Author Topic: DA / Catastrophic Mistake  (Read 13692 times)

Re: DA / Catastrophic Mistake
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
i love the terms common sense and denying reality...what a bunch of fluff...that basically means you got nothing and are dealing in hypotheticals...

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

bron is 29...love is 25...irving is 22...we will not sniff the Finals for 5 to 7 years...barring injuries in cleveland...

I remember these same "The sky is falling!" threads when Lebron went to Miami.  While they were a good team, they were far from unbeatable.  Same can be said about a Love, Lebron, Irving trio.

While I do not agree with the OP, I would say getting to 4 straight NBA finals is pretty good. That is 4 more finals than the Celts appeared in in the last 4 years.

I don't care about finals appearances, I care about finals wins.  They don't hang up ECF banners in the garden.  And even if Miami didn't exist, the 2011-14 Celtics wouldn't have won any titles, because they were an old team that was falling apart. 

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Dude, he got a project Center, an expiring and a first round pick for a 2nd rounder.

How's that a bonehead move? Who cares if it opened up for Cleveland? LeBron is not going to be there forever. Meanwhile, we are setting ourselves up for a great next one or two years.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
so once again...i hear about all these mythical teams like la and gs that were supposedly going to step up to plate...so now you're going to tell me...since it was de facto a done deal...we might as well beat them to the punch...i'll say it again...PROVE that there was another team READY to step up to plate...i just hear conjectures...PROVE it...
How about you PROVE there were no other teams that would have stepped up to the plate?

It's very likely that Danny knew the C's weren't getting Love by now, that Flip wouldn't trade for what DA was willing to give up, so he moved on. Sure, it was a risk to "help the Cavs", but so what?

If you remember 10 years ago, Danny "helped" the Pistons, but he got the C's some extra assets. Same thing here. Yeah, it could be that it's LeBron, Irving and Love for a few years, but again, so what? It's Cleveland after all, they'll find a way to squander their advantage...don't they always?

IAC, the wheel turns, Danny churns assets, and the C's will be back on top sooner than you think.

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

bron is 29...love is 25...irving is 22...we will not sniff the Finals for 5 to 7 years...barring injuries in cleveland...

I remember these same "The sky is falling!" threads when Lebron went to Miami.  While they were a good team, they were far from unbeatable.  Same can be said about a Love, Lebron, Irving trio.

While I do not agree with the OP, I would say getting to 4 straight NBA finals is pretty good. That is 4 more finals than the Celts appeared in in the last 4 years.

I don't care about finals appearances, I care about finals wins.  They don't hang up ECF banners in the garden.  And even if Miami didn't exist, the 2011-14 Celtics wouldn't have won any titles, because they were an old team that was falling apart.

I would hate to be the fan of a team that went to four straight championship finals and won two of them.

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Rutzan, please answer this question:

Do you think if Boston says No to the Marcus Thornton deal, that Cleveland just gives up and doesn't find someone to take Jarrett Jack's contract?  That they would just give up on the chance to sign the best player in the world?

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
let me preface this by saying that i am a big DA supporter...i actually think he has been brilliant...

with that said...

the oldest rule in the book...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...

DA opened the door for lebron and love to cleveland with the zeller trade...if you disagree...prove to me that there was another way for cleveland to clear cap space with the wave of a TPE...

i know...you're going to say you can't control what other teams do...you have to do what makes your team better...i'll never buy that argument...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...oldest rule in the book...
No.

Had Boston not taken on that contract, someone else would.  Just stop.  There are a dozen teams in the league with cap space to take on Thornton's expiring + Zeller and a 1st.   Watch Houston dump Lin on someone ... same thing.   Had we not jumped on it, someone else would have.    In-fact, Philly fans were pretty upset that they didn't get Zeller + a 1st for nothing.  There was an article on their blog about how Danny Ainge stole their gimmick.

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
i love the terms common sense and denying reality...what a bunch of fluff...that basically means you got nothing and are dealing in hypotheticals...

Pretty much the premise of this thread then right? You don't have any concrete "evidence" that there WEREN'T any other offers as well, but continue.

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

the same can be said about you

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I hear the Earth is flat also.

I wish negative Tommy Points were still an option.

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

I would hate to be the fan of a team that went to four straight championship finals and won two of them.

I did't say it wasn't a good run.  I'm saying that they weren't the unbeatable team that many made them out to be when Lebron went to Miami. 

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Pretty much the premise of this thread then right? You don't have any concrete "evidence" that there WEREN'T any other offers as well, but continue.

Your logic is too logical for this illogical person.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
let me preface this by saying that i am a big DA supporter...i actually think he has been brilliant...

with that said...

the oldest rule in the book...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...

DA opened the door for lebron and love to cleveland with the zeller trade...if you disagree...prove to me that there was another way for cleveland to clear cap space with the wave of a TPE...

i know...you're going to say you can't control what other teams do...you have to do what makes your team better...i'll never buy that argument...you NEVER trade in your division or conference...oldest rule in the book...
No.

Had Boston not taken on that contract, someone else would.  Just stop.  There are a dozen teams in the league with cap space to take on Thornton's expiring + Zeller and a 1st.   Watch Houston dump Lin on someone ... same thing.   Had we not jumped on it, someone else would have.    In-fact, Philly fans were pretty upset that they didn't get Zeller + a 1st for nothing.  There was an article on their blog about how Danny Ainge stole their gimmick.

Funny you say this they did To the Lakers

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
BRING BACK THE NEGATIVE TP NOW!!!

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
so once again...i hear about all these mythical teams like la and gs that were supposedly going to step up to plate...so now you're going to tell me...since it was de facto a done deal...we might as well beat them to the punch...i'll say it again...PROVE that there was another team READY to step up to plate...i just hear conjectures...PROVE it...
How about you PROVE there were no other teams that would have stepped up to the plate?

It's very likely that Danny knew the C's weren't getting Love by now, that Flip wouldn't trade for what DA was willing to give up, so he moved on. Sure, it was a risk to "help the Cavs", but so what?

If you remember 10 years ago, Danny "helped" the Pistons, but he got the C's some extra assets. Same thing here. Yeah, it could be that it's LeBron, Irving and Love for a few years, but again, so what? It's Cleveland after all, they'll find a way to squander their advantage...don't they always?

IAC, the wheel turns, Danny churns assets, and the C's will be back on top sooner than you think.

Exactly.  Why don't you PROVE to all of us that there weren't other options.  You are still going to have 90% of us disagreeing with you.