Author Topic: Steve Kerr: AD's trade request "bad for the league"  (Read 8336 times)

Re: Steve Kerr: AD's trade request "bad for the league"
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think what I would say is that if the star players feel as though they shouldnt have to play out a multi-year deal with a team they don't want to be on, then the teams should be able to cut players who are hurt or underperforming without taking a cap hit or having to pay the remainder.

Can't have it both ways. You want the security of multiple years guaranteed, you can't expect to have the freedom to insist that the team send you somewhere that you like better when there are multiple years remaining on your deal.
But they do have to play out the contract, unless the team trades them. The teams do not have to trade the player, they do it so they can get some assets when the player tells them he will not resign. They could hold on to the player, make him honor the contract, and then get nothing when he signs with another team as a free agent.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kawhi sure honored his contract with the Spurs.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
While I do have opinions on this issue, this is a test post as I’ve been locked out of the forums all day, and this is the first thread I’ve been able to post to.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
While I do have opinions on this issue, this is a test post as I’ve been locked out of the forums all day, and this is the first thread I’ve been able to post to.

We had some major issues this morning.  The entire blog was kicked out for a few hours.  Should be resolved now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 03:18:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think what I would say is that if the star players feel as though they shouldnt have to play out a multi-year deal with a team they don't want to be on, then the teams should be able to cut players who are hurt or underperforming without taking a cap hit or having to pay the remainder.

Can't have it both ways. You want the security of multiple years guaranteed, you can't expect to have the freedom to insist that the team send you somewhere that you like better when there are multiple years remaining on your deal.
But they do have to play out the contract, unless the team trades them. The teams do not have to trade the player, they do it so they can get some assets when the player tells them he will not resign. They could hold on to the player, make him honor the contract, and then get nothing when he signs with another team as a free agent.

There's a difference between telling the team that you don't plan to re-sign versus telling the team you want a trade and having your agent do everything he can to force your team's hand to trade you to the exact place you want to go.

Between Kawhi, AD, and Paul George, it seems we're seeing a lot more players who are doing what they can to force their team to trade them. 

I don't have a problem with players privately telling the team they are planning to go elsewhere in FA, as long as they continue to work hard for the team as long as they're on it.  Certainly it's better than what a certain somebody did, i.e. state publicly that he plans to stay, then totally change course without making a clear indication to the team of his intentions, while noticeably checking out  emotionally and in terms of effort, before ghosting the team once the season is over.

I think the ideal would be that the player and their agent have a running dialogue with the front office so everybody is on the same page.  But you don't make public the fact that you're planning on leaving or that you've demanded a trade.  That actively forces the team's hand and also sabotages the team's leverage for executing a deal.

I honestly don't know how the league is supposed to enforce this stuff though.  You can't really use rules to eliminate leaks from agents to the press (or GMs to the press, for that matter).  You can't prevent the players from talking to one another.  The players and their agents are going to scheme to engineer the situations they want.  I think we're going to see more and more players do what Paul George did, which is demand a trade even though they have several years remaining on their deal.  We'll also see more players do what Kawhi did, i.e. effectively sit out almost an entire season.

I don't see a way to fix the behavior, so I would say that the teams ought to get something in return -- you want to renege on your obligation to give a good faith effort for the team while you're under contract?  You want to have agency to choose wherever you play because you're a star?  Fine ... get rid of fully guaranteed long term deals, then.

If stars want to be able to do what Paul George, Kawhi, AD, etc did, then they shouldn't be able to do what John Wall is doing right now, i.e. collecting a huge check for multiple years despite not being able to play at anywhere near the level he could when the deal was signed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:27:05 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
So the man who adds the 2nd best player in the league after finishing a season 73-9 is complaining about things that are bad for the league and that wasn't it.  Give me a break.  What a hypocrite. 

And here's the thing, Kerr is just wrong.  AD honored his contract.  He didn't sit out.  He never refused to play.  Apparently Kerr thinks it would have been better if Davis just played out his contract and left the Pelicans with nothing.  How is that better for the league.  At least now, the Lakers gave up real assets and the Pelicans got a real chance at starting over. 

So to recap, Kerr thinks it is better for the league for a small market to be left with nothing all while being cool with adding a MVP to the best regular season team in history for basically nothing.  What a piece of work.

I think at least part of the issue with Davis for a lot of people was that it was a public trade demand made by his agent. I think that a lot less people would have issue with it if he had gone to the management and said he was not on the same path as them (Westbrook basically just did this and nobody seemed to have a problem with it. Also if I am not mistaken what his agent did WAS actually against the rules. I think Davis was fine for this.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So the man who adds the 2nd best player in the league after finishing a season 73-9 is complaining about things that are bad for the league and that wasn't it.  Give me a break.  What a hypocrite. 

And here's the thing, Kerr is just wrong.  AD honored his contract.  He didn't sit out.  He never refused to play.  Apparently Kerr thinks it would have been better if Davis just played out his contract and left the Pelicans with nothing.  How is that better for the league.  At least now, the Lakers gave up real assets and the Pelicans got a real chance at starting over. 

So to recap, Kerr thinks it is better for the league for a small market to be left with nothing all while being cool with adding a MVP to the best regular season team in history for basically nothing.  What a piece of work.

Don’t think he was saying that. 

"If you come to an agreement with the team that, 'Hey, it's probably best for us to part ways,' that's one thing," Kerr said. "But the Davis stuff was really kind of groundbreaking -- and hopefully not a trend, because it's bad for the league."
That is exactly what he is saying.  he is saying the players shouldn't tell the team they want to leave and then just leave when the contract is up.  Just like Lebron and Durant have done in their careers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Asking for a trade is not the same thing as not playing out a contract.  Davis absolutely would have played out his contract.  Heck he wanted to play last year it was the Pelicans that shut him down. 

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think at least part of the issue with Davis for a lot of people was that it was a public trade demand made by his agent. I think that a lot less people would have issue with it if he had gone to the management and said he was not on the same path as them (Westbrook basically just did this and nobody seemed to have a problem with it. Also if I am not mistaken what his agent did WAS actually against the rules. I think Davis was fine for this.
Nothing stays private.  Look at the Irving and Cavs situation.  Irving did it privately and it was released to the public.  And it was released to the public in a way that made Irving look awful. 

And yes you aren't allowed to do it and Davis was fined 50k for Paul confirming to Woj that they asked for a trade.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   The organization  #1 loyalty is to the team. It’s understandable to ya e hurt feelings being traded but every player has to know that it’s not personal. I don’t believe it’s the same way the other way around. Players wear it like a medal around their neck that they can go and do what’s er they want. They’re right. Especially if they’ve fulfilled their contract. But I wish they wouldn’t flash it and talk about it like this right they ya r is such an accomplishment and wear it around like a medal. It’s nauseating hearing players brag about it constantly. Like many have said here, they don’t consider the fans very much. It used to be more about the fans. Players seemed genuinely grateful to the fans.  If I saw current players doing an “ NBA it’s Faaantastic” ad I’d roll my eyes” and say” please give me a break.”

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Asking for a trade is not the same thing as not playing out a contract.  Davis absolutely would have played out his contract.  Heck he wanted to play last year it was the Pelicans that shut him down.

The actions of his agent suggest something different.

Also -- "That's all folks!"

This is a player who checked out and made it known that he was not really on the team anymore even if technically he still was.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
All 4 major sports always have players ask to be traded..how many times have we heard "want a raise or trade me"
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
All 4 major sports always have players ask to be traded..how many times have we heard "want a raise or trade me"

Contract guarantees are much different in football.

If baseball worked like the NBA, Mike Trout would have forced his way to the Yankees (or the Dodgers) a long time ago.

I don't know anything about how it works in hockey.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

The actions of his agent suggest something different.

Also -- "That's all folks!"

This is a player who checked out and made it known that he was not really on the team anymore even if technically he still was.

Also there is a difference between what George and kyrie did doing a trade demand in the summer and doing it in middle of season to try and force the team into trading him (it created a distraction for many more people in season)

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Don’t think he was saying that. 

"If you come to an agreement with the team that, 'Hey, it's probably best for us to part ways,' that's one thing," Kerr said. "But the Davis stuff was really kind of groundbreaking -- and hopefully not a trend, because it's bad for the league."
That is exactly what he is saying.  he is saying the players shouldn't tell the team they want to leave and then just leave when the contract is up.  Just like Lebron and Durant have done in their careers.

In a funny sort of way though, the way AD did it eventually enabled the Pels to get back a huge return for him, because he basically told them with a year and a half to go. It ruined their season and affected the seasons of the teams linked with AD but NO eventually got a lot of assets back. Cleveland on the other hand didn't really get anything for LeBum, while GS had to engineer a sign and trade to get DLo.

I guess what Kerr wants is, let us know but don't make it public, we will try and move you if we can but if not you can leave in FA. Nobody needs to be the wiser till it actually happens.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D