Author Topic: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend is a hoax? (Merged)  (Read 32355 times)

Re: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend is a hoax? (Merged)
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
T'eo could have the intelligence and personality of a slug and I'm sure real, attractive, girls would be throwing themselves at him...It must of just been an embarrassing prank. I don't see what he'd gain by faking it.

just a prank?  i dunno dude.  Youre saying someone stayed up every single night talking to him on the phone pretending to be his sick girlfriend in the hospital??  who is that dedicated to a lie to keep it going for that long?

I agree that there are sick enough people in this world to follow through on that, but given the information provided the odds are in the favor of him being in on it.

Big giant red flag if youre an NFL team.  Linebackers with no book smarts, ok.  Linebackers with no street smarts and horrible instincts, not ok.  and thats only if he wasnt in on it.

It's really too strange and ridiculous to be true.

This is the most bizarre story I've heard in... well maybe ever.  I can't think of anything like it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is it at all possible he's hiding his lack of a girlfriend to cover up for his sexual orientation?  I mean, footballers (and athletes in general) are traditionally very buttoned up about this thing.  Plus, he and his family are Mormon...

Just a thought.

Very interesting thought, especially since it's another guy that was in charge of the fake identity, and that this other guy and Manti apparently knew each other fairly well.  They may have cooked it up together as a cover, then gotten carried away in the soap-style twitterverse.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Is it at all possible he's hiding his lack of a girlfriend to cover up for his sexual orientation?  I mean, footballers (and athletes in general) are traditionally very buttoned up about this thing.  Plus, he and his family are Mormon...

Just a thought.

Very interesting thought, especially since it's another guy that was in charge of the fake identity, and that this other guy and Manti apparently knew each other fairly well.  They may have cooked it up together as a cover, then gotten carried away in the soap-style twitterverse.

But then why go the cancer death route?

That brings so much more attention onto it.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

Just a thought.

That's what I thought when initially reading it. Mormon family, catholic uni, perhaps a front to adhere to a football image/mentality. It's a possibility I guess.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Just a thought.

That's basically what my initial post was referring too.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Just a thought.

Once he was getting really famous, maybe they were worried about being able to keep the hoax going? Too much attention, so they "killed" her off. Or, they are 20-22 and thought it would be funny to fool people like that.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
every once in a million years something makes me speechless and this is pretty much it.  Instead of a euphoric drug this is dystopic reality.  I feel like one of those robots on Star Trek whose head blew up when the guy said "Everything I say is a lie. I'm lying."

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:35 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Just a thought.

Once he was getting really famous, maybe they were worried about being able to keep the hoax going? Too much attention, so they "killed" her off. Or, they are 20-22 and thought it would be funny to fool people like that.

yeah but her death draws more attention than just saying, oh we broke up.  Unless youre fishing for attention, which i think is the motive.

I just cant believe that there are people out there that are too stupid to realize that people will figure this lie out.

The media digs through peoples trash, you dont think they'll check for details on your dead girlfriend?
Greg

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Just a thought.

yeah but her death draws more attention than just saying, oh we broke up.  Unless youre fishing for attention, which i think is the motive.

I just cant believe that there are people out there that are too stupid to realize that people will figure this lie out.

The media digs through peoples trash, you dont think they'll check for details on your dead girlfriend?

You took the words right out of my mouth here.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:44 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just saw a video on ESPN of the interview where Te'o talks about his "girlfriend."  Maybe I'm naive myself, but based on that, I believe the kid, believe he got taken advantage of, and feel bad for him. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He might have actually been catfished, but he is going to have to answer a bunch of questions for anyone to believe it.  Just some he needs to answer: Who have you been talking to since she allegedly died?  Where did you send the flowers you sent, how did you purchase them, and do you have the receipt? Why did you say you met her and looked into her soulful eyes if you never did? When you learned of the deception in December, why didn't you get ahead of the story and release a statement at that time? How long have you known Ronaiah Tuiasosopo and when and where did you meet?

etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
some "maybe it is too soon" humor

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Reading the Deadspin article, I don't believe for an instant this kid could possibly be stupid enough to have actually believed this.

Seems much more likely to me that he's just an incredibly huge narcissist.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Don't buy this online-only story for a second.

What are the chances that the middle linebacker, a heisman candidate, for one of the most successful college football teams in the country needs to resort to an online relationship for romance?

And on top of it, you've got multiple stories citing that they physically met, the father saying that she'd go to Hawaii on vacation. Someone's pumping them this info. He's in love with enough to have these 8 hour conversations, but so ashamed of the fact that it's online only that he goes to great length to provide the South Bend Tribune fictionalized stories about how they met? Doesn't add up one bit.

So to me, there's 2 options. 1 increasingly more likely than the other.

1. Someone came up w/ the idea, and thought the attention that it'd bring him would significantly improve his draft stock. And they absolutely 100% would've been right if it wasn't for the people at DeadSpin.

2. He's gay. Lot less likely, but to me it's the only other reason you'd make up this imaginary girlfriend story. Extremely religious background, extremely religious school.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
SO the girl never existed eh?

Wow that's going to be a draft stock plummet. I don't think teams would touch this kid simply because he's lying. (allegedly)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace