Author Topic: Where does Mike Conley jr end up?  (Read 8443 times)

Re: Where does Mike Conley jr end up?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wonder if the Timberwolves might be able to put together an offer.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Jazz/Pistons seem like the most noticeable teams to go after him.

Jazz offered Rubio+Exum+1st round pick, and Grizzlies wanted a little more. I don't think they are gonna get that much of a great offer, but who knows?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Jazz offered Rubio+Exum+1st round pick, and Grizzlies wanted a little more. I don't think they are gonna get that much of a great offer, but who knows?

But now Rubio is an FA and Exum went down with another injury. What does Utah have now besides cap space?

I the Lakers can pull the trigger if they miss out on FAs and can't swing a trade for Beal. Maybe NYK if they can't get Kyrie or Kemba. Maybe Toronto revisits it it Kahwi reups.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

But now Rubio is an FA and Exum went down with another injury. What does Utah have now besides cap space?

I the Lakers can pull the trigger if they miss out on FAs and can't swing a trade for Beal. Maybe NYK if they can't get Kyrie or Kemba. Maybe Toronto revisits it it Kahwi reups.

I would actually like Conley to go to the Pistons. Think he's exactly what they are looking for. But yeah doubt Jazz is in the running, unless they can manage to offer something enticing. Their picks are meh, plus besides Grayson Allen, Tony Bradley, or Jae Crowder. Who can they really offer?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I wonder if the Cavs think Sexton and Conley can play together.  Pairing Conley with Love would make the Cavs interesting and probably a back end of the playoffs type team.  Cavs have plenty of contracts to trade, including Smith who has a small guarantee, so they can offer real cap savings and someone like Clarkson or Henson might make sense on the Grizzlies. Cavs can't really offer a first, but Clarkson, Zizic, and Smith for Conley is at least an interesting trade for the Grizzlies. 

Even if the Cavs aren't a final destination for Conley, they could pretty easily fit in as a 3rd team with Smith's contract being very valuable in that situation.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I would actually like Conley to go to the Pistons. Think he's exactly what they are looking for. But yeah doubt Jazz is in the running, unless they can manage to offer something enticing. Their picks are meh, plus besides Grayson Allen, Tony Bradley, or Jae Crowder. Who can they really offer?

I just don't know what Detroit has to trade. What about Chicago? Are they trying to make the playoffs next year? Maybe a deal built around some combo of Dunn, Valentine, Felicio and a protected 1st. Conley/Lavine/Markkanen/Porter Jr. should get them a lower seed in the East.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He's still got 2 years + $67 million, how the heck do we get him? Hayward makes little sense because he has the same # of years and $ left, it'd probably have to be Horford with his 1 remaining year and then whatever to make salaries match. Then we have to replace Horford. Don't think Danny goes for that even if Kyrie and Rozier are both gone.

Not sure I follow why Hayward wouldn't be perfect.

He’s only looking at it form a salary saving stand point and ignoring the possibility that Hayward could possibly be an effective starting player for them is all.

I'm saying if they cut bait on Conley they're officially starting a full rebuild around Morant and Jackson, and they aren't going to look to pay a regular old solid starting player with no ties to the city max money for 2 years while they don't even sniff contention or even the playoffs. Memphis is one of the smallest markets in the league and salary is going to mean a lot there. And the Chandler Parsons comparisons would be through the roof.

The only way it really makes sense for them to take on Hayward's nearly identical contract is if Conley wants out (questionable) and they think Hayward can be something close to his former 20+ ppg, All-Star self, in which case we'd be nuts to move him.

I just don't see them moving Conley for zero savings unless maybe we tossed in a sweetener or two which we'd also be nuts to do.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:24:23 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
2 years 67 million for a fringe all-star? That doesn't seem very easy to move...

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
2 years 67 million for a fringe all-star? That doesn't seem very easy to move...

This is my thought. I really like Conley and have been a fan of his back to his OSU days when I actually cared bout college hoops but.....anyways I think he would fit well in Detroit but not sure what they trade

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't know what Minny's pick situation is, but if Teague picks up his $19 million option for next season (seems likely), they could do Teague + Dieng + 1st for Conley.

Would Memphis do that?  I don't know, but I feel like at this point getting a 1st round pick from a team that's not a lock to make the playoffs would be about as good as they could hope for.  Plus Teague expires after one year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I don't know what Minny's pick situation is, but if Teague picks up his $19 million option for next season (seems likely), they could do Teague + Dieng + 1st for Conley.

Would Memphis do that?  I don't know, but I feel like at this point getting a 1st round pick from a team that's not a lock to make the playoffs would be about as good as they could hope for.  Plus Teague expires after one year.

I could see that deal happening, but is that what we consider a haul? An overpaid, should be backup point, and a non lottery pick and two years of horrible money for Dieng?

I also think that Minny probably does make the playoffs with Conley, Gibson, Saric, Covington, Towns (or Towns is not good at all).

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 08:08:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Thinking outside the box, how about Orlando?  Maybe Mozgov and Fultz for Conley.  Memphis gets a crack at Fultz panning out and Orlando gets the type of solid veteran PG that makes sense on a rising team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I could see that deal happening, but is that what we consider a haul? An overpaid, should be backup point, and a non lottery pick and two years of horrible money for Dieng?

I also think that Minny probably does make the playoffs with Conley, Gibson, Saric, Covington, Towns (or Towns is not good at all).

I don't think that's the best offer they'd have, the only asset is the pick and that alone wouldnt even get them off Dieng.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I think it is, it's only two years and that's a length that's easy to swallow. There are plenty if mid market teams who want a talent.upgrade who wont be able to do better than conley.

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I imagine a team with cap space that totally misses out on their desired target(s) would have the advantage. As a small market team, cap space and flexibility would likely be most important to them in a rebuild. A mid-tier prospect and a 1st (plus an unnecessary TPE) should be more attractive than any overpaid role players.