Author Topic: Does Danny try to trade for Durant next summer?  (Read 7168 times)

Does Danny try to trade for Durant next summer?
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Best case scenario:

Though the Celts likely miss the playoffs next season, their assets end up looking very impressive.

Sullinger, Olynyk, Smart, Young and Bradley all end up having a very good season, individually.

To make it even better: Similarly to the 06-07 campaign, though the young guys shows tons of potential, the team has an awful record and ends up with a top 3 pick next summer.

Would Danny cash in all his chips and try to land Durant in a trade, as he will only have 1 year left on his contract?

I guess the better question is would OKC even consider such a thing?

Probably not, but some factors that could change that:

1.)OKC ends up having a disappointing season next year by their standards, which is not making it past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

2.)Between now and then, you start to hear alot of grumbling about Durant becoming more and more restless with never having won a title in OKC.

3.) Though they obviously want to keep Durant, OKC also resigns themselves to the fact that the allure of a bigger market will be irresistable to Durant when he hits free agency in 2016. Thus, they try to cash in now and get something before they get nothing.

4.)Though OKC doesn't want their franchise and fan base to crumble, at least they'll still have Westbrook and Ibaka as the remnants of their existing core to build around.

Other things to consider

-We know DA (like probably every GM in the league) has always coveted Durant, as my theory is he would've picked him if the Celts won the no 1 pick back in '07.

-Admittedly, this could and likely is totally insignificant, but does Durant's friendship with Jeff Green from their OKC days play a role in Durant being interested in Boston?

-If OKC does consider such a trade, would we have the assets that would interest OKC? (remember, assuming we get a top 3 pick and our young guys really step it up next season.)

Likely pie in the sky, but it does sound like something DA would at least try and the narrative is similar to when he landed KG back in '07.

Re: Does Danny try to trade for Durant next summer?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I believe Durant will not be traded under any circumstance unless it is for Lebron James.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'm hoping the only reason why Rondo is still here is because Danny has thoughts of doing this.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:44 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I believe Durant will not be traded under any circumstance unless it is for Lebron James.
And I agree.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
And I agree.
completely agree.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Won't be trading for Durant.

But I can see Ainge trying his hardest to try and bring him here in Summer '16.  Wouldn't be entirely shocked if this Celtics team is still in rebuild mode and Ainge maintains flexibility 'til that summer.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

But I can see Ainge trying his hardest to try and bring him here in Summer '16.  Wouldn't be entirely shocked if this Celtics team is still in rebuild mode and Ainge maintains flexibility 'til that summer.

Between now and then however, the Celts will need another "draw" to help attract Durant to Boston.

Otherwise, I doubt he comes if other big market teams like New York and LA have cap space.

Let's not forget his hometown Wizards will have cap space as well in the summer of '16.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

There really is no other way to answer this scenario.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Between now and then however, the Celts will need another "draw" to help attract Durant to Boston.

Otherwise, I doubt he comes if other big market teams like New York and LA have cap space.

Let's not forget his hometown Wizards will have cap space as well in the summer of '16.

Yeah, I think its a long shot to begin with that KD would choose Boston over Washington or a bigger market.  It really would take more appealing pieces than the Celtics have now to get him over here.   Danny can be a heckuva snake oil salesman but this would be tough.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Yeah, I think its a long shot to begin with that KD would choose Boston over Washington or a bigger market.  It really would take more appealing pieces than the Celtics have now to get him over here.   Danny can be a heckuva snake oil salesman but this would be tough.

Lol, yup.

That's why I figured the only slim chance of Boston getting Durant (or any big name for that matter) is to try to trade for them.

Otherwise, I don't quite see why a big time FA would choose Boston, unless DA was able to pull of a "Ray Allen type" of deal to help attract a big name player.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
OKC probably wouldn't even trade KD for LeBron for the same reason New Orleans likely wouldn't trade Anthony Davis for either guy: they're younger and still have some room for growth to become the best player in the world.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Does Ainge try to trade for Durant? Sure. So do 28 other general managers.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
While we're at it, I'm going to try and convince Gisele to leave that loser husband of hers for me. 

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
even if the chances are 99.99999% no, as a GM you gotta at least try. Also, I don't exactly agree with OKC won't trade him.

Durant will be a FA soon, and if the TV deal with Turner and ESPN does come through, Danny has a lot of wiggle room to work with financially. Maybe a sign and trade can happen in which OKC doesn't get totally screwed with Durant leaving for nothing.

I mean it probably will not happen to us, but say Durant chooses to go home to DC, and sign with the Wizards, I can see a S&T

but I agree with the OP, we do have assets we can throw around and cash in.

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
yea just like the awesome package they put together that acquired Kevin Love..