Author Topic: Whose gunna have a breakout season? Who has blown their chance?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Guys I expect to break out in 19-20..

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Underrated during his time with the Nets. There’s no replacing Kawhi, but RHJ is going to be a fan favorite in Toronto with his grit and grind style of play.

DeJounte Murray. Coming off an injury, but by all accounts is on the road to recovery and seemed studious and driven during his time away from the game.

Zach Collins. Underwhelmed his first two seasons, but possesses the qualities team want in modern bigs. PF/C’s are generally slower to develop, but I think we’re going to see why Portland took Collins so high just two years ago.

Markelle Fultz. A lot of Celtics fans like to root against Fultz so they can continue to gloat about the infamous Tatum-Fultz swap. I, on the other hand, am rooting for Fultz. I see a nice shy kid who has been under an enormous amount of scrutiny for such a young guy, and is really like to see him thrive on an up and coming Orlando squad.

Dennis Smith. I think Smith will show this year that he was worthy of being a central piece in the Porzingis trade. Still one of the most athletic guards we’ve ever seen come in to the league.

Josh Jackson. I would read very little in to Phoenix giving up on Jackson. They are pretty consistent when it comes to being horrible at developing and identifying talent. Jackson’s hustle will be well received in Memphis.

Miles Bridges. Easily Charlottes best young piece moving forward post-Kemba. Going to excel at either forward spot.

Guys who have pretty much blown their chance in the league...

Jahlil Okafor. Good player, born in the wrong era. Minutes are going to be tight in the Pelicans now loaded front court. Expecting Okafor to follow in the foot steps of the likes of Jared Sullinver and Greg Monroe and sign overseas.

Jabari Parker. About to be casted aside on the Hawks in favor of young guys like Collins and Hunter who actually want to play defense. What a shame about Jabari. There was a time where I thought he’d have AT LEAST a Carmelo type career.

Malik Monk. No defense, and doesn’t even do what he was advertised to do well - score. Very inefficient, running out of time to prove himself. Another Michael Jordan swing and a miss?

Ben McLemore. Does this one need further explanation?

Stanley Johnson. Tossed aside by both Detroit and New Orleans. A pretty good indicator he’s not long for this league. There was a point in time where I was hoping the Celtics would give up significant assets to move up for this guy..YIKES.

Mario Hezonja. Blocking Lebron was the highlight of this guys career/life. Going to be casted aside in Portland for better wings. A back up at best.

How’d I do?Would you guys add or take away anyone from either list?

Re: Whose gunna have a breakout season? Who has blown their chance?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Guys I expect to break out in 19-20..

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Underrated during his time with the Nets. There’s no replacing Kawhi, but RHJ is going to be a fan favorite in Toronto with his grit and grind style of play.

DeJounte Murray. Coming off an injury, but by all accounts is on the road to recovery and seemed studious and driven during his time away from the game.

Zach Collins. Underwhelmed his first two seasons, but possesses the qualities team want in modern bigs. PF/C’s are generally slower to develop, but I think we’re going to see why Portland took Collins so high just two years ago.

Markelle Fultz. A lot of Celtics fans like to root against Fultz so they can continue to gloat about the infamous Tatum-Fultz swap. I, on the other hand, am rooting for Fultz. I see a nice shy kid who has been under an enormous amount of scrutiny for such a young guy, and is really like to see him thrive on an up and coming Orlando squad.

Dennis Smith. I think Smith will show this year that he was worthy of being a central piece in the Porzingis trade. Still one of the most athletic guards we’ve ever seen come in to the league.

Josh Jackson. I would read very little in to Phoenix giving up on Jackson. They are pretty consistent when it comes to being horrible at developing and identifying talent. Jackson’s hustle will be well received in Memphis.

Miles Bridges. Easily Charlottes best young piece moving forward post-Kemba. Going to excel at either forward spot.

Guys who have pretty much blown their chance in the league...

Jahlil Okafor. Good player, born in the wrong era. Minutes are going to be tight in the Pelicans now loaded front court. Expecting Okafor to follow in the foot steps of the likes of Jared Sullinver and Greg Monroe and sign overseas.

Jabari Parker. About to be casted aside on the Hawks in favor of young guys like Collins and Hunter who actually want to play defense. What a shame about Jabari. There was a time where I thought he’d have AT LEAST a Carmelo type career.

Malik Monk. No defense, and doesn’t even do what he was advertised to do well - score. Very inefficient, running out of time to prove himself. Another Michael Jordan swing and a miss?

Ben McLemore. Does this one need further explanation?

Stanley Johnson. Tossed aside by both Detroit and New Orleans. A pretty good indicator he’s not long for this league. There was a point in time where I was hoping the Celtics would give up significant assets to move up for this guy..YIKES.

Mario Hezonja. Blocking Lebron was the highlight of this guys career/life. Going to be casted aside in Portland for better wings. A back up at best.

How’d I do?Would you guys add or take away anyone from either list?

You nailed Hezonja part for sure. This dude doesn't love basketball.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Break out? Jayson Tatum. I really think he’ll take the leap forward.

Bust? Markelle Fultz. He’s done. He’s pure potential and at this point, it looks like it’ll go untapped for a long time. I can see him coming back when he’s in his prime (5 years from now?) after he’s played some years overseas. He could be a really solid role player.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 12:41:59 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Has it been determined what is wrong with Fultz at this point ? Was the shoulder injury real ? Not calling the kid a fraud, but that entire diagnosis came off shaky - didn't it change a couple of times ? Is the problem mental - did he struggle with the pressure of being the #1 draft pick, have a slight physical problem and then lose his confidence in a cumulative meltdown ?

I don't root against Fultz either, though i did not want to see him become a superstar with the 76ers because they stand in our way. I do take some pleasure in Ainge and Stevens identifying the better talent in Tatum - kinda reminds me of when Red traded for Parish and took McHale with the #3 pick and gave Golden State the rights to draft Joe Barry Carroll.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 07:04:50 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't think Hezonja doesn't love basketball, I think he's struggling to adapt to life in the USA. You have to be aware it's incredibly different to Europe. Even from England people I know found the differences stark and we speak the same language. Some people love it and others miss the European style of things.

Some guys just won't like it as much and that seems to have impacted his play. Given he was already heading for borderline nba status that doesn't bode well.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Other break out candidates...

Justice Winslow, Luke Kennard, Miles Bridges

More guys who are done...

Frank Ntilikina, Frank Kaminsky, Dante Exum

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Break out? Jayson Tatum. I really think he’ll take the leap forward.

Bust? Markelle Fultz. He’s done. He’s pure potential and at this point, it looks like it’ll go untapped for a long time. I can see him coming back when he’s in his prime (5 years from now?) after he’s played some years overseas. He could be a really solid role player.

I would argue Tatums breakout year was his rookie season - especially with his performance in the playoffs. I am talking about players who haven’t really proven anything in the league who are going to this year.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »

Offline Ty_Unabi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
This is Gordon Haywards Team, he and Kemba are the best players.(Breakout)
None of the players have blown their chance, last year Irving blew his chance.