Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156114 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #510 on: December 01, 2020, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
There's a bit of an error on the front page. It says I drafted Archibald instead of English.
Fixed that for you!
Thanks, appreciate it.
My bad :'(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #511 on: December 01, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
With the 9th pick in Round 2 of the 2021 Historical Draft the Phoenix Suns select:

REGGIE MILLER

A steal here.

I debated pairing clyde and reggie for a bit.

Love reggies clutch and shooting
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #512 on: December 01, 2020, 11:54:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
So with the last the pick of the 2nd round, the Chicago Bulls are going to select Shawn Kemp.

SF: Julius Erving
PF: Shawn Kemp

« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2020, 11:54:53 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
So with the last the pick of the 2nd round, the Chicago Bulls are going to select Shawn Kemp.

Woah I was hoping he'd fall farther, into my grasp!  :o
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #514 on: December 01, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Nice.  Kemp was an absolute monster in Seattle.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #515 on: December 01, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

That forward combination is going to terrorise teams on the fast break.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #516 on: December 01, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Dang, that's a super athletic pairing. Would be so fun to watch. Had hoped Kemp would fall. His 93-94 season was awesome
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #517 on: December 01, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Two of the best in-game dunkers of all time! The Bulls would be a fun team to watch, no doubt about that! 8)

« Reply #518 on: December 01, 2020, 12:03:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think Miller is the most overrated player history, that said, he is an excellent player to pair with Giannis.
Now that is strange to me. Miller was a genuinely elite scorer who powered a decade of strong Pacer offences, his numbers were suppressed by the incredibly slow pace of the game when he peaked in the mid-90s and his scoring was additive in a way that others cannot replicate - Miller doesn't need the ball to drop his nightly "27 points" (that's his peak playoff scoring rate adjusted for pace) on sky-high efficiency against the toughest of defences.
Reggie was absolutely an elite shooter (one of the best ever), but he was a poor defender, didn't rebound, didn't pass well, wasn't a great ballhandler, etc.  Even with a slower pace he only hit 23 ppg once in his career (his 3rd year).  His FTr was good, but not great.  He was basically a catch and shoot player.  He made the 3rd Team All NBA 3 times in his career, received MVP votes just twice (13th and 16th), made just 5 All Star games, etc.  His contemporaries knew what he was, yet if you talk to people today, they make it seem like he was this monster only slightly worse than Jordan.  So that is what I mean when I say he is the most overrated player ever. 

« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2020, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think Miller is the most overrated player history, that said, he is an excellent player to pair with Giannis.
Now that is strange to me. Miller was a genuinely elite scorer who powered a decade of strong Pacer offences, his numbers were suppressed by the incredibly slow pace of the game when he peaked in the mid-90s and his scoring was additive in a way that others cannot replicate - Miller doesn't need the ball to drop his nightly "27 points" (that's his peak playoff scoring rate adjusted for pace) on sky-high efficiency against the toughest of defences.
Reggie was absolutely an elite shooter (one of the best ever), but he was a poor defender, didn't rebound, didn't pass well, wasn't a great ballhandler, etc.  Even with a slower pace he only hit 23 ppg once in his career (his 3rd year).  His FTr was good, but not great.  He was basically a catch and shoot player.  He made the 3rd Team All NBA 3 times in his career, received MVP votes just twice (13th and 16th), made just 5 All Star games, etc.  His contemporaries knew what he was, yet if you talk to people today, they make it seem like he was this monster only slightly worse than Jordan.  So that is what I mean when I say he is the most overrated player ever.
Hyperbole much? Miller was a feisty man defender who admittedly was a mixed bag as a team defender, but this is hardly worse than say Drexler on that end of the floor. He wasn't a good passer or ballhandler, but his passing was good enough to find openings in opposing defences and his off-ball creation made up for his limitations a bit in that regard: his shooting gravity would pull away extra defenders and create openings for his teammates. His "23 ppg" is impressive because it wasn't far off from the scoring rate of players like Drexler once adjusted for pace - his scoring per 100 possessions actually hovered around 30 points for most of his prime, Drexler peaked slightly higher but on significantly lower efficiency. And this isn't even accounting for Reggie's playoff improvement that holds true for his entire career: he peaked at 35-37 points per 100 in his '94 and '95 conference final runs, Drexler peaked at 33 in '92 on much lower efficiency. Miller wasn't Jordan, but he was one of the best non-Jordan SGs in that era and played forever.

Award voters had no idea of who he was, his contemporaries (Isiah Thomas and other former players on the show Open Court have spoken about him being a franchise player for Indiana who was underrated) did - he should've been an All-NBA mainstay, but was consistently snubbed by the media because they only looked at his raw slash line and FG%, much like what you're doing now.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2020, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Kemp went sooner than I thought.

Improves my chances of getting a guy I want and the end of round 3.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #521 on: December 01, 2020, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Hyperbole much? Miller was a feisty man defender who admittedly was a mixed bag as a team defender, but this is hardly worse than say Drexler on that end of the floor. He wasn't a good passer or ballhandler, but his passing was good enough to find openings in opposing defences and his off-ball creation made up for his limitations a bit in that regard: his shooting gravity would pull away extra defenders and create openings for his teammates. His "23 ppg" is impressive because it wasn't far off from the scoring rate of players like Drexler once adjusted for pace - his scoring per 100 possessions actually hovered around 30 points for most of his prime, Drexler peaked slightly higher but on significantly lower efficiency. And this isn't even accounting for Reggie's playoff improvement that holds true for his entire career: he peaked at 35-37 points per 100 in his '94 and '95 conference final runs, Drexler peaked at 33 in '92 on much lower efficiency. Miller wasn't Jordan, but he was one of the best non-Jordan SGs in that era and played forever.

Award voters had no idea of who he was, his contemporaries (Isiah Thomas and other former players on the show Open Court have spoken about him being a franchise player for Indiana who was underrated) did - he should've been an All-NBA mainstay, but was consistently snubbed by the media because they only looked at his raw slash line and FG%, much like what you're doing now.
not what I'm doing.  I watched his games pretty consistently when he was playing.  He was definitely a big moment player, but he wasn't nearly as good as you make him out to be.  He was a bad defender. He tried, but he wasn't any good.  He was an awful rebounder and a poor passer.  He didn't handle the ball well at all.  He was an elite shooter from everywhere on the floor, but that is about it.  What makes guys like Clyde better players is he was a much better all around player.  Clyde rebounded quite well, was a pretty good passer, etc.  He wasn't just a scorer/shooter and that is all Miller was.  I mean Clyde had several seasons where his rpg, apg, spg, and bpg eclipsed Reggie's career best per 100 possessions.  Reggie was the ultimate catch and shoot player and is a great fit next to Giannis but he was no where near the player of guys like Clyde.

« Reply #522 on: December 01, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Tossing back and forth between a few guys for my next pick. Two guards (one PG one SG) and two centers.

Leaning towards the PG right now. I did not expect the PG to be available. I had him going early 2nd.

Good to have a day to think it over.

« Reply #523 on: December 01, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Tossing back and forth between a few guys for my next pick. Two guards (one PG one SG) and two centers.

Leaning towards the PG right now. I did not expect the PG to be available. I had him going early 2nd.

Good to have a day to think it over.

I think I have an idea of which point guard you’re talking about. Also shocked he hasn’t been picked.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #524 on: December 01, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I got a bit down on Clyde Drexler over the last year or two. I am glad I got to watch some of his games again over the last year because you forget ... over time you just forget things. Your memory gets a bit hazy. It's there but it's not as clear as it once was. It's great to watch a game and then have things come back to you. Remember things about a player that you had lost of sight of.

I am glad that happened because I didn't appreciate him enough in the last Historical Draft and I overlooked him because of it. I am glad I have that appreciation back.

Drexler was awesome. Strong versatile scorer who was terrifying on the fastbreak. Good ball-handler and a terrific passer who created many opportunities for teammates. Maybe the best rebounding SG of all time. Above average man D and team D defender. The type of guy you can plug and play in any type of environment (system or teammates) and he can do his thing.

So much fun to watch too. I had forgotten how much fun he was.