Author Topic: East exec talks about Rondo's trade value and Smart  (Read 10313 times)

Re: East exec talks about Rondo's trade value and Smart
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The main thing I disagree with in this article is that Rondo is not a Max contract player.

This article suggest that a Max contract guy should be your best player, and a guy who can carry your team, and that Rondo is not that.

Gordon Hayward?  Chandler Parsons? 

Rajon Rondo has absolutely proven he can carry a team, he did so in the playoffs on numerous occasions when the big 3 were still around.  When KG was out and Boston went through that grinding playoff series against Chicago, RR averaged a triple double to carry Boston through that series - he was absolutely dominant - there was no other word for it.  Just because he didn't dominate by averaging 30 PPG, doesn't mean he didn't dominate.  There is not one other PG in this league (yes I said it - not one) who could have held a candle to Rondo's performance in that series.

A Max contract also is about more than just box scores.  It's about having a guy who can lead your team with the intangibles.  Rondo's competitiveness, mental toughness, work ethic and basketball IQ are all up there among the absolute elite of this league.  There is no player in this league (outside of maybe Kobe Bryant) who is tougher that Rondo when it comes to willingness to play through pain, and I don't know if there is a single player in the league with a higher basketball IQ.

To put it in to perspective, Rondo is currently averaging 10.8 points, 11.3 assists and 8.2 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game - ridiculous stats that I haven't seen for decades.  He's also shooting a solid (for a PG) 45% from the field, 39% from three (the latter easily a career high).  His PER of 19.3 is the highest of his career.

Worth considering that his "points generated from assists" stat works out as 26.3 per game so far this season.  Add that to his 10.8 PPG and you're talking about a total of 37.1 points per game that he's been directly responsible for. 

Yes, he's a max player.

People always miss this point , he is generating just about the same amount of points per game as Lebron James(25 ppg, 6.7 apg), just doing it in a different way.

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The definition of a Max contract totally changed this past off-season. Guys that are good players but not nearly as good as Rondo got max contracts. So based off that he is a max guy. Basically it seems all-start players are max guys and Rondo is without question an all-star level guy. The new money coming into the league most likely dictated that this off-season but once you start that trend it is hard to reign it in.

So basically the exec is wrong and will never have a decent team if he thinks he's only giving max contracts to super stars. That is not how the system works now, it spreads the money out better than in the past and does not allow super stars to get massive contracts and everyone else eats PB&J.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I truly think the most gettable guy is melo. I think at some point he and Phil will mutually agree it's time to part ways. Melo wanted that fifth year $$$ and didn't want the accusations of quitting on NY. Phil would rather get assets for melo then let him walk but it has always seemed like carmelo is not a Phil Jackson guy.

The Knicks are a sinking ship and soon everyone will realize if they haven't already that there is no bandaid for the Knicks. There is no quick fix to make them a contender. Another year of no playoffs won't sit well with melo at this point in his career.

In the next 4-6 weeks Melos PR ppl and Jacksons PR ppl will start making the case how the other guy isn't doing what he's supposed to and is to blame for the Knicks lack of success.

Boston has the assets to get melo if nyc is willing. KO would be a nice fit in the triangle.
I always wondered why when we couldn't get Love we didn't go after Melo. Didn't we have the assets to do some kind of sign and trade before he agreed to terms with them?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
As huge of a fan of Rondo as I am, I have a hard time seeing him having the type of trade value Ainge will be looking for. A saturated PG market coupled with Rondo's expiring deal make it tough for very many teams to realistically be able to rationalize giving up what would probably be "fair value" otherwise.

As far as a Rondo/Smart backcourt pairing being a good combo going forward, I am not entirely sold. Smart will need to develop his perimeter shot for it to work, but I'm not sure there is enough time left in Rondo's prime for that to happen while it is still worthwhile.  I'd be more inclined to go with the Rondo/Bradley if trying to "win now" and attempt to trade Smart, and other assets, for a legit #1 scorer type superstar.

If that plan fails, a re-signed Rondo will be much easier to get a reasonable return for in a trade. Having that long term security will open up many more trade possibilities.

I still say rarely but I see your point. Tp.

Bosh and Lebron is not the norm. Rarely do you see max guys move teams and not take the max.

Boozer was never a move the needle guy. He was an overpay. Amare was too. Boozer and amare both stay home if they get the $ and both phoenix and Utah knew they were bad investments. It says a lot normally when a team lets a guy walk. Utah and phoenix knew what they were doing. Chicago and nyc felt they had to have something to show for all there efforts after missing out on Lebron. Basically they got desperate and made bad decisions. Boozer has since been amnestied and amare would've been if he could.

Houston can thank kobe for howard and the cap space didn't work for them this year.

Basically what you saw with the heat was rare. What you saw with howard was rare. So I still say it rarely works. What you saw with boozer and amare was bad GMing and that's normal bc GMs often feel they should spend the $ when they have it. Even if that means spending unwisely.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
The main thing I disagree with in this article is that Rondo is not a Max contract player.

This article suggest that a Max contract guy should be your best player, and a guy who can carry your team, and that Rondo is not that.

Gordon Hayward?  Chandler Parsons? 

Rajon Rondo has absolutely proven he can carry a team, he did so in the playoffs on numerous occasions when the big 3 were still around.  When KG was out and Boston went through that grinding playoff series against Chicago, RR averaged a triple double to carry Boston through that series - he was absolutely dominant - there was no other word for it.  Just because he didn't dominate by averaging 30 PPG, doesn't mean he didn't dominate.  There is not one other PG in this league (yes I said it - not one) who could have held a candle to Rondo's performance in that series.

A Max contract also is about more than just box scores.  It's about having a guy who can lead your team with the intangibles.  Rondo's competitiveness, mental toughness, work ethic and basketball IQ are all up there among the absolute elite of this league.  There is no player in this league (outside of maybe Kobe Bryant) who is tougher that Rondo when it comes to willingness to play through pain, and I don't know if there is a single player in the league with a higher basketball IQ.

To put it in to perspective, Rondo is currently averaging 10.8 points, 11.3 assists and 8.2 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game - ridiculous stats that I haven't seen for decades.  He's also shooting a solid (for a PG) 45% from the field, 39% from three (the latter easily a career high).  His PER of 19.3 is the highest of his career.

Worth considering that his "points generated from assists" stat works out as 26.3 per game so far this season.  Add that to his 10.8 PPG and you're talking about a total of 37.1 points per game that he's been directly responsible for. 

Yes, he's a max player.
This is a tangent, but Gordon Hayward is ballin this year.  18-6-5 on high usage and good efficiency.  He put on some muscle in the offseason and he's been even better than those numbers.  I think Hayward's contract will be seen as good market value.

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I truly think the most gettable guy is melo. I think at some point he and Phil will mutually agree it's time to part ways. Melo wanted that fifth year $$$ and didn't want the accusations of quitting on NY. Phil would rather get assets for melo then let him walk but it has always seemed like carmelo is not a Phil Jackson guy.

The Knicks are a sinking ship and soon everyone will realize if they haven't already that there is no bandaid for the Knicks. There is no quick fix to make them a contender. Another year of no playoffs won't sit well with melo at this point in his career.

In the next 4-6 weeks Melos PR ppl and Jacksons PR ppl will start making the case how the other guy isn't doing what he's supposed to and is to blame for the Knicks lack of success.

Boston has the assets to get melo if nyc is willing. KO would be a nice fit in the triangle.
I always wondered why when we couldn't get Love we didn't go after Melo. Didn't we have the assets to do some kind of sign and trade before he agreed to terms with them?

We weren't on Melos list and I doubt there was a list. I don't think he wanted to leave NY at all. The media backlash would've been bad. I think he and Jackson will work out a storyline that says " it's in everyone's best interest if we move melo " but I think there will be finger pointing before we get
there.

In the end melo will say something like " we tried to make it work but we didn't have the right pieces in addition to me to get where we needed to. " Jackson will say " no one ever said this will happen overnight and a return to glory will take time and as a result trading melo for assets that can speed things up is in everyones best interest. "

That way melo can't be accused of quitting and jackson can get a max return for a superstar I don't really think he envisioned as a part of the teams future.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Maybe Ainge just doesn't value a player with Melo's skill set.  If Ainge is heavily invested in advanced metrics, Carmelo Anthony is one of those players who is usually seen as overrated by the stathead crowd and derided as a "superstar" who is undeserving of that label.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I question the credentials of any team exec who thinks that two guards unable to shoot a lick can coexist in the same backcourt successfully.

I didn't realize a 20-year old work horse couldn't improve his shot.
Because it worked so great for Rondo, right?

Also, how is that related to some exec thinking that he can put Smart and Rondo on the court right now and it can work?

I see agree with your points on Rondo and Smart working Koz. Though apparently a few posters have got all defensive and taken the position of potential being "near realizing reality".
I liked the Smart pick and still do, even though he's turned in a little less ready than I expected. However, until he develops a semi-reliable three pointer (because I think that ship has sailed for Rondo), starting them together is, forgive the pun, a non-starter.

That's not the point of the unnamed exec, though, since he seems to think the lack of shooting is not a problem. It is.

Maybe it would be, I'd guess we'll find out later this season.

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
So the executive believes the following about Rondo:

• He can't shoot very well
  • Can't carry a team to the playoffs (much less a title)
  • Thinks Rondo is a relentless defender

All these points have been seriously debated here.  Some feel Rondo is a great shooter and can carry a team to a title.  Others argue Rondo is a bad (or at least lazy) defender who gambles too much.

I don't think very many people here refer to Rondo as a great shooter. He can probably carry a team to a title though, he's carried teams fairly far in the postseason before. I guess "Can't carry a team to the playoffs" is mainly semantics. We know he can be (in the opinion of many if not most) the best player on a playoff team, he's done that multiple times in the past. He obviously can't carry *any* team to the playoffs, and the argument that stars who are better scorers as opposed to facilitators make more of an impact with bad offensive teammates.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

All these points have been seriously debated here.  Some feel Rondo is a great shooter and can carry a team to a title.  Others argue Rondo is a bad (or at least lazy) defender who gambles too much.

I don't think very many people here refer to Rondo as a great shooter. He can probably carry a team to a title though, he's carried teams fairly far in the postseason before. I guess "Can't carry a team to the playoffs" is mainly semantics. We know he can be (in the opinion of many if not most) the best player on a playoff team, he's done that multiple times in the past. He obviously can't carry *any* team to the playoffs, and the argument that stars who are better scorers as opposed to facilitators make more of an impact with bad offensive teammates.
I was simply quoting the quote from the alleged exec who said that Rondo could not carry a team to the playoffs.  I actually believe that Rondo could be the best player on a low end playoff team, but certainly not a title contender.

And I think it is a leap to state that Rondo was the best player on any of the big 3 teams so it is not indisputably factual to say he already has been the best player on a playoff team.

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I was simply quoting the quote from the alleged exec who said that Rondo could not carry a team to the playoffs.  I actually believe that Rondo could be the best player on a low end playoff team, but certainly not a title contender.

And I think it is a leap to state that Rondo was the best player on any of the big 3 teams so it is not indisputably factual to say he already has been the best player on a playoff team.

Again, Rondo's been at least arguably the best player on a title contender in the past. I'd agree that it's not an indisputable fact (obviously I never said it was) but it certainly isn't a leap to say so.