Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182161 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #375 on: July 28, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If you're into Zombies etc DJ Molles' The Remaining series is a "can't put it down" level.

Also enjoying Bad Monkey by Carl Hiassen (my outdoor reading book for the summer)
I read the first book in The Remaining series, and it was REALLY easy to read, and entertaining.  The one thing that got me though was typos and grammatical errors.  It put me off enough to not finish the series, even though it was a captivating story.  Puts self-publishing in a certain light, at least in my opinion.

I'm just finishing As The Mountains Echoed by Khalid Hosseini (author of Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Sons) and it is amazing.

Yeh, the editing oversights were pretty bad.  I get the impression he used voice recognition then spell check and left it at that.  This meant a lot of things like "we left are guns in the trunk".

It got better in the third and fourth books. 
Yup

« Reply #376 on: July 28, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Im sure after this many pages it's come up.

For whom the bell tolls. That is all

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #377 on: September 12, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
A song of ice and fire was brilliant
I don't watch game of thrones but I know people who watch and read them. So if you like the tv show I'd really recommend the books  :)

Just finished that myself.  I enjoyed it and would recommend any fan of the show to read them. 

Now, I need something else to read.  I may give Sanderson a go based on the previous recommendations.  But first I will go back to non-fiction since I have had my eye on a book about the House of Plantagenet.

« Reply #378 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wool. Liked it a lot, but I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories and for dystopia stories. First fiction I had read in a few years.

« Reply #379 on: September 12, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Ender's Game ... the movie release is October 1st, so this would be the perfect time to read it, (Orson Scott Card is one of the best contemp sci-fi authors, IMHO).

I am very skeptical that the movie could ever be as good as the book, but it looks like fun.

It's sometimes hard to separate, but I try to use my knowledge of a book, (if I read it before seeing the movie version), as just a general outline for the film.

It's just plain too difficult to include the expanse and detail of a book in a movie without making it five or six hours long, (Deathly Hallows is a good example ... they should have split Goblet Of Fire as well).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao, Infinity Jest, Life of Pie, and I'm currently reading The New Jim Crow (fantastic book)

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #381 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao, Infinity Jest, Life of Pie, and I'm currently reading The New Jim Crow (fantastic book)

TP for the mention of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #382 on: September 12, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ender's Game ... the movie release is October 1st, so this would be the perfect time to read it, (Orson Scott Card is one of the best contemp sci-fi authors, IMHO).

I am very skeptical that the movie could ever be as good as the book, but it looks like fun.

It's sometimes hard to separate, but I try to use my knowledge of a book, (if I read it before seeing the movie version), as just a general outline for the film.

It's just plain too difficult to include the expanse and detail of a book in a movie without making it five or six hours long, (Deathly Hallows is a good example ... they should have split Goblet Of Fire as well).

Ahhhhh you've come over to the dark side. I agree, the movie is going to have a LOT to live up to.

As far as books go, when I was 13 or so I read Roger Zealazny's nine princes in amber series.

13 year old me did not appreciate it anywhere near as much as it deserved. It's a genre-busting series that mixes sci-fi, urban fantasy, and high fantasy with a hard-boiled detective narrative. They're just so very good. Everyone, if you like any of those things, read them!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:06 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Ahhhhh you've come over to the dark side. I agree, the movie is going to have a LOT to live up to.

As far as books go, when I was 13 or so I read Roger Zealazny's nine princes in amber series.

13 year old me did not appreciate it anywhere near as much as it deserved. It's a genre-busting series that mixes sci-fi, urban fantasy, and high fantasy with a hard-boiled detective narrative. They're just so very good. Everyone, if you like any of those things, read them!
Superb series and author, (love Zelazney).

I really had no desire for recreational reading until I was in 8th grade and read Pebble In The Sky by Isaac Asimov ... my world changed overnight, literally.

I then went about reading every Asimov I could get my hands on, (there's a LOT - I believe he's still THE or one of the most prolific authors of all time), and while much of it is outdated as far as what we know about science and the universe, I still love it, even the corny Lucky Starr series.

Then on to Poul Anderson, Arthur C. Clarke, Alfred Bester, Larry Niven, Ursula Le Guin, Harlan Ellison, (oh, one of my top favs, is Harlan), Bradbury, Heinlein, etc..

Over the years sci-fi has gotten harder and darker, and I love it just as much. I adore anthologies of short stories and novellas, (best story ever: With Virgil Oddum at the East Pole), Press Enter (Varley), The Hob, The Jaguar Hunter (exquisitely dark), Surfacing (Walter Williams - same) ... then deeper into fantasy.

Could go on all night, but you get the idea ... reading became an obsession, and it improved my life, studies, everything, really. I don't think the genre matters if people find a connection with something that sparks that desire.

I truly fear for the written word, and not just actual printing being replaced by digital, because that's actually good in most ways, as it can reach so many more people, but there's something about holding a book, the weight of it, turning the pages.

But for me science fiction is the ultimate escape, (something I'm an expert at), and there are literally no limits but the human mind ... what someone can conceive with limitless imagination ... sci-fi defines that for me.

While I now love literature of almost every kind, nothing will ever compare or be as dear to me, because it taught me that there truly are no limits to what one can imagine, and how that can affect others ... chnage their lives.

But it was "The Good Doctor" Asimov that started it all, and his ability to make genius easy to grasp for everyone was very special.

I get the feeling with some authors that they are trying to be complex to "one-up" what has come before, and that their being able to grasp their own intellect is enough, and a befuddled fan is just proof of their superiority.

But even that kind of writing pulls me in ... takes me places I never though or imagined I could go. It's really an amazing thing, the written word, and Gutenberg is owed a huge place in contributions to the human race.

Wow ... late-night sci-fi rant ... sorry bout that.

Love it all, truly, and Zelazney's one of the greats.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2013, 12:17:23 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Couldn't agree more about Zelazny. The Amber series and his entire body of work in fact are just amazing. He is one of my two or three favorite authors ever, I think.

Some of Neil Gaiman's better work is pretty similar to Zelazny's style.

« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
In a similar vein, Voyager 1 has now left the solar system, and is over 11.5 billion miles from the sun.

On deeper into the Milky Way, into the "vast cold emptiness" says NASA ... but emptiness is a relative term now.

Dark matter ... dark energy.

I would love to see what it may "see" someday.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #386 on: September 13, 2013, 12:31:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Couldn't agree more about Zelazny. The Amber series and his entire body of work in fact are just amazing. He is one of my two or three favorite authors ever, I think.

Some of Neil Gaiman's better work is pretty similar to Zelazny's style.

That's just such an insane praise, it speaks to the unique nature of Zelazny's work. I like to write, and American Gods was the first book I read where I thought to myself, 'You know what buddy, you're kind of crappy at this..'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:32 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Meter-Running-Martin-Ludo-ebook/dp/B00HMD9RA2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Keep the Meter Running, by Martin Ludo.

Quick, easy read. The writer is very witty and the stories are entertaining. I'd highly recommend it.

« Reply #388 on: January 02, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »

Kiorrik

Reading Shaq's book. Reads like a series of anecdotes. Pretty amusing though.

« Reply #389 on: January 02, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Reading Shaq's book. Reads like a series of anecdotes. Pretty amusing though.

I liked that one.

I like mysteries/crime fiction. The latest Ian Rankin book is pretty good, as is the latest Michael Conelly.