Author Topic: Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!  (Read 6127 times)

Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/24/nuggets-jamal-murray-contract-extension/

Jamal Murray was drafted 7th in the 2016 NBA draft (4 spots after Brown)

He's reportedly signed a 4 year 170 million dollar extension with the Nuggets.

This is now most likely the floor for what Jaylen Brown will be asking for.  I'm not looking forward at all to listening to Celtics fans simultaneously argue that Brown was/is a better pick than Murray and deserves less money to stay. 

Re: Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
His floor then also happens to be his ceiling, as that is the max they could offer him.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I thought it’s a 5 years contract for Murray not 4

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I thought it’s a 5 years contract for Murray not 4

Don't worry, it is.

His floor then also happens to be his ceiling, as that is the max they could offer him.

Yep, kind-of hard to say something is a floor when you literally can't go a penny higher than that contract. I am not sure why the Nuggets jumped the gun so early (we've known about this for weeks), but they are apparently all-in on Murray.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They believe in Murray. They also didn't want him to get potentially get a 3 + 1 deal in RFA, prefer to have him locked in for 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 01:48:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
They believe in Murray. They also didn't want him to get potentially get a 3 + 1 deal in RFA, prefer to have him locked in for 5 years.
not a bad idea on their part.  wondering if Danny's thinking along those lines for Jaylen and subsequently Jayson.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That's what Jaylen will be asking for (as it's the most he could get, as DWC points out), but I don't know if that's the floor of what he will get.

Like Murray, Jaylen has shown flashes.  I think Jaylen is going to have to show that he can carry a larger offensive load over the course of the regular season.  If Jaylen is simply a 14-15 ppg scorer with solid-not-great efficiency and good-not-great defense, he would probably be overpaid if gets what Murray got.

On the other hand, if Jaylen is more like a 18-20 ppg scorer with solid efficiency and good multi-position defense, he's probably worth the money.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, hed need a leap to justify that IMO. Last year he was a 13/4.2/1.4 on .465/.344/.529 shooting. Murray was a 18.2/4.2/4.8 on .437/.467/.848 shooting. He is one year younger as well.

Jaylen has potential to be a great defender, but it is not a given. Unless he shows more i wouldnt offer him max money at this point. And i think we are past the point where draft spot matters for negotiating future contracts.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
not a bad idea on their part.  wondering if Danny's thinking along those lines for Jaylen and subsequently Jayson.

It's not a bad idea, but it hasn't always worked out for other teams (see Andrew Wiggins). They must truly believe in him as a player.

Also, I keep seeing, 'if they don't lock up X for an extension now, they may only be able to secure him for 3 years.' While this is technically true, if Murray played out the year and proved himself worthy of a 5-yr max contract (with 8% raises), it is highly unlikely he turns that down just to sign a 3+1 offer sheet with another team (since the Nuggets would just match). That seems like a very costly decision that a player would only do out of spite. And 3 years is a long time - if that player still despises the franchise in 2 years, you trade him for a solid package.

Because Jaylen isn't a slam dunk at this point, I see no way the Cs give him the 5-yr max extension now. It would however be wonderful if he proved himself to be that player this season and see him eventually get that contract. If not, well, we are left negotiating as we did with Smart (not likely since he'll get other offers), letting him walk (impossible), or only being on the hook for the same 3+1 contract (with 5% raises) that a FA would get with another team.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
His floor is Aaron Gordon's contract, which comparably under this salary cap would be 24 million descending each year, or about 90 million total over 4 years.

His ceiling is the max, which is 170 million over 5 years.

I would give it to him. I would offer the full 5 year.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let Brown play the season and that should determine what he signs for. Ainge generally doesn't give out extensions, at least in the last 10 years he hasn't(Rondo being the last player he did it with).

Brown is in an odd spot because he looked so great his sophomore year, but he didn't really develop last year, but then, none of the Celtic youth did last year. So maybe all of the Celtic youth get a pass for last year because the environment was so toxic and not good for development. 

So, because of last year, even if you give Brown some slack for his season, still should be handled contract-wise with some caution. I think it's best to see what he does this year and base his next contract on how much he takes a step forward.

There is just no reason to rush things and jump into a full 5 year extension. Danny could just as easily give him a 5 year max at 25% of the cap next offseasons if Brown has a stellar year.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
His floor is Aaron Gordon's contract, which comparably under this salary cap would be 24 million descending each year, or about 90 million total over 4 years.

Nope, sorry.  With both Simmons and Murray getting 5 year 170 million dollar contracts there's no way Brown re-ups for less than that. 

Hopefully the Celtics agree with your stance that he deserves the max, since they're definitely going to lose him for nothing in free agency if they try to low-ball him.  Certainly no team is going to trade for him knowing they could just outbid the Celtics for his services in free agency.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If I'm Danny I'd probably offer him like $120 million over 5 years and see if he's able to turn that down. He probably is, but it would seem like a bargain if he steps up this year like I think he will.  He's going to go into what looks like a weak FA market and if we can't get the extension locked down he'll probably find someone to give him a max offer sheet.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Hopefully the Celtics agree with your stance that he deserves the max, since they're definitely going to lose him for nothing in free agency if they try to low-ball him.  Certainly no team is going to trade for him knowing they could just outbid the Celtics for his services in free agency.

He's an RFA, we can't be outbid.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Nope, sorry.  With both Simmons and Murray getting 5 year 170 million dollar contracts there's no way Brown re-ups for less than that. 

Brown is a restricted free agent. Ainge can match any contract Brown signs. Jaylen is going nowhere fast if Ainge wants him on this team.