Author Topic: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team  (Read 12711 times)

Re: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »

Offline ObjectivityOverBias

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Maybe Jaylen Brown should stop asking stupid questions? Let's be honest here, if this was Kyrie or Rozier saying this stuff, we'd have no mercy on them, but since it's our esteemed "intellectual", people are bending over backwards to make it into something positive lol.

Yeah, it shows me that he was one of your problems. We had a guy like that in Dion Waiters; this guy could do no wrong with the Cavs 'Faithful." People went as far as saying trade Kyrie, and Keep Waiters lol.

As for Jaylen's arrogant question, Kyrie would go off, because he is the most versatile player, but his team would get smashed. They might just do what MIL did.

MIL knew it was just 6'3 Kyrie and a bunch of scrubs, so cut off the head of the snake and dared everyone else to beat them. I think MIL's dismantling of BOS showed how they lacked a second play-maker. Some of Kyrie' shooting stats are crazy, especially catch and shoot.....
https://hoopshabit.com/2019/08/16/brooklyn-nets-kyrie-irving-underappreciated-shooting/

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2019, 12:20:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would love for today's athletes to go back and play 48 minutes of fast break, playoff basketball in the old Garden in June with no air conditioning and temperatures in the building in the 90's and then let's see who is slow to close out on shooters and unable to get back on transition defense. My guess is the athletes of today would have been gassed and run off the court.

My guess is they would do fine.

I'm honestly a little surprised everybody on this board is reading so much into this. Jaylen is a young guy, young guys should have all the confidence in the world. They should believe they can beat anybody. And while its easy to look back and think this s a stupid question there were many on this board a year ago and around the NBA in general who legitimately thought the Celtics would be a juggernaut. Bill Simmons famously predicted 67 wins (same as the 86 team). Predictions of 60 wins were flying around the Celtics like confetti at the super bowl, so clearly a lot of fans thought they were gonna be really good.

I also think people older Celtics fans glorify the old Celtics teams to an insane degree, as a Celtics fan under thirty every time I see some old timer talk about how good the 86' Celtics team was or how they played the right way or how no one could guard them down low or how tough they were or fast they were, blah blah blah I role my eyes so hard I feel my skull crack. To remember the 86 Celtics you'd have to be around 40 years old, an since NBA fandom skews younger a MAJORITY of NBA fans have any real memory off the 86' Celtics. Its hard to have any sort of conversation about how good they are vs today.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:29:23 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Maybe Jaylen Brown should stop asking stupid questions? Let's be honest here, if this was Kyrie or Rozier saying this stuff, we'd have no mercy on them, but since it's our esteemed "intellectual", people are bending over backwards to make it into something positive lol.

Yeah, it shows me that he was one of your problems. We had a guy like that in Dion Waiters; this guy could do no wrong with the Cavs 'Faithful." People went as far as saying trade Kyrie, and Keep Waiters lol.

As for Jaylen's arrogant question, Kyrie would go off, because he is the most versatile player, but his team would get smashed. They might just do what MIL did.

MIL knew it was just 6'3 Kyrie and a bunch of scrubs, so cut off the head of the snake and dared everyone else to beat them. I think MIL's dismantling of BOS showed how they lacked a second play-maker. Some of Kyrie' shooting stats are crazy, especially catch and shoot.....
https://hoopshabit.com/2019/08/16/brooklyn-nets-kyrie-irving-underappreciated-shooting/
Yeah Jaylen is nothing like Waiters lol. And Kyrie didn't do himself any favours by taking 20-30 shots every game in the series while building a house with all those bricks. We'll see how we "lack" a second playmaker once the upcoming season starts, my guess is that people will be raving about how "many" options we have with Kemba, Brown, Tatum and Hayward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2019, 01:31:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would love for today's athletes to go back and play 48 minutes of fast break, playoff basketball in the old Garden in June with no air conditioning and temperatures in the building in the 90's and then let's see who is slow to close out on shooters and unable to get back on transition defense. My guess is the athletes of today would have been gassed and run off the court.

My guess is they would do fine.

I'm honestly a little surprised everybody on this board is reading so much into this. Jaylen is a young guy, young guys should have all the confidence in the world. They should believe they can beat anybody. And while its easy to look back and think this s a stupid question there were many on this board a year ago and around the NBA in general who legitimately thought the Celtics would be a juggernaut. Bill Simmons famously predicted 67 wins (same as the 86 team). Predictions of 60 wins were flying around the Celtics like confetti at the super bowl, so clearly a lot of fans thought they were gonna be really good.

I also think people older Celtics fans glorify the old Celtics teams to an insane degree, as a Celtics fan under thirty every time I see some old timer talk about how good the 86' Celtics team was or how they played the right way or how no one could guard them down low or how tough they were or fast they were, blah blah blah I role my eyes so hard I feel my skull crack. To remember the 86 Celtics you'd have to be around 40 years old, an since NBA fandom skews younger a MAJORITY of NBA fans have any real memory off the 86' Celtics. Its hard to have any sort of conversation about how good they are vs today.
I actually am not upset by Jaylen's question to Danny, not even a little bit. I have a son a couple years older than Jaylen and a couple years ago he tried to argue with me that Bobby Orr couldn't have been nearly as popular in Boston as today's players.

He was just young and didn't live through those times so had no perspective. It's the same with almost all youth. I am not going to be angry or think lesser of Brown, or my son, or any youth, simply because they are young, still not completely mature and  uneducated on the subject they want to discuss. It actually makes me smile and think how great it is to be so young.

My son listened and learned from our discussion and then did some reading up on Orr and the Bruins popularity in the early 70's. He learned something new. My guess is after Brown's conversation with Danny, he learned a few things and after the dismal season is smarter, better and more informed because of it.

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »

Offline ObjectivityOverBias

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4

Yeah Jaylen is nothing like Waiters lol. And Kyrie didn't do himself any favours by taking 20-30 shots every game in the series while building a house with all those bricks. We'll see how we "lack" a second playmaker once the upcoming season starts, my guess is that people will be raving about how "many" options we have with Kemba, Brown, Tatum and Hayward.

He is a lot like Waiters.

2 guys whom think they are better than what they truly are, cause team drama because they envy Kyrie, and can do no wrong.

Lucky for us, we got Dion up out of there courtesy of LBJ, whom seen he was a problem. A leopard does not change it's stripes...

Not the 1st time this kid said something arrogant and cray
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/11/07/jaylen-brown-was-asked-how-many-championships-hell-have-won-by-28-heres-what-he-said
Red flags all around this kid. Gonna be interesting to watch as an outsider when he slowly but surely starts to show his true colors......As he has been already.

This kid did not like Kyrie from day one, and made it known, that it was gonna be issues between him and Kyrie. He did not like the Kyrie trade, and made that clear. He also questioned the culture before Kyrie even stepped on the court.

Celtic Paul P. said Ky's criticism of his team was justified, and I agree. What wasn't justified was Kyrie's media tantrums. Why? because now you give the media ammo.

Jaylen is a problem, mark my words, & you all will see it this year. What has anyone done, other than Kyrie to be mentioned in the same breathe as a Legendary Celtic team?

To defend him is a disrespect to the Celtic franchise imo. It shows that there are more fans of players, than your actual team, and history.

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2019, 06:29:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

He is a lot like Waiters.

2 guys whom think they are better than what they truly are, cause team drama because they envy Kyrie, and can do no wrong.

Lucky for us, we got Dion up out of there courtesy of LBJ, whom seen he was a problem. A leopard does not change it's stripes...

Not the 1st time this kid said something arrogant and cray
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/11/07/jaylen-brown-was-asked-how-many-championships-hell-have-won-by-28-heres-what-he-said
Red flags all around this kid. Gonna be interesting to watch as an outsider when he slowly but surely starts to show his true colors......As he has been already.

This kid did not like Kyrie from day one, and made it known, that it was gonna be issues between him and Kyrie. He did not like the Kyrie trade, and made that clear. He also questioned the culture before Kyrie even stepped on the court.

Celtic Paul P. said Ky's criticism of his team was justified, and I agree. What wasn't justified was Kyrie's media tantrums. Why? because now you give the media ammo.

Jaylen is a problem, mark my words, & you all will see it this year. What has anyone done, other than Kyrie to be mentioned in the same breathe as a Legendary Celtic team?

To defend him is a disrespect to the Celtic franchise imo. It shows that there are more fans of players, than your actual team, and history.

I doubt you are correct about Jaylen, but I am always hyper-aware that I don’t know these guys at all. Like you, I do get impressions, and my impression of Jaylen is that he’s a curious young man who is in the process of figuring things out for himself.  He’s had some questionable attitudinal moments, and also shown some sustained grit and fortitude.  If I were to guess, his question to DA was more innocence than arrogance.  But of course, like you, I don’t really know Jaylen Brown.   What I hope is that you’re wrong and that he turns out to be both a great player and great teammate.  From what I’ve seen, it seems possible. 

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

When exactly did Brown show his displeasure with the Kyrie trade?

When did Brown let it be known he didn't like Kyrie from day one?

When did Brown question the team culture before Kyrie even stepped on a Celtic court?

Ainge's comments that Brown handled last year better than anyone else on the team doesn't jive with your view that Brown has been or will be a problem. Actually, nothing Brown has said publicly conforms with anything you are trying to sell here.

Brown stuck up for his younger teammates when Kyrie went public with criticism for them and not everyone and Brown was talked to sternly a couple times on court. Other than those things and whatever negative you want to read into them, Brown has been a fine player, a good person and a great representative of his team(both on Team USA and as an Executive VP of the NBAPL.

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

When did Brown question the team culture before Kyrie even stepped on a Celtic court?

Think he's referring to this (when asked about trading IT):  "It changes the whole dynamic, the whole culture. We’ll see if it’s for good or bad, time will tell. But it’s still a little weird to me, to be honest, because when I came in everything they stressed was culture, environment, Celtic basketball. Now, it’s like what is the environment, the culture, what is Celtic basketball?"

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/10/jaylen-bronw-meeting-heroes

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2019, 11:59:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Think he's referring to this (when asked about trading IT):  "It changes the whole dynamic, the whole culture. We’ll see if it’s for good or bad, time will tell. But it’s still a little weird to me, to be honest, because when I came in everything they stressed was culture, environment, Celtic basketball. Now, it’s like what is the environment, the culture, what is Celtic basketball?"

https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/10/jaylen-bronw-meeting-heroes
That is a huge stretch. Jaylen was 20, just coming into his 2nd year and saw only 3 other players returning from a 53 win team. Hence, his comments. Context.

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Ainge's comments that Brown handled last year better than anyone else on the team doesn't jive with your view that Brown has been or will be a problem. Actually, nothing Brown has said publicly conforms with anything you are trying to sell here.

Brown stuck up for his younger teammates when Kyrie went public with criticism for them and not everyone and Brown was talked to sternly a couple times on court. Other than those things and whatever negative you want to read into them, Brown has been a fine player, a good person and a great representative of his team(both on Team USA and as an Executive VP of the NBAPL.
^this. If you think Jaylen Brown is another Dion Waiters I really don't think you've been paying attention to any player on the Celtics aside from your number one player from Cleveland in Kyrie Irving.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Imagine Horford - Mook - Tatum trying to defend Parish - McHale - Bird.

Ouch

How long before they say 'no mas'.

It would be a blow out with Larry nplaying left handed

And McHale on one ankle
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ouch

And McHale on one ankle

And the Chief higher than a (Greg) Kite.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ouch

And McHale on one ankle

And the Chief higher than a (Greg) Kite.
You gotta think that Chief and Walton were puff brothers on that team, right?

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
So much for Brown's basketball IQ eh?

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
So much for Brown's basketball IQ eh?

Danny should have asked what Brown can do for him..while handing him a replica UPS uniform.