Author Topic: Does Danny try to trade for Durant next summer?  (Read 7168 times)

Re: Does Danny try to trade for Durant next summer?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I seem to remember him saying something like the only team he'd play for other than OKC was the Wizards. Now that's a team poised to be ready to make a run at Durant.

If that above rumor isn't true, there's gotta be a reason that the Knicks went after Durant's trusted college coach and put him on their staff. I was under the impression that this coach friend of his had signed with Washington.

Jay Z as his manager and the buddy on the Knicks staff- they are setting it up for a colossal run at Durant too.

For us to even have a shot I think we'd need a 100% Rondo, a Marc Gasol or Hibbert, and Sully and Smart to both be near All Stars at their positions to have even a sniff.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
No shot

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I am willing to bet a year ago, no one thought Kevin Love was going anywhere.

What?  Pretty much everyone called this happening when he was signed to his current contract because of how upset he was that he didn't get the full five years.  Almost everyone knew this was going to happen unless the Wolves made the playoffs last year -- which, obviously, didn't happen.

Regardless, Cousins' four-year deal kicks in this season, so the Kings are under no pressure whatsoever to trade him even if he does grow unhappy next season.  There's a reason you generally don't see guys like Love, Melo, CP3, D12, etc. traded until their contracts are about to end: because teams try to do everything in their power to convince really good-to-great-to-elite players to stay for as long as they can.  There's no chance of the Kings losing Cousins anytime soon since he's been locked up for the next four years, so...

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah I gotta go with EP -- everyone knew Love was on the move as soon as Kahn picked Rubio.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »

fitzhickey

The only player I see Durant being traded for is LeBron. Maybe Anthony Davis with something else coming back. But through trade he is virtually untouchable, with the only hope of getting him being through Free Agency

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

What?  Pretty much everyone called this happening when he was signed to his current contract because of how upset he was that he didn't get the full five years.  Almost everyone knew this was going to happen unless the Wolves made the playoffs last year -- which, obviously, didn't happen.

Regardless, Cousins' four-year deal kicks in this season, so the Kings are under no pressure whatsoever to trade him even if he does grow unhappy next season.  There's a reason you generally don't see guys like Love, Melo, CP3, D12, etc. traded until their contracts are about to end: because teams try to do everything in their power to convince really good-to-great-to-elite players to stay for as long as they can.  There's no chance of the Kings losing Cousins anytime soon since he's been locked up for the next four years, so...

While I concur completely on all your points here, including the specific on KLove, to be fair to gpap, his second sentence after that was:

"It seems every year, there's always at least one NBA star who's rumored to be on the trade block."

Which is his real point.  And that does tend to be true.  For example, while certainly a few folks hypothesized about it, most people did not foresee Lebron going back to Cleveland this year, which really shook things up.

I think the point is simply that, while we can make some reasonable projections, there always seems to be one or two big changes or events (injuries, lottery results, unexpected trades, whatever) that changes the landscape.   A big star could get hurt this season.   An unexpected player could emerge as a star.   Somebody gets disgruntled and wants a trade.  And so on.

Reasonably, I doubt Danny has a bunny's chance in a lion's den of landing Kevin Durant.   

But I won't be shocked if SOMETHING changes between now and the summer of 2015 that allows Danny to do something that we can't easily foresee right now.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

While I concur completely on all your points here, including the specific on KLove, to be fair to gpap, his second sentence after that was:

"It seems every year, there's always at least one NBA star who's rumored to be on the trade block."

Which is his real point.  And that does tend to be true.  For example, while certainly a few folks hypothesized about it, most people did not foresee Lebron going back to Cleveland this year, which really shook things up.

I think the point is simply that, while we can make some reasonable projections, there always seems to be one or two big changes or events (injuries, lottery results, unexpected trades, whatever) that changes the landscape.   A big star could get hurt this season.   An unexpected player could emerge as a star.   Somebody gets disgruntled and wants a trade.  And so on.

Reasonably, I doubt Danny has a bunny's chance in a lion's den of landing Kevin Durant.   

But I won't be shocked if SOMETHING changes between now and the summer of 2015 that allows Danny to do something that we can't easily foresee right now.

Yup, that's exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you.

Every year brings a new development in the NBA.

I also agree getting Durant has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

I just sorta brought it up as a hypothetical of what DA could try to do in the next year in targeting another NBA star who could become disenchanted with his current team and/or heading towards the tail end of his current contract.

By the way, speaking of Durant, I also think the Knicks are setting themselves up for a serious run at him (the Derek Fisher connection as he played with KD last year and the Knicks recently hiring an assistant who's close to Durant.)

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 01:04:48 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
LOL our entire roster wouldn't fetch back Kevin Durant.  Nice to dream but it ain't happening barring some kind of bizarro situation.  IE the Thunder are suddenly blown up and they are forced to get rid of Durant.

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
One does not simply 'trade for Durant'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner