Author Topic: Do nothing  (Read 5487 times)

Do nothing
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I am thinking, that this would be the best option for now and the future.  Think about it.  PP is on his last year.  And he is clearly declining.  We could save some money by buying him out or cutting him but not by trade.  I have come around to the idea of at least giving him the opportunity to retire a Celtic.

They say KG's decision is tied to PP but I am not convinced that even if we trade or cut PP, that KG he will retire or allow a trade.  We then would be with no PP but still no room to sign anyone either.

Still not really sure we can get much of value for PP and KG.  Most good teams don't have young players worth the investment and the value of our two guys is certainly going down.  If teams were not willing to trade before, they would probably be less inclined to do so now. 

And forget about trading guys like Terry, Bass, and Lee.  Teams are not going to give up valuable cap space for these guys.  And we wouldn't get much in return in the form of players.

And as some have suggested, even without PP and KG, this team still could make the playoffs (or at least contend for the playoffs).  So on top of the fact that the draft is a crapshoot, we likely still will not have a very high pick.

So, I think the best thing to do is nothing.  Welcome everyone back, fill in the roster for anyone leaving with minimum guys.  Make the playoffs next year and allow PP's contract to expire.  Determine whether KG wants to retire then.  Don't try to take in major contracts via trade or the midlevel. 

Then go from there.

Re: Do nothing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I am thinking, that this would be the best option for now and the future.  Think about it.  PP is on his last year.  And he is clearly declining.  We could save some money by buying him out or cutting him but not by trade.  I have come around to the idea of at least giving him the opportunity to retire a Celtic.

They say KG's decision is tied to PP but I am not convinced that even if we trade or cut PP, that KG he will retire or allow a trade.  We then would be with no PP but still no room to sign anyone either.

Still not really sure we can get much of value for PP and KG.  Most good teams don't have young players worth the investment and the value of our two guys is certainly going down.  If teams were not willing to trade before, they would probably be less inclined to do so now. 

And forget about trading guys like Terry, Bass, and Lee.  Teams are not going to give up valuable cap space for these guys.  And we wouldn't get much in return in the form of players.

And as some have suggested, even without PP and KG, this team still could make the playoffs (or at least contend for the playoffs).  So on top of the fact that the draft is a crapshoot, we likely still will not have a very high pick.

So, I think the best thing to do is nothing.  Welcome everyone back, fill in the roster for anyone leaving with minimum guys.  Make the playoffs next year and allow PP's contract to expire.  Determine whether KG wants to retire then.  Don't try to take in major contracts via trade or the midlevel. 

Then go from there.

Go for Samuel Dambert/Timofey Mozgov.

I don't see why no one would want to pick up Bass/Lee or Terry if we can package something else. If not let them stay next year, try to find a cheap back up big. Hope Melo somehow gets better.

Draft Dieng, let Jeff Green be the number one scoring option, put KG/PP on limited 20 MINUTES. Bring back Shav/T-Will, find a team that would also want Crawford in a package. If our Center is starting caliber, put KG at PF, but limit his minutes at PF 5-10 so he can at least keep up his intensity for a few minutes.

PG Rondo/T-Will
SG Lee/Terry/Bradley
SF Jeff Green/PP
PF Sully/Bass
C KG/Melo/FA/16th Pick

Not one immediate contender, but interesting to see how far it goes.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Doing nothing doesn't appeal to me.

I think Ainge needs to either try and make a big move to get a second impact big man alongside KG (Josh Smith please) -- or -- Ainge needs to start dismantling the team.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

Kiorrik

Hah, first response to the "let's do nothing" thread is "here's a trade proposal" :]

Love it :p

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Hah, first response to the "let's do nothing" thread is "here's a trade proposal" :]

I don't like the thought of us doing nothing ;).

If we're going to retain the same line up, at least try to draft a decent Center, then go for a back up/starting Center.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »

Kiorrik

I don't like the thought of us doing nothing ;).

If we're going to retain the same line up, at least try to draft a decent Center, then go for a back up/starting Center.
Which is fair enough :) I wasn't criticizing, merely pointing out something I thought looked funny when I read it.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
So I've been looking at the contracts, and other information, and I'm curious.

Can we restructure KG/Pierce's contracts so they could take a cheaper contract? If Paul wants to continue playing here, I don't see why not. If Garnett is only still playing cause of Pierce, and is convinced by Paul that once we either draft Dieng/ or a nice back up Center. Try to grab Josh Smith, or Jefferson, (if we get Jefferson, make KG a combo PF/C) to give KG some needed big man help?

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we should do the same thing on an asteroid or global warning, do nothing.   Surefire recipe for a disaster, a bad plan is better than none.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
a bad plan is better than none.

This must be the official motto of the US congress.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think we should do the same thing on an asteroid or global warning, do nothing.   Surefire recipe for a disaster, a bad plan is better than none.
You may be right that doing nothing is not the way to go.  But I disagree that doing nothing means that there is no plan.  Doing nothing IS the plan.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Danny painted himself into a corner for a couple of years when he signed the bulk of this roster to 3-year deals.  It was a gamble that, based on paper, this was a pretty good team that he assembled.  On paper, I would have agreed with that assessment last year.

Now, the proof is in the pudding in that this roster doesn't mesh well.  Too many SGs and not enough depth in the frontcourt.  Unfortunately, the gamble to lock up what looked like a good roster has backfired because it's not good.  We're pretty much stuck with the main players for another year barring PP and KG retiring (which I can't foresee happening). 

Danny can shuffle the minor players, Wilcox and the China trio, and add a rookie draft pick but I just don't see much else happening.  The deadweight on the roster won't be movable until after next year when they become expiring deals and even then, there's no guarantee Danny can move them for better than pennies on the dollar (if at all).

I think the plan is 'do nothing' because there really isn't much else that can be done.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
the funny thing is that Danny really could "do nothing" except maybe follow through on the draft

he could even try to bring Barbosa and Jason Collins back

hey, is Darko still available?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 08:35:33 AM »

Kiorrik

the funny thing is that Danny really could "do nothing" except maybe follow through on the draft

Who's this "Darko" you speak of?

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He needs to stay near his sick goldfish.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Not quite sure why everyone thinks are roster is full of a bunch of scrubs. Lee, Bass, Crawford, and Bradley all have value. Are they bringing us back a star? Of course not but that doesn't mean they can't be traded.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.