Author Topic: Report: Lakers considered trading Lebron because of Rich Paul leaking  (Read 3845 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The subject of moving James, however, was contemplated by the Lakers, a team source said, weeks before [ESPN analyst Jeff] Van Gundy aired it. When rumors engulfed the team at the February trade deadline that it was willing to trade anyone other than James to acquire All-Star forward Anthony Davis from the New Orleans Pelicans, James’ agent, Rich Paul, was widely accused of spreading those rumors because Davis is also one of his clients. Paul denied to B/R that he leaked the Lakers’ interest in Davis, but [Lakers owner Jeanie] Buss suspected otherwise and was furious. The idea of terminating the franchise’s relationship with Paul by moving James at least crossed Buss’ mind, the team source said, and Paul was made aware of that. That prompted Paul to reach out to Buss to clear the air, and whatever ill will existed supposedly dissipated. At the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference a few weeks later, Buss blamed the media for making the rumors public.

https://lakersoutsiders.com/2019/03/14/jeanie-buss-trade-lebron-james-anthony-davis/

Re: Report: Lakers considered trading Lebron because of Rich Paul leaking
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
"Crossed her mind" until she realized that Lebron is currently the biggest meal ticket that organization has. 

For better or for worse, the Lakers & Lebron seem stuck with each for the foreseeable future.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
"Crossed her mind" until she realized that Lebron is currently the biggest meal ticket that organization has. 

For better or for worse, the Lakers & Lebron seem stuck with each for the foreseeable future.

Plus, that contract was like buying a new car.... after the first 3 years, it will depreciate by half. The longer they wait, the less likely a competitor would even want him at that price tag. Anyone that would trade for him would be looking to get a spike in sales.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 02:26:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I really thought the "trade LeBron" takes were gonna take an unsuccessful offseason and more regular season struggles to get rolling. Congrats on bending the curve, Klutch! As much as I hate the Lakers they're one of the few franchises that would fight back against such a blatant muscling in on their front office's territory.

The other thing I'm looking forward to - if LeBron passes Kobe in scoring at home next year, how many Lakers fans will boo? If they're not one the top teams in the West I go with about 25%. If they're below .500, over 50.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'll be honest, as much as I hate the Lakers, I actually would prefer they get the 8 seed and just get destroyed in the first round. At least then they'd be guaranteed out of the lottery.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Klutch sports is flim flam artist ,  who talked his way into the pockets of pea brain athletes.  Seperating them from their money is his special gift. ....and selling Tee Shirts

The ultimate MR Haney of sports . 

Bron teamed up with this conartist.

She should run off Magic too for being gullible enough to let those foxes in the hen house anyway.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
"at least crossed her mind" is no where near the same thing as considered or contemplated, which both have a much stronger connotation.

I really can't stand poor reporting like that (not directed at the OP as I know he is just quoting the stories).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Lakers make a ton of money with or without Lebron.  He really isn't worth that much to them unless he can attract other talent and make them a championship contender. 

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

The Lakers make a ton of money with or without Lebron.  He really isn't worth that much to them unless he can attract other talent and make them a championship contender.

Let's put it this way; it doesn't hurt them by having him & keeping him around.  He's the most recognizable active basketball player on the planet.

I just can't see the Lakers moving on from Lebron right now or in the upcoming offseason.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Going to the Lakers was a terrible move by LeBron it made both parties smaller.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Interesting to think of who would have traded for Lebron and what the package would have been. You have to have assets to move for Lebron while still retaining assets to keep him happy.

Cetlics would have been a team capable of doing both but I imagine that would have been a resounding NO from the Lakers. Maybe send him to Portland for a package built around McCollum ad Collins? Back to Miami for package built around Richardson and Adebayo? 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I could believe that Buss got mad at Rich Paul, although it sure did seem like he was assisting them.  And, I thought it was mostly accepted that the leaked offers were coming from New Orleans' side?

I don't think for a minute that the Lakers considered trading Lebron.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 09:53:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lakers front office is finally realizing what the world already knows. Lebron seemingly has the most power and control of that franchise as of now. Not Magic. Not Pelinka. Not Jeanie. Not even Kobe at the moment. Lebron along with Rich Paul and his media folks are calling the shots and I think we're starting to see more tension in that Lakers front office and realization that their own jobs could soon be in jeopardy (Magic's already could be and Walton is pretty much done in LA after the next 4 weeks).

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

While I'm hoping that Ingram gets well I'm not surprised at all with the turmoil there.

Lakers are DUE for some.

After seeing bad thing after bad thing happen to BOS (Bias, Lewis, Lean Years, KG hurting knee in Utah in 08) I'm thankful that brighter days are ahead for BOS.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 12:50:08 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
At what point is Jeannie Buss to blame for the Lakers absolute front office incompetence that we have seen for these past 7-8 years? That Kobe contract, the debacle of last offseason letting Randle and Lopez walk while signing KCP and a cast of noneshooters, drafting Ball #2, balking on trading assetts for Paul George, waiving Deng instead of using his expiring deal as a cap filling asset, trading Dangelo Russell for a nickel and a few pennies on the dime. I know I’m forgetting stuff. Point is, that franchise arragoant and incompetent, not a winning formula and it starts at the top.
The only color that matters is GREEN