Author Topic: Rajon Rondo:Built for halfcourt basketball  (Read 8552 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo:Built for halfcourt basketball
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I certainly don't think Rondo has leverage on Stevens with Ainge. Ainge is a smart man, he knows that is a mistake to allow.

I do agree Rondo is also really smart. He knows what he needs to do to be the Captain. He learned from a darn good one, one who had similar 'issues' when he was younger.

Oh I don't mean like Rondo is the power behind the puppet.
I do think at this stage in their respective careers Rondo's input is valued quite highly maybe moreso than among  any other Coach/ PG/ GM trio in this league. That's not a bad thing and if Rondo was trying anything that coulda undermined the team or Stevens role of authority we wouldn't be talking about Capt Rondo. Who like you mentioned learned from a good one...the ONLY other one under Ainge's watch.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
What a shocker, Rondo isn't exactly scintillating in his first two games back from a major knee injury.

This about sums it up right here.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
He cost me big money , I had the games total to go over 195, guy sucked the life out of me and the clock.

I honestly think rondos bought into the lose games for a high lottery pick. We've played great for stretches and the just shut it down late.

We find ways to lose.

N find ways to lose me about 2grand smh.
Don't blame the players for your gambling problems lol.

The C's are a solid defensive team and a crappy offensive team, betting the over at all is questionable any night. Let alone when we're working Rondo back into things.

Boss what have u been watching our defense is not that good lol
Magic defense is terrible.
Also the first half was looking like a sure over, the 4th quarter was Over basketball 27-27.
The third quarter was terrible, 30points scored.

The thing that I'm complaining about is the refs, the game would've went to overtime but they called a bs foul on hunphries , a loose ball foul with 10 seconds left BS

And then Avery passes to nobody

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He cost me big money , I had the games total to go over 195, guy sucked the life out of me and the clock.

I honestly think rondos bought into the lose games for a high lottery pick. We've played great for stretches and the just shut it down late.

We find ways to lose.

The C's are a solid defensive team and a crappy offensive team, betting the over at all is questionable any night. Let alone when we're working Rondo back into things.

Same games as you are.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2014.html

Our defense is average our offense is terrible.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Heck these first two games back he really reminds me of----well--Jordan Crawford! Letting the ball roll to save a couple of seconds(while the defense thanks him so they can get set up!), then picks it up and walks it up, hand held up calling a set play! What, 8/9 out of 10 times?

The time to push the action is off of defensive stops and turnovers, not made baskets where you have to inbound the ball.  If you want more running, there needs to be more gambling on defense to force turnovers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Heck these first two games back he really reminds me of----well--Jordan Crawford! Letting the ball roll to save a couple of seconds(while the defense thanks him so they can get set up!), then picks it up and walks it up, hand held up calling a set play! What, 8/9 out of 10 times?

The time to push the action is off of defensive stops and turnovers, not made baskets where you have to inbound the ball.  If you want more running, there needs to be more gambling on defense to force turnovers.

exactly..there's a such thing as pace and knowing when to slow the tempo down. Especially if there's too much frenetic up and down with no baskets being made.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:48:17 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown

We find ways to lose.

Same games as you are.

We have let up 100 points 8 out of last 10 games. Magic have let up close to the same. 100+100 is 200. 200 is more than 195. Lol I'm not trying to be smartass or anything but both teams play no defense, the over was a good play, between the refs and rondo taking his time up the floor, would've got Tommy heinson going crazy and got me going crazy lol.
13 points scored in the 3rd quarter is unheard of.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

We find ways to lose.

Same games as you are.

We have let up 100 points 8 out of last 10 games. Magic have let up close to the same. 100+100 is 200. 200 is more than 195. Lol I'm not trying to be smartass or anything but both teams play no defense, the over was a good play, between the refs and rondo taking his time up the floor, would've got Tommy heinson going crazy and got me going crazy lol.
Playing LAL, POR, DEN, GSW, OKC, and HOU all but the Lakers/Houston on the road should be factored in when you look at "trends" over the last "insert arbitrary endpoint" games.

Then playing eastern teams without great offenses and suddenly the scores are back down to earth. (we also held GSW in check pretty well which was nice)

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown

We find ways to lose.

Same games as you are.

Playing LAL, POR, DEN, GSW, OKC, and HOU all but the Lakers/Houston on the road should be factored in when you look at "trends" over the last "insert arbitrary endpoint" games.

Then playing eastern teams without great offenses and suddenly the scores are back down to earth. (we also held GSW in check pretty well which was nice)

Once again Orlando I has given up 105-110 almost all of there past 10 games as we'll. This game should've went over whether it been OT with that bs loose ball foul call or that Avery pass to nobody or that 3rd quarter.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Once again Orlando I has given up 105-110 almost all of there past 10 games as we'll. This game should've went over whether it been OT with that bs loose ball foul call or that Avery pass to nobody or that 3rd quarter.
Right, funny thing Orlando went on a western road trip similar to Boston also facing mostly good offensive squads. Most of the same schedule considerations that I brought up for Boston could be said for them. Overall their defense is 17th, slightly worse than the C's but not by much. Certainly not as awful as you seem to think.

Oh and Boston's offense is terrible as well so weakness meets average = disappointment for you I guess.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
Right, funny thing Orlando went on a western road trip similar to Boston also facing mostly good offensive squads. Most of the same schedule considerations that I brought up for Boston could be said for them. Overall their defense is 17th, slightly worse than the C's but not by much. Certainly not as awful as you seem to think.

Oh and Boston's offense is terrible as well so weakness meets average = disappointment for you I guess.

Boss ur points are not being validated in betting terms. In logic yes your right, but betting terms and handicapping mindset there's really no logic to your assessments.

Our first game with rondo back we scored 100, we've been averaging close to 100 points, regardless of west coast trip whatever, if anything the west coast teams are more competition then the eastern teams. Our first game back from a trip we scored 100points.

Also last game against Orlando went 120-100. First half of this game was at 100 and on pace to go over. Yes ur only winning this arguement because the game did go under. But if you were a gambler you'd win one bet every month playing off your guy feelings. Because basically what ur saying is you feel that celtics have an average defense and terrible offense, when statistically, our defense has been terrible past 10games and our offense has been average. Also in betting you have to calculate both teams not just the celtics. Magic are one of the worst defense teams in the league, and lately have been scoring over 100 regularly.

-JoePizz

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Magic are 17th in defensive rating that's not one of the worst defenses in the league.

Recency bias does make you think in betting terms, because most bettors are bad because of it.

Two average defenses and two horrible offenses met the idea that you're shocked they didn't go over is strange. The whole "but this quarter and half were on pace" again is just recency or end point biased thinking. Quarters are up and down just how the game is.

Recently both teams went on west coast swings and got housed, that doesn't invalidate the prior 30+ games of defensive work they'd put in. Or the entire run of terrible offensive games they'd put in either.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
Magic are 17th in defensive rating that's not one of the worst defenses in the league.

Recency bias does make you think in betting terms, because most bettors are bad because of it.

Two average defenses and two horrible offenses met the idea that you're shocked they didn't go over is strange. The whole "but this quarter and half were on pace" again is just recency or end point biased thinking. Quarters are up and down just how the game is.

Recently both teams went on west coast swings and got housed, that doesn't invalidate the prior 30+ games of defensive work they'd put in. Or the entire run of terrible offensive games they'd put in either.

Orlando gives up 104ppg, and is 21st in the league for OPP PPG.
Celtics are actually 9th with OPP ppg being 98.7

Which is still close to giving up 100 pg.

Now let's look at scoring wise.
Both teams are bad offensively

With Orlando scoring 96ppg
And cs scoring 95.2

You average all that out, games scoring should've been at 196.9 aka 197.
That's for the season

Now recently the total scored should have been 205, with the way both teams have been playing.
Also put into account their last meeting was a Final score of 120-100.

All trends and facts and numbers are set in stone this game should have went over, first half pace was to go over. The 3rd quarters pace was put down so much it could have been a fix. Literally the magic were running plays until 2-6 seconds left on the shot clock, and they have no players to be running set plays for except for Afflalo and the celtics were doing the same. Both teams have not been playing like this recently and as for the season only the celtics usually play like that.

Rondo slowed the game down, refs ended the game early with a loose ball foul call with 10 seconds left.

Combination of 3rd quarter and Not going into OT played into the only reason this game did not go over.

I've been handicapping everyday for the past 4-5 years now. My picks go 7-8 and 8-10 almost everyday, I do this. I know if teams styles should go over and under. Yesterday's game was a fix or a just terrible circumstances !

Joe pizz

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So in this thread I learned that a CB'er is bad at gambling but it's all Rondo's fault.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perhaps post injury but I would like to point out that at times in the past he was a one man fast break some games.   I think once recovered he would flourish in a running game.   He is recovering and really has no one to pass too.