Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156988 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I have a trade to announce. The Houston Rockets will be trading Kawhi Leonard, #35 and #115 for Jimmy Butler, #28 and #33.
Not getting this from Houston. Kawhi is the much better player and much better lead dog for one of these teams. Usually team getting the best player wins.
Yeah, you're dropping down a tier or even two tiers in trading Kawhi for Butler, so he really has to nail these picks for this to pay off.
I wonder which variant of Butler will be chosen. Obviously depends on the other guys picked, but Chicago Jimmy vs Miami Jimmy are worlds apart
Definitely Miami Jimmy, I feel that Butler made some qualitative improvements to his game after leaving Chicago and put it all together this season on a really good team. Definitely rate his 2020 campaign really highly - he was really good in both box and non-box metrics and the overall team results were great when you take context into account (a certain guard wasn't what he'd become in the playoffs and missed some games due to injury while the Heat made some trades at the trade deadline to upgrade their squad). Game looks good in this format as well - very good decision maker who is a strong wing passer (especially interior passes, Gobert is going to love his laydowns), can move well off the ball and draws a ton of fouls to buoy his scoring against even the toughest of defences, eg. the Lakers this playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
With its 2nd pick, the Toronto Raptors will select the only player to lead the league in points and assists (both totals and per game) in the same season, Tiny Archibald.

We will select that 73 season with 34 ppg and 11.4 apg when he also led the league with 46 mpg.  He finished 3rd in MVP voting that season
Nice. Not many have ever put up as wildly productive a season as Tiny did in 73
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
With its 2nd pick, the Toronto Raptors will select the only player to lead the league in points and assists (both totals and per game) in the same season, Tiny Archibald.

We will select that 73 season with 34 ppg and 11.4 apg when he also led the league with 46 mpg.  He finished 3rd in MVP voting that season

Great pick.

I didnt think he would make it to me on my next pick, but gotta love Tiny.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'mma cry if gouki takes my guy  ;D
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Also makes a lot of sense. The Malone boys need the right PG to feed them and Tiny can feed Karl all day.

« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Solid pick. His '73 season was a pretty amazing floor raising effort for a small guard at the time, he turned a pretty bad team into a strong offensive squad with his on-ball work.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Found it quite tricky to decide upon who I was going to go with this pick. Ended up choosing the more old school guy.

With its second round pick, the Memphis Grizzlies select...

Artis Gilmore!

« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Yeah.  I was really debating if I wanted a PG this early as there are still some excellent wings, but I figured there was more depth at wing and Tiny was pretty clearly the best PG left on the board, so I went that route.

My real decision is what way to go now since I have two elite level offensive players that were ok to good defensively, but certainly not elite defensive players.  So do I go defensive oriented the next couple of picks, or just go for more elite scorers and just try to outscore everyone.  I finished 2nd last time I did one of these employing the outscore strategy (though Magic, Moses, Barkley certainly makes that easier).  Decisions, though probably one I won't make until I see who is actually on the board when I pick next. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Found it quite tricky to decide upon who I was going to go with this pick. Ended up choosing the more old school guy.

Artis Gilmore!
I like it! Underappreciated great big man.

« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I love it. Great pick. Tiny would be awesome in today's rules with the no hand-checking. Impossible to stay in front of. He'd be devastating.

Lightening fast with the ball.

« Reply #475 on: December 01, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
I'll pick in a second. Still stuck between two wings.

« Reply #476 on: December 01, 2020, 11:15:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Artis Gilmore!
He's one of the few remaining guys who can defensively hang with some of the offensive maestro big men already selected, while having a good offensive game of his own. I like that as he got older in the early 80s he was shooting 65% and above from the field while being a great rim protector.

« Reply #477 on: December 01, 2020, 11:16:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Artis Gilmore!

Great pick. I was starting to hope Artis would fall to me. I was surprised he lasted this long. Artis was the center I was talking about who has an argument vs Moses Malone as the best center in this league.

I like Artis' ability to impact the game with lesser touches vs Moses need for more touches to have the same or greater impact (which are taken away from teammates).

« Reply #478 on: December 01, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Artis Gilmore!
He's one of the few remaining guys who can defensively hang with some of the offensive maestro big men already selected, while having a good offensive game of his own. I like that as he got older in the early 80s he was shooting 65% and above from the field while being a great rim protector.

Yeah but you gotta go young Artis because old Artis is far too slow for today's game (pace and space, 3s galore). He would be a turnstile on D. Young Artis would be similar to Gobert on D. He would have that mobility and quickness to cover ground well enough to allow his size and smarts to the rest.

« Reply #479 on: December 01, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Artis Gilmore!

Great pick. I was starting to hope Artis would fall to me. I was surprised he lasted this long. Artis was the center I was talking about who has an argument vs Moses Malone as the best center in this league.

I like Artis' ability to impact the game with lesser touches vs Moses need for more touches to have the same or greater impact (which are taken away from teammates).
Yeah, I think Artis is routinely underrated. For me he's a top 10 centre of all time.

Your second point is something that was huge in my considerations. A low-usage guy who plays great defence and will gobble up points in the paint alongside Kobe seemed perfect for me.