Author Topic: Timelord highlights vs Spurs - feeling giddy  (Read 20239 times)

Re: Timelord highlights vs Spurs - feeling giddy
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I want to see more of Timelord on the court. Sadly Brad didn’t play him at all in the 4th quarter tonight

I mentioned this to a friend post-match (Stevens talking up Williams then giving him 17 minutes).

I don't think the style of game was best for TL. Dallas didn't do much in the paint apart from when Doncic penetrated. He appeared to make some mistakes and we were doing a lot of double teaming tonight because of Doncic.

Plus, Theis played really well.

That's just it. There was a stretch in the 4th quarter where Theis was on the bench too. I mean seriously, why were Timelord, Theis and Kanter all on the bench at the same time? I didn't like the way Stevens coach last night at all. It was one of those wins where I was happy for the players but also felt that could've just as easily been a loss.

Also, I disagree with the style of the game not dictating the need for a big. Dallas had some size with Kleber, Powell and Porzingis. I think even Doncic at one point was taller than any player on the floor for the Celts. Wake up Brad!!
Theis was getting his usual rotation minutes in the second half and Timelord had been giving up easy PnR dunks and corner threes during his minutes earlier in the game.

So once Porzingis was out Brad went smaller in the 4th until the closing stretch with Theis. Timelord is tall and does good things overall this year but he got carved up this game by Luka.

All I know is in the 1st half (right up until the final 3 minutes or so when we let off the pedal and Dallas started to chip away), the Celts were containing Doncic (despite his 10 first half points) and Timelord did a decent job on both ends of the floor.
Timelord was the C during that stretch where they tied it! (Theis was getting his finger looked at in the locker room) Doncic got cooking because he figured out how to abuse Timelord in the PnR.

He then cooked him in the PnR in the 3rd quarter before Carlisle took him out for some rest to start the 4th quarter.

I get that Robert Williams needs minutes to develop but he's getting those. He played his usually 7 minute stints in both halves and wasn't playing well enough to warrant more.

As for Kanter, I think Brad just trust Theis and Timelord more especially against a team that is so good in the PnR like the Mavericks.

Yeah, I know there's things Robert needs to improve on. I just don't see him as a liability on the court. I mean what's done is done and yes we did win. And trust me, a win is more important to me than letting Robert develop.

I just feel because we don't have many bigs, that Timelord could end up being a big asset for us. And, he probably has more natural talent out of him, Theis and Kanter.

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2019, 10:17:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I want to see more of Timelord on the court. Sadly Brad didn’t play him at all in the 4th quarter tonight

I mentioned this to a friend post-match (Stevens talking up Williams then giving him 17 minutes).

I don't think the style of game was best for TL. Dallas didn't do much in the paint apart from when Doncic penetrated. He appeared to make some mistakes and we were doing a lot of double teaming tonight because of Doncic.

That's just it. There was a stretch in the 4th quarter where Theis was on the bench too. I mean seriously, why were Timelord, Theis and Kanter all on the bench at the same time? I didn't like the way Stevens coach last night at all. It was one of those wins where I was happy for the players but also felt that could've just as easily been a loss.

Also, I disagree with the style of the game not dictating the need for a big. Dallas had some size with Kleber, Powell and Porzingis. I think even Doncic at one point was taller than any player on the floor for the Celts. Wake up Brad!!
Theis was getting his usual rotation minutes in the second half and Timelord had been giving up easy PnR dunks and corner threes during his minutes earlier in the game.

So once Porzingis was out Brad went smaller in the 4th until the closing stretch with Theis. Timelord is tall and does good things overall this year but he got carved up this game by Luka.

All I know is in the 1st half (right up until the final 3 minutes or so when we let off the pedal and Dallas started to chip away), the Celts were containing Doncic (despite his 10 first half points) and Timelord did a decent job on both ends of the floor.

Also, how is he going to improve if Brad doesn't play him in crucial situations? I'm not saying to risk losing at the risk of making Robert a better player but at the same time, the kid deserves a chance.

Next time if Brad coaches the same way, Dallas is going to carve us up (IMO)

PS..why did Kanter only play for a few minutes in the 1st half?
Williams looked good on offense but I disagree that he did a decent job on the defensive end. I think he struggled with the game plan Brad had to double and contain Doncic by having the center defender run off his man for quick doubles.

Stevens wanted his center playing like Theis played last night and Williams couldn't do it. A win is more important than letting Timelord play poorly so he can learn from his mistakes. Williams had some minutes and struggled with the very different game plan put in place defensively.

That's okay. Timelord is getting some run and will learn even from that. There is no reason to force feed him minutes. We saw the negative effects force feeding someone minutes that hasn't earned them can have on a team as a whole last year with Hayward.

I trust Brad on this one.

No disagreements here. I'm glad we won the game. I'm glad for Kemba, Smart and Jaylen because they all played their butts off (and Theis as he hurt his finger, twice.)

But I also don't want us winning games by the seat of our pants, which is what I feel last night's win was. I'd like there to be more structure than just throwing out 5 random guys for no rhyme or reason. Like yesterday I think Javonte Green, Grant Williams, Tatum, Wannamaker and someone else ( can't remember who) were on the court, and we were struggling.

Our bench needs improving.

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

But I also don't want us winning games by the seat of our pants, which is what I feel last night's win was. I'd like there to be more structure than just throwing out 5 random guys for no rhyme or reason. Like yesterday I think Javonte Green, Grant Williams, Tatum, Wannamaker and someone else ( can't remember who) were on the court, and we were struggling.

The bench were playing and struggling. I don't see what putting in an already struggling Timelord would have done to make things better.

Also, you can't waltz to a convincing victory every game. This team isn't the '86 Celtics, the '96 Bulls or the '17 Warriors. They are going to have a ton of close games.

As for lack of structure, it's early in the season and Stevens always experiments with rotations at this time of year. He also has had to deal with Brown missing 3 games, Kanter missing 8 games and now Hayward out and will be for weeks. Add to that the unknown of having 7 men on the 15 man roster that are new to the team and Stevens and I think Stevens is doing a tremendous job thus far.

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The bench were playing and struggling. I don't see what putting in an already struggling Timelord would have done to make things better.

Also, you can't waltz to a convincing victory every game. This team isn't the '86 Celtics, the '96 Bulls or the '17 Warriors. They are going to have a ton of close games.

As for lack of structure, it's early in the season and Stevens always experiments with rotations at this time of year. He also has had to deal with Brown missing 3 games, Kanter missing 8 games and now Hayward out and will be for weeks. Add to that the unknown of having 7 men on the 15 man roster that are new to the team and Stevens and I think Stevens is doing a tremendous job thus far.

Yep, and just adding that with especially Hayward out for a while I think there will be lots of close games against the better teams of the league.  Also that was the Mavs first road loss of the year.  They are a darn good team.

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2019, 11:45:44 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No disagreements here. I'm glad we won the game. I'm glad for Kemba, Smart and Jaylen because they all played their butts off (and Theis as he hurt his finger, twice.)

Man, I'm gonna zig about most everything you say today.

I think we are the second deepest team in the NBA this year, behind only the Clippers.

Williams, Smart, and Kanter off the bench are all really effective players in their roles. Wanamaker is a legit 3rd string/2nd string point guard that can make some plays. Ojeleye is a really good one-on-one defender against wings and swings, which is a major contribution on the court. Edwards and Grant Williams are still trying to figure out their role in the NBA, but both can swing games and both have had a significant impact to help win games this year already.

None of those guys are Lou Williams, but we keep one of Walker, Tatum, Brown, or Hayward in the game at all times--they just start their best players instead of bringing one of their best players off the bench.

In fact, you could argue that are depth has been the thing that has led us to the best record in the NBA so far this year, especially with the injuries. 

« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I would agree. I think Brad loves GW's offensive versatility...

No doubt, but what gets Grant on the floor is his defense, including his defensive versatility. He’s getting a stretch every game, almost, when he’s the 5. Love the physical play, getting in his man’s airspace, forcing the issue.

I’ll say it again: Grant is a Celtic, old school.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
One thing I would like to figure out is the spelling of Timelord / Time Lord. The latter is what his name actually originated from (the species from Doctor Who), while the former seems to be the more common way from Cs fans and a cleaner one-word nickname.

I know it is pretty irrelevant, but I struggle when writing his name because I want to write 'Time Lord' because I think that is correct, but feel peer pressured into writing 'Timelord.'

It would be nice to put this to bed once and for all so we can all move on with our lives (or at least me  :D )

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

...we keep one of Walker, Tatum, Brown, or Hayward in the game at all times--

When healthy, two of them.

Very interesting how they’ve adapted to the loss of Hayward: they always have at least two of Walker, Brown, Tatum, or Smart on the floor.

And as before, they tend to pair Tatum and Brown.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
One thing I would like to figure out is the spelling of Timelord / Time Lord. The latter is what his name actually originated from (the species from Doctor Who), while the former seems to be the more common way from Cs fans and a cleaner one-word nickname.

I know it is pretty irrelevant, but I struggle when writing his name because I want to write 'Time Lord' because I think that is correct, but feel peer pressured into writing 'Timelord.'

It would be nice to put this to bed once and for all so we can all move on with our lives (or at least me  :D )

Well, as a non fan of the name "Time Lord", a new nickname for Robert popped into my head last night, as a sort of attempted compromise with "Time Lord" lovers. 

My choice:  Glockenspiel.  "Glock" for short.  Or:  "The Glock".   At the moment it entered my head I thought it was a fancy German old fashioned clock or time piece.  Maybe because Glock rhymes with Clock.  In any case, turns out it's a percussive instrument that is similar to a xylophone but with metal bars instead of wood. 

When he dunks or has dramatic blocks I want the PA announcer to play the sound of the Glockenspiel.  I mean his dunks are certainly percussive! 

Ok...let the change occur.  Keep dunking and blocking shots Robert...The Glock! 

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2019, 12:50:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think we are the second deepest team in the NBA this year, behind only the Clippers.

Williams, Smart, and Kanter off the bench are all really effective players in their roles. Wanamaker is a legit 3rd string/2nd string point guard that can make some plays. Ojeleye is a really good one-on-one defender against wings and swings, which is a major contribution on the court. Edwards and Grant Williams are still trying to figure out their role in the NBA, but both can swing games and both have had a significant impact to help win games this year already.

None of those guys are Lou Williams, but we keep one of Walker, Tatum, Brown, or Hayward in the game at all times--they just start their best players instead of bringing one of their best players off the bench.

In fact, you could argue that are depth has been the thing that has led us to the best record in the NBA so far this year, especially with the injuries.

Right back at you.

Ojeleye cannot be relied upon. If you want to bring him in very briefly for defense, I guess that helps but he's not a useful bench player.

Wannamaker is so-so. I'm not crazy about him. Again, he'll show flashes of brilliance but his play is inconsistent. Grant Williams has great on-court awareness, good rebounder and good defender. But offensively he needs work. Edwards needs work. I was under the impression he was a really good shooter, but with the exception of the Cavs game, I haven't seen it.

And that's not a knock on Grant or Carson. They're just rookies trying to find their groove. It's the team Ainge assembled.

And your point about keeping one or more of the starters in the game at all times....Really?

You do that and by the end of the season, those guys are going to be toast!!

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Grant Williams has great on-court awareness, good rebounder and good defender.

Agree, except for the rebounding part. On the defensive board, where they need him the most, he’s been behind Kemba, Wanamaker, and freaking Carsen.

And your point about keeping one or more of the starters in the game at all times....Really?

It’s more than that - he’s not talking about starters, he’s talking about Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Walker.

In fact they’re religiously keeping two of them on the court at the same time, with Marcus now instead of Gordon.

« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Right back at you.

Ojeleye cannot be relied upon. If you want to bring him in very briefly for defense, I guess that helps but he's not a useful bench player.

Wannamaker is so-so. I'm not crazy about him. Again, he'll show flashes of brilliance but his play is inconsistent. Grant Williams has great on-court awareness, good rebounder and good defender. But offensively he needs work. Edwards needs work. I was under the impression he was a really good shooter, but with the exception of the Cavs game, I haven't seen it.

And that's not a knock on Grant or Carson. They're just rookies trying to find their groove. It's the team Ainge assembled.

That's how Brad is managing it. I suspect he'll try to all season long, we don't have enough offense otherwise.

Other than garbage time, there's rarely a time - if there has been any at all - that at least one of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, or Hayward hasn't been on the floor, yet collectively, they average about 32.5 minutes a game, with Tatum the most at 34. That's not out of line with what any other good team is doing with their player management.

34 minutes a game and less shouldn't run anyone into the ground.

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Right back at you.

That's how Brad is managing it. I suspect he'll try to all season long, we don't have enough offense otherwise.

Other than garbage time, there's rarely a time - if there has been any at all - that at least one of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, or Hayward hasn't been on the floor...

And in fact at least two of them.

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He still over-commits on defense. He isn't chasing every single block as bad as he was last season, so that's improvement, but he still over-commits helping near the rim and that creates holes. He gave up a few baskets that way last night.

I love when he's on the court because his athleticism and skills make him someone opponents have to worry about but he's still only a 15-20 minute a night player until he gets more disciplined. And I think he will.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
He still over-commits on defense. He isn't chasing every single block as bad as he was last season, so that's improvement, but he still over-commits helping near the rim and that creates holes. He gave up a few baskets that way last night.

I love when he's on the court because his athleticism and skills make him someone opponents have to worry about but he's still only a 15-20 minute a night player until he gets more disciplined. And I think he will.

Pretty good assessment.

He doesn’t consistently maintain a defensive stance. This limits him - he gets caught flat-footed.