Author Topic: Keys to Next Season  (Read 6041 times)

Re: Keys to Next Season
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
1. Development. Tatum, Brown, Langford, and the Williamses are all under 24. No one on the team is in danger of aging out in the next couple seasons. Marginal improvement from the young guys could be enough to win it all. Emphasis on could.

2. Veteran bench leadership. As others have said, don't blink at the tax. Pay it. This team made the ECF and has an open window. Don't assume it'll stay open forever. Crazy things happen every year. Make smart choices, but don't hedge thinking that there will be time later. Go for it now and pay what is needed to get a solid veteran presence (preferably with championship pedigree) to help lead the way and bolster the weak bench.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I think a big key for the Celts is leadership from a player. I think Kemba seems like an absolutely wonderful person. I think he lead early on but I think because of his kin and sharing attitude he kind of made way for Tatum. This may have even been a good thing long term for all I know but as good as Tatum was during the season he was taking some crazy shots . Some real tunnel vision and nobody was telling him to chill. Either that or he wasn’t listening. I tend to believe Tatum in this scenario.
   I think Brad is one of the best defensive coaches out there. The way he has hidden small guards ( or ones who don’t wa t to play defense at times like Kyrie) has been really outstanding. We consistently defend really well throughout the years. I’m so impressed.
   On the opposite side of the ball I personally hate it. It’s such a hardline commitment to analytics that it drives me crazy. It’s hard to watch.
   When Brad did t challenge on two separate key occasions I wondered why? Are you giving in, too?  This is for the chance to defend our franchise against the 2nd best to keep them from supplanting us with more finals appearances.
  Why would you not call a timeout through all of this. I felt Brad just kinda gave in to the loss way to early.
 This kind of thing in my opinion can’t happen again. Not in an elimination game.
  How we don’t go to the free throw line vs the zone to break it so many times I couldn’t understand. The team wasn’t prepared to beat a zone. That needs to be worked on. That really killed us.
 Not pushing the ball over half court instead of walking it up if we are deciding to go iso ball up top of the key with Tatum or Kemba trying to shake their man free offense. ( But maybe this was because guys were tired).
   As much as I think Baynes (if we could afford the full mid level ) is the perfect fit I’m kinda hoping for Tristan Thompson. For his weaknesses. He’s got finals experience and he’s a genuine tough customer for whatever that’s worth. There’s something about having a Thompson and Smart on the same team I like , even though they both can’t shoot well. Ha.

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Heard Kawhi wants a shot-making point guard. Hardwood Houdini’s Andrew Hughes suggested trading Kemba Walker, Daniel Theis, and two 1st-round picks for Paul George. Would you do that?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 02:37:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Heard Kawhi wants a shot-making point guard. Hardwood Houdini’s Andrew Hughes suggested trading Kemba Walker, Daniel Theis, and two 1st-round picks for Paul George. Would you do that?

Not interested in Paul George as third option, nor am I interested in him taking 2nd option status from Jaylen.

I'd rather have Kemba and that other stuff than one season of Paul George. 

Most I would offer is Hayward and a couple picks plus any of the rookie contract guys on the team the Clips might want for George. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 02:59:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Not interested in Paul George as third option, nor am I interested in him taking 2nd option status from Jaylen.

Most I would offer is Hayward and a couple picks plus any of the rookie contract guys on the team the Clips might want for George.

I like that deal better. The first one doesn't make any sense. Trade the starting point guard and center for another combo wing when we already have 3? Also, what even is Paul George right now?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I personally see Kemba as a deteriorating asset. I wouldn't give up Theis because we don't really have a replacement for him, but I'd give up the 2 later 1sts this year and Kemba for PG in a second.

It would create one of the most unique lineups in NBA history, and I think there is so much talent there that we would be fine without a point guard. I'd start all 4 wings and Theis.

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 04:10:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I personally see Kemba as a deteriorating asset. I wouldn't give up Theis because we don't really have a replacement for him, but I'd give up the 2 later 1sts this year and Kemba for PG in a second.

It would create one of the most unique lineups in NBA history, and I think there is so much talent there that we would be fine without a point guard. I'd start all 4 wings and Theis.

We recently finished watching the Celts cough and splutter their way to a 6 game loss in the ECF because they didn't have enough ball handling, playmaking, and size on the court to bust the Miami zone or punish the Heat for playing a non-shooting center.

I don't think replacing Kemba with a wing who has shown a penchant for disappearing in big moments and who is not himself a particular good playmaker is the right direction to go in.

Now ideally we would trade Kemba and Theis for the 2017 versions of Chris Paul and Marc Gasol.  That would really solve everything. But that's not really an option.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

We recently finished watching the Celts cough and splutter their way to a 6 game loss in the ECF because they didn't have enough ball handling, playmaking, and size on the court to bust the Miami zone or punish the Heat for playing a non-shooting center.

I don't think replacing Kemba with a wing who has shown a penchant for disappearing in big moments and who is not himself a particular good playmaker is the right direction to go in.

Now ideally we would trade Kemba and Theis for the 2017 versions of Chris Paul and Marc Gasol.  That would really solve everything. But that's not really an option.

I’d do Kemba / Theis and picks for George. Kemba is a great player and Theis is a good center too but we wouldn’t lose much facilitating with smart and Hayward being better in this particular aspect. Smart/ Jaylen/ PG/ Tatum / and then I’d worry about finding a center.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Kemba was one of those doing the coughing and spluttering.

Most of this problem will be solved by the maturation of Tatum and Brown. It was always going to be up to them anyway.

PG instead of Kemba means intense defense and the most switchable defensive squad in NBA history. The pressure would be off him. And he is a pretty big guy. That team would be brutal to score on.

Its a super-unlikely trade. But if it was actually on the table, I'd do it because this team has the makings of becoming a special group on defense and replacing Kemba with PG would be a bet on that identity.

My more realistic hope is that the C's trade up for Okongwu, but whatever they do, I hope it improves the teams defense. They will improve on offense by default.

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think crunch time offensive execution is more important than anything else for this team in terms of an area where improvement is necessary.

Behind that I would rank having adequate bench contributors to stave off the 3rd quarter / early 4th quarter runs that they gave up at really crucial times in the post-season.

The defense would improve in the most important ways if Rob Williams became more of a reliable option on that end so Stevens could play him more in matchups where Theis is physically outmatched.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Kemba was one of those doing the coughing and spluttering.

Most of this problem will be solved by the maturation of Tatum and Brown. It was always going to be up to them anyway.

PG instead of Kemba means intense defense and the most switchable defensive squad in NBA history. The pressure would be off him. And he is a pretty big guy. That team would be brutal to score on.

Its a super-unlikely trade. But if it was actually on the table, I'd do it because this team has the makings of becoming a special group on defense and replacing Kemba with PG would be a bet on that identity.

My more realistic hope is that the C's trade up for Okongwu, but whatever they do, I hope it improves the teams defense. They will improve on offense by default.

I think to win championships, you need wings and bigs and just average guards. Sign me up for that deal. Walker/Theis/two picks. Just imagine a lineup of Brown/George/Tatum/Hayward/Timelord (or some cheap center on the market). Nasty defense.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2020, 07:19:57 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I recently heard a pitch for a trade that sent out Hayward and brought back two good but lesser players, at least one of whom is under contract for multiple years. Something like Harrison Barnes and Bjelica. I think I like it.

There are on-court reasons. The Js need to take on more of the playmaking role next year. That means less time with the ball for Hayward. He’s overqualified to stand in the corner and shoot 3s, and we may be wasting his greatest value as a player. A guy like Barnes plays good D and is a dependable 3-point shooter - right for the role - and he’s got championship experience. Plus you address our bench issues by adding a good wing scorer. If our young stars grow it works.

And then there’s the money. We can bring in a bit less money than we send out, which could bring us under the tax and let us do a sign-and trade or have more flexibility to pick up another decent vet role player. It could also be good long term management. You can’t let GH walk after a year and get nothing for that $34m. Make the trade and you get a rotation player on a reasonable contract who you can keep for a few years or put into a trade for a major star in 2021.

Do I love it? I’m on the fence but I’m basically pro. If the Js grow and Bjelly provides reliable scoring punch, it feels like a net positive. Clearer roles, too.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:25:34 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2020, 07:49:32 PM »

Offline SteveD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 1
Harrison Barnes does not play great defense at all, but I'd still do this Hayward to Sacramento trade just to get Bjelica.