Author Topic: Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!  (Read 6147 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
There is serious downside to RFA, it can be for a 2+1 or a 3+1 (if the C's submit a maximum qualifying offer)

Or even worse, he takes the qualifying offer and walks as a UFA the next year.

In all honesty this is the most likely scenario.  The Celtics will make a low-ball extension offer, which Brown (having undoubtedly been tampered with) will decline and head to free-agency where he'll get market value on a team that has cap-space and the opportunity for him to play.
Why is this the most likely outcome?

There has been no reports of Jaylen not liking being in Boston or Boston not valuing Brown extremely high and or Boston not willing to give Brown max money.

The most likely scenario is Jaylen signs a 4 or 5 year deal with Boston next offseason. What that contract is worth? I don't know. It is going to depend on what Brown does this season. But I have no doubt that Ainge and Brown will come together on a figure that keeps Brown here for many years.

That's not a sure thing.

You will be right if Brown plays well and ends up having a great season.

But if Brown is just a 14 to 15 points per game guy this coming season, Ainge might trade Brown on or before the trade deadline.

Why I keep saying the Celts might trade Brown?

Answer: Romeo Langford

Celts picking Langford was very unusual.
With Brown, Hayward, and Smart all going to get minutes at SG, why pick another SG with your lottery pick?

That's why I don't think it's a sure thing that Jaylen Brown will be Celtic for many years to come.

Celts had a lot of options at #14.
But they went with a SG.
So that tells us a lot about how the Celts feel about their SG situation.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
There is serious downside to RFA, it can be for a 2+1 or a 3+1 (if the C's submit a maximum qualifying offer)

In all honesty this is the most likely scenario.  The Celtics will make a low-ball extension offer, which Brown (having undoubtedly been tampered with) will decline and head to free-agency where he'll get market value on a team that has cap-space and the opportunity for him to play.

There has been no reports of Jaylen not liking being in Boston or Boston not valuing Brown extremely high and or Boston not willing to give Brown max money.

The most likely scenario is Jaylen signs a 4 or 5 year deal with Boston next offseason. What that contract is worth? I don't know. It is going to depend on what Brown does this season. But I have no doubt that Ainge and Brown will come together on a figure that keeps Brown here for many years.

That's not a sure thing.

But if Brown is just a 14 to 15 points per game guy this coming season, Ainge might trade Brown on or before the trade deadline.

With Brown, Hayward, and Smart all going to get minutes at SG, why pick another SG with your lottery pick?

That's why I don't think it's a sure thing that Jaylen Brown will be Celtic for many years to come.

But they went with a SG.
I thought about this and I don't think it's an indicator of how they feel about Jaylen necessarily but more-so that he is the most valuable trade chip, the Celtics would be willing to trade (i.e. Tatum is close to untouchable). In any instance, if he makes it past the deadline, it makes the most sense to attempt a 4 or 5 year deal and remain on standby for a superstar to request a trade.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 08:47:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's not a sure thing.

But they went with a SG.
Dude...the Celtics took Langford because he was best player available. You don't pick for need that high, you take what you feel is the best player and if it's at a position of strength, you figure stuff out later.

They did not draft Langford because of plans to move Brown. They drafted Langford because he was BPA. If Langford played C, PF or PG, he would have been the pick because he was BPA not a SG.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

That's not a sure thing.

But they went with a SG.
I don't think so. I think Brad is firmly committed to a 3 wing lineup, and Ainge is committed acquiring the best asset he can. Langford wasn't my first choice at 14 for sure, but I don't think we can read too much into that either way.

You may be right, the most tradeable commodity we have is Jaylen. But from Keith Smith's article a few days ago, and common sense, the Celtics love him. I believe the only way Ainge will trade him is if he gets an offer that knocks his socks off.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:29:50 PM by ETNCeltics »

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I really don't know how Ainge would "replace" Brown if he didn't sign him.

Brown will get his value when Ainge, whom has had the value of this contract on a cap chart in his office...since he signed him as a rookie, needs to.

Brown played very well in the playoffs unlike some of his team mates and will be a good player for the Celtics or eventually get traded for one is that's what Mr. Ainge wants to do.

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 03:42:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

This is absolutely the least likely scenario.

Firstly because Danny would have let it get to that stage, if he isn't willing to consider near the max then he'll have traded Jaylen by then.

Secondly because this is Jaylens first major contract. He isn't going to risk all that earning potential by taking the qo. The list of players who have done that is ridiculously small.

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 04:36:31 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I honestly think we’ll lose brown if 1) we don’t offer the max, and 2) give him an opportunity to play like a max player. Imo, he’s 4th right now in the pecking order (probably rightfully so!). I would think that’s tough to stomach for a young player.
- LilRip