Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156852 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #480 on: December 01, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Artis was in my top 10.

Of the top 10 actually taken, 9 were in my top 10 and the other guy (Stockton) was #11.

To get Artis as a mid 2nd rounder is a big get.

« Reply #481 on: December 01, 2020, 11:21:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Found it quite tricky to decide upon who I was going to go with this pick. Ended up choosing the more old school guy.

With its second round pick, the Memphis Grizzlies select...

Artis Gilmore!
I like it! Underappreciated great big man.
He's one of the few remaining guys who can defensively hang with some of the offensive maestro big men already selected, while having a good offensive game of his own. I like that as he got older in the early 80s he was shooting 65% and above from the field while being a great rim protector.

Yeah but you gotta go young Artis because old Artis is far too slow for today's game (pace and space, 3s galore). He would be a turnstile on D. Young Artis would be similar to Gobert on D. He would have that mobility and quickness to cover ground well enough to allow his size and smarts to the rest.
Young Artis is ineligible for this draft, I alluded to it in my Gobert post.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #482 on: December 01, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Found it quite tricky to decide upon who I was going to go with this pick. Ended up choosing the more old school guy.

Artis Gilmore!
He's one of the few remaining guys who can defensively hang with some of the offensive maestro big men already selected, while having a good offensive game of his own. I like that as he got older in the early 80s he was shooting 65% and above from the field while being a great rim protector.

Yeah but you gotta go young Artis because old Artis is far too slow for today's game (pace and space, 3s galore). He would be a turnstile on D. Young Artis would be similar to Gobert on D. He would have that mobility and quickness to cover ground well enough to allow his size and smarts to the rest.
That's a good point, he did slow down noticeably after 79-80. Despite not being 'young' I think in his late 20s he still had that athleticism, with a greater knowledge of the game. Haven't settled on a season yet. Given how he transitioned to such efficiency I think he could do it as a young guy. I'll have to settle for more human levels of efficiency ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #483 on: December 01, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Artis Gilmore!

Great pick. I was starting to hope Artis would fall to me. I was surprised he lasted this long. Artis was the center I was talking about who has an argument vs Moses Malone as the best center in this league.

I like Artis' ability to impact the game with lesser touches vs Moses need for more touches to have the same or greater impact (which are taken away from teammates).
Yeah, I think Artis is routinely underrated. For me he's a top 10 centre of all time.

Your second point is something that was huge in my considerations. A low-usage guy who plays great defence and will gobble up points in the paint alongside Kobe seemed perfect for me.
Yeah his longevity was amazing. Rigor Artis is still a great fit next to Kobe - strong defensive centre who has a bit of range/passing and knows his role on offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #484 on: December 01, 2020, 11:24:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Artis Gilmore!

That's a good point, he did slow down noticeably after 79-80. Despite not being 'young' I think in his late 20s he still had that athleticism, with a greater knowledge of the game. Haven't settled on a season yet. Given how he transitioned to such efficiency I think he could do it as a young guy. I'll have to settle for more human levels of efficiency ;)
Artis' years in the ABA can't be selected no? He was still really good in '78ish though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #485 on: December 01, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Just to expand or say it differently:

(1) If I were building a team in the regular NBA, I would take Moses over Artis because of Moses' mental advantage in terms of aggressiveness / assertiveness / dominating his opponent / making full use of his talent to destroy his opponent vs Artis more passive laissez-fair style of play.

I mean Artis has the skill and physical talent to be a 30ppg scorer in the NBA. He just didn't have the mentality. Moses Malone did. He was a killer out there. If you are building a regular NBA team, you want the killer. It is too hard to have a team loaded enough (in talent) to where Artis can add more than Moses can.

(2) However, in a league of All-Star teams that are loaded with scorers, I reckon Artis has a strong case as the better player vs Moses because of Artis superior ability to influence games in non-scoring ways.

« Reply #486 on: December 01, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This was a close call, but with my pick, I'm going to chose the leading scorer of the 1980's. Dude was an absolute maestro scoring the ball.

Alex English
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #487 on: December 01, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Artis Gilmore!

Artis' years in the ABA can't be selected no? He was still really good in '78ish though.
Yeah, ABA years are ineligible. I'm just referring to his pre-knee injury days as young, or relatively. His athleticism was significantly hampered after that and he just camped in the key. Worked for him!

Plus, a guy who doesn't really like the limelight? Perfect Kobe running-mate :P

« Reply #488 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Artis was plenty athletic his first two years in Chicago. No issues there. By the end of his Bulls reign, he had already slowed down a lot. Even before San Antonio.

But first two years, no issue. That Artis is as athletic as Gobert.

« Reply #489 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
English is a cool pick. Walking bucket for many seasons, good passer too, and was basically always healthy

« Reply #490 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
The reason I didn't go Artis, is I really felt his best seasons were in the ABA and I couldn't use any of them.  He was still a great player in the NBA, but not quite the same level and he was no where near the same player after he got hurt in the 80 season, so I felt you could really only justify taking him if you thought one of his first 3 seasons in Chicago were worth using.  And they are fine seasons, but I just liked Tiny a bit better. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #491 on: December 01, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Artis Gilmore!

Yeah, ABA years are ineligible. I'm just referring to his pre-knee injury days as young, or relatively. His athleticism was significantly hampered after that and he just camped in the key. Worked for him!

Plus, a guy who doesn't really like the limelight? Perfect Kobe running-mate :P
Ha I haven't thought about your last point, they're a perfect fit :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #492 on: December 01, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
The reason I didn't go Artis, is I really felt his best seasons were in the ABA and I couldn't use any of them.  He was still a great player in the NBA, but not quite the same level and he was no where near the same player after he got hurt in the 80 season, so I felt you could really only justify taking him if you thought one of his first 3 seasons in Chicago were worth using.  And they are fine seasons, but I just liked Tiny a bit better.
That is perfectly fair - there are still still a few great defensive centres left in this draft to pair with Malone.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #493 on: December 01, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Plus, a Tiny & Karl PnR is nigh on impossible to defend really. So much speed, power and skill

« Reply #494 on: December 01, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With the 9th pick in Round 2 of the 2021 Historical Draft the Phoenix Suns select:

REGGIE MILLER