Author Topic: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend is a hoax? (Merged)  (Read 32366 times)

Re: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend is a hoax? (Merged)
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Don't buy this online-only story for a second.

What are the chances that the middle linebacker, a heisman candidate, for one of the most successful college football teams in the country needs to resort to an online relationship for romance?

And on top of it, you've got multiple stories citing that they physically met, the father saying that she'd go to Hawaii on vacation. Someone's pumping them this info. He's in love with enough to have these 8 hour conversations, but so ashamed of the fact that it's online only that he goes to great length to provide the South Bend Tribune fictionalized stories about how they met? Doesn't add up one bit.

So to me, there's 2 options. 1 increasingly more likely than the other.

1. Someone came up w/ the idea, and thought the attention that it'd bring him would significantly improve his draft stock. And they absolutely 100% would've been right if it wasn't for the people at DeadSpin.

2. He's gay. Lot less likely, but to me it's the only other reason you'd make up this imaginary girlfriend story. Extremely religious background, extremely religious school.
But why tell the school about it before anything is public?  I mean if you made this crap up, why rat yourself out?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

What are the chances that the middle linebacker, a heisman candidate, for one of the most successful college football teams in the country needs to resort to an online relationship for romance?

And on top of it, you've got multiple stories citing that they physically met, the father saying that she'd go to Hawaii on vacation. Someone's pumping them this info. He's in love with enough to have these 8 hour conversations, but so ashamed of the fact that it's online only that he goes to great length to provide the South Bend Tribune fictionalized stories about how they met? Doesn't add up one bit.

1. Someone came up w/ the idea, and thought the attention that it'd bring him would significantly improve his draft stock. And they absolutely 100% would've been right if it wasn't for the people at DeadSpin.

2. He's gay. Lot less likely, but to me it's the only other reason you'd make up this imaginary girlfriend story. Extremely religious background, extremely religious school.
But why tell the school about it before anything is public?  I mean if you made this crap up, why rat yourself out?

Because they knew the heat was on.

If you read the article you'll remember them reaching out to the girl whose image was used as the "girlfriend."

And now here it was on a dead girl's Twitter profile. After googling Lennay Kekua's name, Reba began to piece things together. She called up the classmate. He expressed alarm, Reba told us later, and "immediately began acting weird." "Don't worry about it," he told her. Moments after the phone call, Reba's picture was removed from the @LoveMSMK Twitter profile.

If you're behind the hoax and this happens, you probably know that the jig is up or coming close. So before Deadspin can finish digging and publish their story you come up with this alternate story. I mean, the report was only filed 3 weeks ago?

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If you read the article you'll remember them reaching out to the girl whose image was used as the "girlfriend."

And now here it was on a dead girl's Twitter profile. After googling Lennay Kekua's name, Reba began to piece things together. She called up the classmate. He expressed alarm, Reba told us later, and "immediately began acting weird." "Don't worry about it," he told her. Moments after the phone call, Reba's picture was removed from the @LoveMSMK Twitter profile.

If you're behind the hoax and this happens, you probably know that the jig is up or coming close. So before Deadspin can finish digging and publish their story you come up with this alternate story. I mean, the report was only filed 3 weeks ago?

Now add this:

http://deadspin.com/5976734/cardinals-player-says-he-met-manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend?tag=manti-te.o

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
The part that makes no sense is that he was in love with a girl he never met and never took the time to see her when she was going through adversity? Even when she was in a car accident and had cancer and even died he never once went out there to see her/her family?? Online relationship or not, that makes NO sense...

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah but that photo wasn't taken until December 2012 and wasn't put up on the net until around that time.  I don't think Deadspin was even looking into this until after he blabbed to ND.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The author of Deadspin's article said on CBS radio that they received an e-mail a week ago stating something fishy was going on and they should look into it.

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
The author of Deadspin's article said on CBS radio that they received an e-mail a week ago stating something fishy was going on and they should look into it.

Interesting. Seems like a lot more than a week of research.

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Now add this:

http://deadspin.com/5976734/cardinals-player-says-he-met-manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend?tag=manti-te.o

Wow. That is truly bizarre.

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I easily could have misheard it, I just got back from work and was listening on my phone but that's what I heard.

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I easily could have misheard it, I just got back from work and was listening on my phone but that's what I heard.

The initial deadspin story says a woman notified them 'sometime in december'.

Te'o and Tuiasosopo definitely know each other. In May 2012, Te'o was retweeting Tuiasosopo, who had mentioned going to Hawaii. Wrote Te'o, "sole"—"bro," in Samoan—"u gotta come down." In June, Te'o wished Tuiasosopo a happy birthday. How they know each other isn't clear. We spoke to a woman we'll call Frieda, who had suggested on Twitter back in December that there was something fishy about Lennay Kekua. She was Facebook friends with Titus Tuiasosopo, so we asked her if she knew anything about Ronaiah.

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Te'o and Tuiasosopo definitely know each other. In May 2012, Te'o was retweeting Tuiasosopo, who had mentioned going to Hawaii. Wrote Te'o, "sole"—"bro," in Samoan—"u gotta come down." In June, Te'o wished Tuiasosopo a happy birthday. How they know each other isn't clear. We spoke to a woman we'll call Frieda, who had suggested on Twitter back in December that there was something fishy about Lennay Kekua. She was Facebook friends with Titus Tuiasosopo, so we asked her if she knew anything about Ronaiah.

Ya, that makes much more senes to me. I'm sure a lot of this info was pretty easy to find - or not find - but still, it seems like a lot for a week.

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Ya, that makes much more senes to me. I'm sure a lot of this info was pretty easy to find - or not find - but still, it seems like a lot for a week.

Well they basically debunked the existence of Kekua by doing a nexis search and looking at police blotter and obituaries in California.

You almost want to believe that Te'o was really the victim of some elaborate hoax, but this paragraph is far too [dang]ing for me lend any sympathy or buy his garbage statement:

There was no Lennay Kekua. Lennay Kekua did not meet Manti Te'o after the Stanford game in 2009. Lennay Kekua did not attend Stanford. Lennay Kekua never visited Manti Te'o in Hawaii. Lennay Kekua was not in a car accident. Lennay Kekua did not talk to Manti Te'o every night on the telephone. She was not diagnosed with cancer, did not spend time in the hospital, did not engage in a lengthy battle with leukemia. She never had a bone marrow transplant. She was not released from the hospital on Sept. 10, nor did Brian Te'o congratulate her for this over the telephone. She did not insist that Manti Te'o play in the Michigan State or Michigan games, and did not request he send white flowers to her funeral. Her favorite color was not white. Her brother, Koa, did not inform Manti Te'o that she was dead. Koa did not exist. Her funeral did not take place in Carson, Calif., and her casket was not closed at 9 a.m. exactly. She was not laid to rest.

Lennay Kekua's last words to Manti Te'o were not "I love you."

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This whole story is incredibly bizarre on many levels.

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That statement doesn't say they were notified in December, rather that in December she suggested on twitter that something was up. They don't clarify if it was just a tweet she put out there, or something that she sent to Deadspin via tweet or DM.

But yeah clearly sometime in December things were unraveling, which makes Teo's confession on the 26th make sense if they got wind of things coming apart.

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Personally, I find it very believable that a college football player, who comes from a conservative, Mormon family, was duped by an acquaintence playing an (elaborate) practical joke on him. 

I could see Te'o really believing that his girlfriend was real...but lying about the fact that he had met her.  It could have been to him an online romance, that was cut short of him getting to consumate it by meeting her, when she tragically died. 

And he made up the story of how they met and become friends, and how he sees her when they are both in Hawaii, and all that, to hide the embarrasing fact that he not only met her online, but had not actually met her in person.  Particularly with his Mormon upbringing, since they would have likely not been thrilled about him having an online romance.

There are a lot of gullible people out there, and when you are talking about 22 year old college football players (or however old he is), then the percentage of gullibility probably rises a decent amount.