Author Topic: Kyrie now opt in?  (Read 13175 times)

Re: Kyrie now opt in?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would prefer one of two options.
Davis without Kyrie or sit tight until we can get rid of Hayward and have cap room to sign one of the few players in the NBA that can actually win us a championship.

Trading for Davis without Kyrie is an insane gamble.  If Davis walks, this franchise is setback years.

Hope you like rebuilds.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Davis without Kyrie or sit tight until we can get rid of Hayward and have cap room to sign one of the few players in the NBA that can actually win us a championship.

Trading for Davis without Kyrie is an insane gamble.  If Davis walks, this franchise is setback years.

Hope you like rebuilds.
They keep putting it out there they will do it.

I'm skeptical ownership says okay if Kyrie won't tell them he's in.

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We should know either way by draft night. If Danny gives up major package for AD, safe bet that Kyrie announces he is back in Boston come July 1.

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
We should know either way by draft night. If Danny gives up major package for AD, safe bet that Kyrie announces he is back in Boston come July 1.

Agree!

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hope you like rebuilds.

They took all these steps post PP/KG to slowly build back up.   To still mortgage much of the future via an AD trade without Kyrie just seems to be ridiculously counter-intuitive to what the team has been building at for the past 6 or so years.

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hope you like rebuilds.

They took all these steps post PP/KG to slowly build back up.   To still mortgage much of the future via an AD trade without Kyrie just seems to be ridiculously counter-intuitive to what the team has been building at for the past 6 or so years.

This is not the first year of rumors Ainge trading for AD.
Ainge has his sights on AD since 2016.

Over the years Ainge was accumulating assets for a golden opportunity.
AD is the golden opportunity Ainge has been waiting for.

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hope you like rebuilds.

I understand that part.   

The concern is '19-20 if Davis walks & Kyrie isn't around.

What are you left with?  You're certainly not contending and the cupboard isn't exactly stocked since you traded much of it away from AD. 

Even if you acquire AD & Kyrie isn't here, what type of ceiling is this team looking at? 

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Hope you like rebuilds.

I understand that part.   

What are you left with?  You're certainly not contending and the cupboard isn't exactly stocked since you traded much of it away from AD. 

Even if you acquire AD & Kyrie isn't here, what type of ceiling is this team looking at?
Depends on what you give up for Davis.

But probably not that great.

I’m assuming any davis deal includes Tatum and Smart. We’ll stab Tatum + Smart + Ojeleye + Yabusele + Memphis for arguments sake.

That team COULD still be really good if everything goes right. Brown could make a leap, Hayward could be back to normal and maybe you strike gold when searching the bargain bin to find new ballhandlers.

But it’s unlikely they’d be contenders
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hope you like rebuilds.

I understand that part.   

First, let's tackle AD in Boston and no Kyrie.

It's easier to find a good replacement for a guy like Kyrie than find a generational player like AD.

Celts will still be contenders without Kyrie as long as the Celts will still have Horford, Hayward, and Brown.

Second, I would rather risk one year of having Anthony Davis than not having Anthony Davis and the Celts end up a middle of the pack team for many years to come.

Let's face it, a team led by Tatum and Jaylen will never come close to beating teams like the Bucks, Raptors, with Kawhi, Sixers, and maybe even the Pacers with Oladipo healthy.

As much as I love Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown having the potential to be a star player, right now they're nowhere near Hall of Fame players.

So yes, even if it means losing everything on Anthony Davis, it's worth the gamble, IMO.

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Hope you like rebuilds.

I understand that part.   

I’m assuming any davis deal includes Tatum and Smart. We’ll stab Tatum + Smart + Ojeleye + Yabusele + Memphis for arguments sake.

That team COULD still be really good if everything goes right. Brown could make a leap, Hayward could be back to normal and maybe you strike gold when searching the bargain bin to find new ballhandlers.

Don't forget the Celts would still have Horford.

A team with AD, Horford, Hayward, and Brown will be a contender.

That's a lot of talent right there.

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hope you like rebuilds.

I understand that part.   

Don't forget the Celts would still have Horford.

A team with AD, Horford, Hayward, and Brown will be a contender.

That's a lot of talent right there.

Better than TOR or MIL?  Do they beat PHI?   

You'd also need to bank on Hayward going back to Utah Hayward.

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Based off every report we have the Celtics will pursue AD regardless of Kyrie, so I don't think a trade for AD really tells you much either way.

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Hope you like rebuilds.

The thing is, who is the next guy to maybe become available if they pass on Davis?

If not AD, the next big name who seems like he might possibly be available is at least 3-4 years away.

There isn't a guy who is currently All-NBA caliber and near the start of his prime who seems likely to be available in the next few years. 

Is Danny going to sit on all his assets and just be like, "Yeah okay let's keep doing this asset collection thing for another 3-5 years"?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Based off every report we have the Celtics will pursue AD regardless of Kyrie, so I don't think a trade for AD really tells you much either way.

Actually the reports have conflicted on this.

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
SAS reported that Kyrie flew to SF to convince Durant to team up in BKN. 

Kyrie should be smart enough to know he can’t do this by himself.

Maybe he reconsiders the Knicks if they are able to get Davis.

May also explain why Kyrie is being aloof with Boston. Why give them any indication that would encourage them to outbid the Knicks or Nets for KD.