Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs Heat (0-0) LV Summer League Game #1 7/8/23  (Read 7718 times)

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  vs 
Boston Celtics (0-0)  vs  Miami Heat (0-0)
Summer League Game #1
Saturday, July 8, 2023
3:00 PM ET
TV:  NBA-TV, NBCSB
Radio:  WQAM
Cox Pavillion

Celtics Roster
J.D. Davison #20
Kamar Baldwin #26
Jordan Walsh #27
Jay Scrubb  #29
Mychal Mulder #37
Justin Bean #38
Vincent Valerio-Bodin  #41
Sam Griesel  #45
Olek Balcerowski  #50
Udoka Azubuike  #51
Reggie Kisoonlal  #55
Justin Champagnie #99

Possible Starters
PG:  J.D.Davison
SG:  Mychal Mulder
SF:  Jordan Walsh
PF:  Udoka Azubuike
C:   Olek Balcerowksi

Head Coach
Tony Dobbins

Players to Watch

JD Davison
Davison was the Celtics 53rd pick in the 2022 draft.   He was a 2-Way player for the Celtics last season.  He played 26 games with the Maine Celtics and averaged 12.5 points and just under 9 assists per game.  He played spot minutes in 12 games for the Celtics.  According to SL coach Tony Dobbins, Davison is embracing his role as a point guard and actively directing his teammates on the court.

Jordan Walsh
Walsh was the Celtics 38th pick in the 2023 draft.  He is 6'7" with a 7'3" wingspan.  He averaged 7.1 ppg for Arkansas last season on 43% shooting.  He can defend 1-5 and with and is unselfish and a hard worker.  He just signed a 4 year $7.6 million  contract with the Celtics.  If he can impress in Summer League he may find a spot in the Celtics rotation in the season. 

Mychal Mulder
Mulder is the oldest player on the Celtics summer league team at 29 years old.  He played for the Golden State Warriors in the 2019-20 season but was waived after that season.  He has had short stints with Orlando and Miami and played last season with the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the G-League.  He averaged 17.3 points while shooting 40.4% from beyond the arc. 

Heat Roster
Nikola Jovic #5
Jamal Cain #8
Dru Smith #9
Jaime Jaquez, Jr   #11
Orlando Robinson  #25
Jamaree Bouyea  #71
Justin Powell  #72
Caleb Daniels  #74
Trenton Messner  #75
Alondes Williams  #76
Drew Peterson  #81
Taylor Funk #83
Ja'von Franklin #84
Brandon McCoy  #94
Patrick Gardner  #95

Possible Starters
PG:  Jaime Jaquez, Jr
SG:  Dru Smith
SF:  Nikola Jovic
PF:  Drew Peterson
C:  Orlando Robinson

Head Coach
Caron Butler

Players to Watch

Nikola Jovic
Jovic was the Heat's 27th pick in the 2022 draft.  He is a skilled oversized wing that can do a little bit of everything on the basketball court.  This is his 2nd Summer League with the Heat.  He averaged 21.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2 assists in two games in the California Summer League held just before this one. 

Jaime Jaquez, Jr
Jaquez was the 18th pick in the 2023 draft after spending 4 years at UCLA.  He had 22 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist in the first game in the California Classic Summer League but just 4 points, 1 rebound and 2 assists in the second game. 

Chase Audige
Audige was undrafted out of Northwestern.  He is a disruptive perimeter defender who can score from beyond the arc.  In his first game of the California Classic he finished with 18 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist while shooting 4 of 7 on 3 pointers off the bench. 

Game Notes
The Summer Celtics take on the Summer Heat.  These franchises last met in the Eastern Conference Finals where the 8th seeded Heat beat the 2nd seeded Celtics in 7 games to move on to the NBA Finals.   While the rivalry lessens with the Summer League version of these teams,  it is a rivalry no less and these two franchises do not like each other.

This is the first game for both of these teams in the Las Vegas Summer League.  However,  the Heat played in the California Classic, finishing with a 1-1 record.   They averaged 95 points and 33.5 rebounds in those games.  They shot 47.5% from the field and 42.2% from beyond the arc.  The experience in California could give the Heat an advantage when it comes to chemistry and being already warmed up. 

The Celtics are coached by assistant coach Tony Dobbins, who has been an assistant with the Celtics since 2020, under Brad Stevens, Ime Udoka and Joe Mazzulla.  He served as a video coordinator for the Celtics during the 2019-20 season.  The Heat are coached by Caron Butler, who has been an assistant coach for the Heat since 2020.  He was the 10th pick in the 2002 draft by the Miami Heat and played 14 seasons in the NBA for 9 different teams. 

As with every Summer League, it's difficult to predict a starting lineup as coaches are looking to try different lineups and combination of players and they want to get an idea of what each player brings to the table.  The Heat used the same starters for both games in California and may or may not start the same players in this game.   For the most part, evaluating players to see which ones might fit with the roster is more important to these coaches than winning the games. 

Keys to the Game
Shooting - The Celtics will be looking for players who can shoot from the outside and also who can finish at the basket.  They will also be looking for players who can shore up the wings and point guard spots.   

Defense - The Celtics have put a premium on playing defense in the pastand they will be looking to see which Summer Celtics fit that mold.  JD Davison has already said that he plans to show he can be a dog on the defensive end and Jordan Walsh is also a very good defender.

Chemistry - The Heat have already played in 3 games in California and will have an advantage with their chemistry. The Heat won their first game in California but then lost the second but I imagine that they built some chemistry along the way.  Will the Celtics be able to develop chemistry quickly and play together on both ends of the court?   

X-Factors
It's Summer League - While teams want to win, every one of these teams is pretty much cobbled together from undrafted players, end of bench players, and G-League players.  They have had limited practice time for the  most part and so it's hard to tell how each team will play and which teams will dominate.  One thing for sure is that every player is trying to get noticed and earn a place on a roster and so we may see some players surprise us. 

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs Heat (0-0) LV Summer League Game #1 7/8/23
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 11:14:30 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
First!  Thanks FLC!  I’ve missed the game threads!

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
First!  Thanks FLC!  I’ve missed the game threads!

thanks from me as well, and a tp.

great to have the game threads back.

gooooooooooooooooooo baby and wannabe celtics!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Celtics2021  and  hwangjini_1 for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the Summer Heat!!!!!! 

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 11:32:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Has there been a game thread for SL in the past? This is awesome! Thanks FLCeltsFan!! You are the best!!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:43:24 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 11:32:34 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
Thanks FLCeltsFan, I've missed the game threads.  Go summer Celtics!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 11:38:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I believe Banton has joined the summer league team.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 11:42:19 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
So excited for this! Curious as to how Walsh and Vincent Valerio Bodon perform. Also that big polish guy. Summer League Celtics are back. 

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 12:14:31 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Starting back where we left off...against the pesky Miami Heat. Time for some payback.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 08:46:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hate summer league, worst quality of basketball ever.   Just a bunch of guys chucking shots, trying to get noticed.   I am looking for to seeing Walsh.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 12:22:37 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 11:57:10 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm definitely excited about Walsh watch. Hopefully, we have a diamond in the rough. The 4 year contract leads me to believe they have seen something they like already.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 02:14:03 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm definitely excited about Walsh watch. Hopefully, we have a diamond in the rough. The 4 year contract leads me to believe they have seen something they like already.
I think he was the top rated defender in the draft.

No question, JD Davison has the most on the line.

I hate summer league, worst quality of basketball ever.
@Celtics4ever, I understand your POV, but at least there’s some meaning here, unlike this stupid in-season tournament idea.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 03:05:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Here we go!

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 03:05:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934