Author Topic: "Elam Ending" Theory to help Hacking end of games  (Read 6515 times)

Re: "Elam Ending" Theory to help Hacking end of games
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
get ready forrrr..er

HACK A TaCKO

If Tacko is really incapable of improving his shot he should just reach out as far as he can with one hand and flip the ball towards the hoop. He’s pretty decent within 5 feet of the rim. How close do you think he can get reaching from behind the foul line?

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
get ready forrrr..er

HACK A TaCKO

If Tacko is really incapable of improving his shot he should just reach out as far as he can with one hand and flip the ball towards the hoop. He’s pretty decent within 5 feet of the rim. How close do you think he can get reaching from behind the foul line?

Can you run and jump from the free throw line, releasing the ball before you touch the ground?

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2019, 08:22:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
get ready forrrr..er

HACK A TaCKO

Can you run and jump from the free throw line, releasing the ball before you touch the ground?
Pretty sure that's a lane violation
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't see a real problem with the intentional fouling.  It can get annoying at times, but the overall product is excellent right now.  Making any sort of change wouldn't move the needle in a positive direction, at least not after the gimmick wears off on everyone.

The quality of the product throughout a full 48 minutes is what matters.  I'm not going to tune out of an entertaining game just because the flow gets disrupted by late game fouling.  At that point I'm emotionally invested in the outcome and/or possibility for a dramatic finish.  On the other hand, it can get really difficult to sit through a game where both teams are in constant foul trouble.

I understand the point about the full 48 minutes, but I don't agree that end game fouling is no problem. Some games become almost unwatchable in the last few minutes. I do agree that they should not enact something gimmicky like the Elam ending, but there are simple things they could do that would help. Making an intentional foul result in one free throw plus keeping possession would do it.

TP Belle.

Good idea. Let's think of some solutions to this glaring issue

Ran through some of the problems with that here:

How do you determine intent in a way that can be consistently applied?

Sure some fouls are clearly intentional, but players will start making them look less intentional the instant this change is made. If a team's playing physical defense because they're behind and can't "intentionally" foul, what's the border between a foul that's slightly below being considered intentional and one that's slightly above it? Establishing true intent requires telepathy, which means refs will have to guess nearly every time. Plus the injury risk goes up now that defenders have to make fouls "look real" which generally translates to "more contact with less control".

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 11:03:56 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I prefer they make the game more entertaining by implementing the 1+1 the NCAA uses. Don't bail these people out for being crappy at a skill, make them get better. It gives the losing team a better chance at winning the game (more entertainment).

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
get ready forrrr..er

HACK A TaCKO

They made a rule against that to prevent Wilt from dunking it on FTs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2019, 08:50:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
They could make a FT a one shot two points opportunity.

Speed the game up.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They could make a FT a one shot two points opportunity.

Speed the game up.
IIRC a large portion of poor free throw shooters shoot far worse on their first attempt compared to the second. (Rondo was like this I know)

Though overall I would be fine with this, it would just add some variance without changing the overall result much. Make it easier to have crazy comebacks for sure late game due to that variance.

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I've been thinking for a while that the way fouls are handled in general in the NBA is ridiculous.  A foul is when a player commits an illegal act against the rules of the game.  When thought of like that, teams should always be penalized for this, never rewarded.  A foul's penalty should be such that it cannot be utilized in a gimmicky way that can benefit a team.  How I'd like fouls to be handled:
  • Every foul committed inside the paint by a defender is two shots and ball.  Every foul committed by a defender outside the paint is one shot and ball.  Fouls committed by offensive players or loose-ball just award possession.
  • Refs have to officiate games much more leniently.  More like college ball rather than NBA, but even more like high school than college.  Allow some contact.  (aka "Let them play")
  • Don't reward offensive players for trying to draw the foul.
  • Players only get 4 personal fouls per game.  With a stricter limit and all fouls turning into shots, you probably don't need to worry about team fouls anymore and can remove them from the game.
  • Refs can eject a player for flagrant fouls on the spot, but in-game review on flagrant fouls is taken away.  Flagrant foul reviews are all conducted post-game by the league and penalties assessed thereafter.

One thing people might be concerned with in this change making it difficult for teams to make a comeback.  What I envision is with more contact allowed and refs allowing play more, the defensive teams can play more aggressively and actually try to get steals without fear of immediately being whistled for it.  Which IMO results in more pure basketball.

Another concern is that players will tire more easily since they will have to play more continuous basketball without getting a break every 30 seconds  ;)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2019, 12:16:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Honestly if you really wanted to remove the advantage of a take foul you could just have no free throws for non-shooting, non-flagrant fouls in the last 2 minutes. Just shot clock resets.

However defense would get probably really physical late in tight games, because turnovers become their only hope and getting whistled just means they get to try again. So there might be even more stoppages.

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Really, why not just give the team fouled the option of side out or free throws.  Simple, done.  Side out is shot clock reset to 14 for first foul, in last 2 minutes and 24 for each subsequent foul.  That keeps teams for repeatedly fouling at 13 seconds.