich, marlins, gold glove outfielder, young, good hitter with some power. salary? got 4/$43.25 with a $15 option for 2022.

such a trade might soften a trade of jbj for abreu. just thinking of options right now.
By unloading Stanton this allows the fish to keep Yelich and build around him. I think the next one to move from the Marlins is Prado

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

By unloading Stanton this allows the fish to keep Yelich and build around him. I think the next one to move from the Marlins is Prado
you are probably correct and i was just speculating of possible actions by the sox. but the marlins are such a poorly run franchise anything is possible.

but i do expect the sox to move very quickly and acquire a power bat in the next week or so. as ever, the yanks and sox make for an exciting off season and in season.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White

you are probably correct and i was just speculating of possible actions by the sox. but the marlins are such a poorly run franchise anything is possible.

but i do expect the sox to move very quickly and acquire a power bat in the next week or so. as ever, the yanks and sox make for an exciting off season and in season.

I agree, let's hope it's not a panic move though

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White

I don't like the fact he went to NY, but to be fair, Stanton dictated the teams he would go to, Jeter didn't say no to the Cards or Giants, Stanton did, and the Dodgers never put a serious offer in, add to that the fact Denbo ran the Yankees minor leagues and knows the prospects offered better than ones from other teams this makes sense. So people need to stop with the Jeter planned this to happen

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Was a perfect storm to go to Stanton. Too bad he did not have Red Sox on his list. Would have given them a better package. Yankees stealing him.

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Not happening, but could you imagine a Betts-Benintendi-Harper outfield in 2019  :o  :P

Anyways, I think Henry and co. will spend a lot in the coming years, as Yankees are and definitely will going forward.

Makes me think they sign someone this year, then next year when LOTS of guys/bad contracts are off the books, they can make some more moves then too. (Not saying Harper, but there are A LOT of stars in FA who could be available next winter)

For now. Martinez-or-bust.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Giants fan here, and I'm still disappointed by this. It's hard to convince Stanton to come to the Bay after a 98 loss season, but I thought we could have convinced him that part of it is injuries, and we could bounce back.

With that said, at least he's not going to the Dodgers.

Ha! And all of my Dodgers friends here in L.A. are saying, "At least he didn't go to the Giants"!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Stanton literally pulled a Kevin Durant on his way to the Yanks.

I mean, his 4 teams he said he would waive his NTC for literally all were the Final Four in last year's postseason (Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Yankees).  :P

Oh, and of course Jeter now being on the Marlins..  :-\

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Stanton literally pulled a Kevin Durant on his way to the Yanks.

I mean, his 4 teams he said he would waive his NTC for literally all were the Final Four in last year's postseason (Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Yankees).  :P

Oh, and of course Jeter now being on the Marlins..  :-\
I dont recall Kevin Durant being forced out of OKC by management.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Thats a bad contract. Im happy this happened.

Yankees look dangerous now, but I dont think this was a good move for New York in the long run.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thats a bad contract. Im happy this happened.

Yankees look dangerous now, but I dont think this was a good move for New York in the long run.

Yeah unless Stanton opts-out in 3 years and goes to the Dodgers (which is actually a possibility), which would mean Yanks gave up little and got Stanton for around 3 years/77M.

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think the Sox will pass on Xander and JBJ when its time to sign them long term. They may even trade one/both. Long term, I think their major pieces are Betts, Benitendi, Devers, Sale, Kimbrel, and that's about it.

They could add Martinez or Hosmer, but hopefully not both. I don't imagine that their contracts will justify their performance past 30yo. I think Price might need to be traded, opening up another need to sign a SP.

The Sox will need to make some type of splash. I'm guessing that it might be something that many aren't even considering at this point.