Author Topic: Do nothing  (Read 5482 times)

Re: Do nothing
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
People can ignore facts all they want, but we are not an old team.  We are a young team with veteran leaders.  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and Bass are regular starters on our team.  We have 3 old rotation players out of nine or so who will play when we are healthy in the playoffs.  Those three players by the way happen to all be above average at their positions in the league. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People can ignore facts all they want, but we are not an old team.  We are a young team with veteran leaders.  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and Bass are regular starters on our team.  We have 3 old rotation players out of nine or so who will play when we are healthy in the playoffs.  Those three players by the way happen to all be above average at their positions in the league. 

http://www.thehardwoodnation.com/2013/02/average-age-of-nba-teams.html

We are actually 23rd in age.   That is a fact, not your opinion.

New York Knickerbockers: 32 years, 148 days (15 players)

Miami Heat: 30-347  (14 players)

Los Angeles Clippers: 30-037  (14 players)

Los Angeles Lakers: 29-166  (14 players)

Dallas Mavericks: 28-330 (15 players)

Chicago Bulls: 28-185  (14 players)

San Antonio Spurs: 28-185  (15 players)

Brooklyn Nets: 28-182 (14 players)

Boston Celtics: 27-331  (13 players)

Milwaukee Bucks: 27-308 (15 players)

Atlanta Hawks: 27-173 (15 players)

Utah Jazz: 27-109 (15 players)

Phoenix Suns: 27-021 (15 players)

Philadelphia 76ers: 26-282  (15 players)

Minnesota Timberwolves: 26-230 (15 players)

Washington Wizards: 26-181 (15 players)

Oklahoma City Thunder: 26-163 (15 players)

Toronto Raptors: 26-143 (15 players)

Golden State Warriors: 26-136 (13 players)

Indiana Pacers: 26-095 (15 players)

Sacramento Kings: 26-081 (14 players)

Memphis Grizzlies: 26-077 (13 players)

Detroit Pistons: 26-053 (14 players)

Charlotte Bobcats: 25-336 (14 players)

Orlando Magic: 25-263  (14 players)

Denver Nuggets: 25-086 (15 players)

Cleveland Cavaliers: 25-064 (15 players)

Portland Trail Blazers: 25-054 (15 players)

New Orleans Hornets: 24.208 (13 players)

Houston Rockets: 24-167 (15 players)

2/3 of the league is younger than us.   KG is past mid 30's and so is PP.   

Out of the young core you mention, I would trust only Green and Rondo to make the all star team if at all.  I do not see Bradley, Sully and Bass ever making it.

Your above average comment is a total riot.   Is Bradley an elite shooter?   Bass an elite rebounder?  Bradley is an elite defender but he is one dimensional.  He can't pass or shoot.  Bass can score and shoot but is a poor rebounder.  As healthy, Bradley's has been dicey.   I think a couple of these rotation guys are in reality bench guys.

Our stars aside from Rondo ( who is hurt and recovering) and Green ( who needs to be more consistent) are old.   KG is old and PP is old.   Their minutes are managed do you think they would do that with a young team?

I think you use the term fact too loosely.   That is your opinion really the fact of the matter is we are not young.   We are not as old as some make us old to be, I grant that but we are not young either. 

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
There seems to be some misunderstandings here

I only stated that our three old guys are above average for their positions.  Jason Terry is an above average bench player.  Paul Pierce is an above average small forward and Kevin Garnett is an all-star. 

This is nitpicking but we are 22nd on your list.  Furthermore we are much closer to the youngest team in the league than we are to the oldest.  Basically we are around the same age as the Suns, Hawks and Bucks etc.  Our average age is less than 28.  That is not old.  Unless you consider Chicago, Brooklyn, Miami etc to be old teams.

It is true that three of our best players are well in their 30s but that doesn't change the fact that when healthy we will probably be starting a 21 and 22 year old along with a 28 year old.  Basically 2/3 of our rotations average age is 25 and 1/3 is around 35.  If you want to call that "old" you are welcome to do so, but considering the prime years of a basketball player we are not an old team.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
My bad there, Yogi, for clarification and sorry about that.   I still think we are not a young team but we are not as old as some present.

That is not my list but a website's list.

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2013, 06:53:34 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
I wouldn't exactly do nothing, I would do a few small moves, hopefully bring in a reliable big that's cheap to give KG a rest if he's coming back. KG need rest and we need to keep him fresh at all cost. Despite his age, I still say KG is a top 10 big. Going after bigs are our biggest priority.

mozgov is the obvious attainable cheap center

Mozgov is not going to be cheap.  I don't think you understand that he is very likely going to get a raise next season.  His salary is like to be at least the MLE and not quite Omer Asik money.  Denver will offer him the qualifying offer of $3.9 million so that he is a restricted free agent and they are allowed to match any offer.  If it is a reasonable contract that will allow him to be traded, they will match.  To get Mozgov, you either have to negotiate a sign-and-trade or offer Mozgov so much money that Denver thinks it is a massive overpay and they will be stuck with the contract.

denver needs pf bass

The teams most in need of Bass are probably Eastern Conference playoff teams that expect to play against Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James.

will the knicks aging players take them to playoffs again next year?
will the heat still be the same? next year? all 3 player in max contract...
will we face heat and knicks in 2013-2014 in season game in more than 5 times?

then i'd rather have tony allen mbahamoute z-bo pietrus these type of guys can somehow guard them, same as bass but they have more value than bass
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:59:13 AM by krook »

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 07:08:56 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I wouldn't exactly do nothing, I would do a few small moves, hopefully bring in a reliable big that's cheap to give KG a rest if he's coming back. KG need rest and we need to keep him fresh at all cost. Despite his age, I still say KG is a top 10 big. Going after bigs are our biggest priority.

mozgov is the obvious attainable cheap center

Mozgov is not going to be cheap.  I don't think you understand that he is very likely going to get a raise next season.  His salary is like to be at least the MLE and not quite Omer Asik money.  Denver will offer him the qualifying offer of $3.9 million so that he is a restricted free agent and they are allowed to match any offer.  If it is a reasonable contract that will allow him to be traded, they will match.  To get Mozgov, you either have to negotiate a sign-and-trade or offer Mozgov so much money that Denver thinks it is a massive overpay and they will be stuck with the contract.

denver needs pf bass

The teams most in need of Bass are probably Eastern Conference playoff teams that expect to play against Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James.

will the knicks aging players take them to playoffs again next year?
will the heat still be the same? next year? all 3 player in max contract...
will we face heat and knicks in 2013-2014 in season game in more than 5 times?

then i'd rather have tony allen mbahamoute z-bo pietrus these type of guys can somehow guard them, same as bass but they have more value than bass

Perhaps a 3 team trade with an East team could work.

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Right now, I do not know if TA could guard LeBron with the refs and the way he is playing.

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2013, 08:53:31 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Wow, this thread is still going strong.  Here us what I will say about the teams options.  Really, the only thing DA controls is the status of Paul pierce.  DA cuts him or buys him out, then the team is moving on.  Wile is may mean KG wants to go, I still don't believe he simply retires.  Just don't believe it.

I know.a lot of folks wan to trade this person Nd that person, but there are no guarantee there.  And I am hesitant to trade guys on short contracts for good (not great) guys on long contracts.  So if we can get good deals in return, sure you do it.  I just don't know whether we can do it.

So ultimately, doing nothing (or very little) gets PP off the books after next year.  And it leaves guys like KG and Terry on one year contracts.  Perhaps we can start to open up some cap space and attract a very good player.