Author Topic: Celtics (1-2) vs Knicks (1-2) Summer League Game #4 7/14/23  (Read 3985 times)

Re: Celtics (1-2) vs Knicks (1-2) Summer League Game #4 7/14/23
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2023, 08:50:49 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Stopped watching, couldn't take anymore.

Same.

Give Scrubb a 2-way.  Walsh and Davison should get plenty of time in Maine.  Ghost everybody else on the squad.
Turned it off at halftime but peeked back in for the the last 5 minutes. Worst SL team I can remember in a long time…oh well, at least we know now that none of these guys will be in the rotation. Was hoping for more from Banton who has NBA experience.
You may be right but there is nothing that Jordan Walsh did today that proves he’s not ready to get rotation minutes.

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2023, 08:52:13 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TPs to all who posted in this game thread.

True Celtics fans/addict, all. 👍🏀🏀🏀☘️☘️☘️

I have never been more disinterested in a Cs SL game, EVER, nor ever seen these pseudo-Celtics look so disinterested.

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2023, 08:53:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
We have mostly players that have never played in the NBA, but a few have.  Azubuike has been 3 seasons in the league.  He is fighting to keep his career going.  Champagnie, Banton, and Davison have had cups of coffee.

But I think the expectation has to be that these are candidates for 2-way contracts for the most part.  Even Walsh, who is guaranteed to be on the team, at least to start, is probably more G-leaguer than NBA'er a this point.  Banton too, he is just a prospect.

I did not see any of tonight's game but based on box score, Banton seemed to have a much better game.  Even though Banton, Champagnie, and Walsh will be on regular contracts (unless Champagnie is waived), they are really no better than 2-way players.  Can't expect much form them.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2023, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Same.

Give Scrubb a 2-way.  Walsh and Davison should get plenty of time in Maine.  Ghost everybody else on the squad.
Turned it off at halftime but peeked back in for the the last 5 minutes. Worst SL team I can remember in a long time…oh well, at least we know now that none of these guys will be in the rotation. Was hoping for more from Banton who has NBA experience.
You may be right but there is nothing that Jordan Walsh did today that proves he’s not ready to get rotation minutes.
Easy to say that vs. sub-par talent where his mistakes are more obscured or non-consequential. I see a guy who needs better footwork on defense, better form on his jumper and more body control on drives. Maine will be good for him.

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2023, 09:46:28 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Same.

Easy to say that vs. sub-par talent where his mistakes are more obscured or non-consequential. I see a guy who needs better footwork on defense, better form on his jumper and more body control on drives. Maine will be good for him.
If he gets rotation minutes he’ll be 3 and D, so his inability to finish drives wouldn’t rule him out. Although I’m not seeing that. From what I’ve seen the form on his jump shot looks fine. And even if his “footwork” stands to improve, he’s still a better defender than Hauser and probably Brissette. What would keep him from playing is having a lack of understanding of defensive concepts. And there’s no way you can know that yet.  I think it’s easy for you to say that he won’t get rotation minutes because he’s a second round pick. And, again, you may be right. But from what I’ve seen the jury is still out. He’s got a ton of promise.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2023, 09:49:17 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I like Balcerowski...

As a potential NBA player?

Yes. I'd give him Kornet's spot this year.

If Kornet was playing summer league right now he'd look like an all-time great.

I like Kornet but he is in his prime and didn't look like an all time great in G League. This is a 22 year old kid that hasn't played any NBA games.

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2023, 08:20:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Same.

If he gets rotation minutes he’ll be 3 and D, so his inability to finish drives wouldn’t rule him out. Although I’m not seeing that. From what I’ve seen the form on his jump shot looks fine. And even if his “footwork” stands to improve, he’s still a better defender than Hauser and probably Brissette. What would keep him from playing is having a lack of understanding of defensive concepts. And there’s no way you can know that yet.  I think it’s easy for you to say that he won’t get rotation minutes because he’s a second round pick. And, again, you may be right. But from what I’ve seen the jury is still out. He’s got a ton of promise.
I think we pretty much agree, but I've just been burned so many times by predicting anything from good SL performances.

Right now, I see Walsh as mainly operating on BB instincts (which are good), athleticism (which is good) and excellent size/strength. He is a very promising prospect which is why he already has a 4-year deal. However, he has a lot to learn and he needs other basic skills improvements which the C's system will provide. Will he be ahead in the depth chart of Hauser and Brissette and possibly another vet SF/PF that Brad may add? I am not so sure, at least to start the season.