Author Topic: Celtics interested in Gobert?  (Read 6471 times)

Re: Celtics interested in Gobert?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 02:45:47 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Hayward to Philly

Horford, #14 to Utah

Gobert to Boston.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
To all you guys advocating that swapping Hayward for Gobert would be a realistic option

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that:

• We trade Hayward + #14 + #26 for Gobert + Niang (salary filler on expiring contract).
  • The cap plateaus at $109,140,000 for 2 seasons, due to the impending recession.
  • Tatum and Gobert re-sign with the C's in 2021 for the 30% max.
  • Next year's pick ends up at #26 (just like this year).
  • We let Theis walk in 2021.
  • We fill the remaining roster spots with rookie minimum contracts (best case scenario regarding the tax situation).

payroll for 2021/22:

1. Kemba $36,016,200
2. Gobert $32,742,000 (=30% of the cap)
3. Tatum $32,742,000 (=30% of the cap)
4. Brown $25,794,643
5. Smart $13,839,285
6. Langford $3,804,360
7. R. Williams $3,661,976
8. G. Williams $2,617,800
9. Celtics 2021 pick $2,331,600
10. Bucks pick $2,142,240
11. Edwards $1,782,621
12. rookie minimum $1,028,851
13. rookie minimum $1,028,851
14. rookie minimum $1,028,851
15. rookie minimum $1,028,851

dead cap
Yabu $1,039,080
Jackson $92,857

total: $162,722,066

Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000

The Celtics would be $30,095,066 over the tax line!

For a non-repeater, the tax breaks down like this:

150% for amounts up to $5 million over the threshold
175% from $5-10 million.
250% from $10-15 million.
325% from $15-20 million.
375% from $20-25 million.
425% from $25-30 million.
475% from $30-35 million.
and so on

$7,500,000 + $8,750,000 + $12,500,000 + $16,250,000 + $18,750,000 + $21,250,000 + $451,563.5 = $85,451,563.5 in luxury tax!

Fwiw, the biggest amount ever paid in luxury tax is $61.6 million (by the Thunder in 2018/19).

tl;dr
In this scenario, the Celtics would have to pay ~$85 million in luxury tax!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:15:23 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Great point,

Maybe a Gobert signing means Kemba doesn't play out his contract and is traded?

Ultimately a mute point because I cant see DA trading for Gobert.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Hayward to Philly

Horford, #14 to Utah

Gobert to Boston.

We would be benefitting Philly two ways, by giving Philly the best player in this deal and by helping them get out from under Horford's contract.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 04:02:41 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Gobert would help Tatum and Brown game...having a big in the middle would help lesson the load for these 2
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 04:06:45 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I think you should pay Gobert max money, and change up the offensive philosophy with this team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The Celtics top priority this offseason should be to acquire a legitimate big man. Gobert definitely fits that description. However, we have to take into account that there is only one year remaining on his deal. By trading for him, we would be able to offer him more money than any other team. Then again, that luxury didn’t matter to Kyrie or Horford. The other issue, is whether he is a max player, which is the contract he’s looking for. I’m not sure he’s a max guy, so I would offer him something similar to Jaylen Brown’s contract.

Worst case scenario, we only have Gobert for one season. If your Boston, would they have resigned Hayward (assuming he opts in this offseason)? If Hayward does opt in, I assume he gets traded to acquire Gobert. If Boston only has Gobert or Hayward for one more season, I see it as trading that max slot for extending Tatum to a max deal in ’21-‘22.

I would take the chance and trade for Gobert, as I think the Celtics would then have a legitimate chance to win the title. Then again, I would be willing to spend more capital if it meant trading for Embiid, who is the player that I think would make the biggest impact (and who is signed through ’22-’23 season).

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 06:28:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Crazy Idea...

Celtics get: Bertans, Gobert
Pacers get: Hayward, Ingles
Wizards get: Kanter, Oladipo, Rob Williams, Langford, Poirier, Jazz 1st
Jazz get: Beal, Turner

Jazz retool around Mitchell with another great scorer and a big man who can defend the rim and spread the floor.

Wizards get several young prospects, a Jazz 1st, and the opportunity to give Oladipo a max contract and build around him and Wall.

Pacers get Hayward and Ingles, which are two intelligent players to pair with Sabonis, Brogdon, and Warren for a very solid, intelligent, and versatile team on good contracts.

Celtics get a star big man to pair with their young core and a lights-out shooter. The Cs then trade up to pick Killian Hayes (or insert your favorite prospect here) and still can probably stay under the luxury tax this year. Next year gets complicated, but a core of Tatum-Brown-Walker-Smart-Gobert with Bertans-Theis-GWilliams-Wanamaker-Hayes off the bench is pretty good.

(This deal is predicated on the idea that Hayward and Kanter opt-in and Bertans agrees to a sign-and-trade.)

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Great point,

Maybe a Gobert signing means Kemba doesn't play out his contract and is traded?

Ultimately a mute  moot point because I cant see DA trading for Gobert.
people can still hear you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 10:59:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Just to propose a different trade (it works on realgm's trade checker - though a drastically different cap and it might not)

Smart, Theis, Poirier, G. Williams

for

Gobert

Post Trade
Starters - Walker, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Gobert
Rotation - Langford, Kanter, R. Williams, Wanamaker, Ojeleye, 14
Deep Bench - 26, 30, Edwards, Fall, Waters, Green (4 of on active, maybe a Euro stash or a couple of 2-way to keep all)

That team seems better than the one the C's would otherwise trot out.  Lots of money (which I think is the only real downside to doing this as opposed to trading Hayward), but I like the look and feel of that roster better.  I just think it is more likely to win the title than the one with Smart instead of Hayward, and that should be the goal if you are bringing in someone like Gobert.  And because it is a 4 for 1, the team can actually fit the draft picks onto the roster adding an influx of cheap talent and increasing the chances someone actually hits.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Just to propose a different trade (it works on realgm's trade checker - though a drastically different cap and it might not)

for

Gobert

Post Trade
Deep Bench - 26, 30, Edwards, Fall, Waters, Green (4 of on active, maybe a Euro stash or a couple of 2-way to keep all)

That team seems better than the one the C's would otherwise trot out.  Lots of money (which I think is the only real downside to doing this as opposed to trading Hayward), but I like the look and feel of that roster better.  I just think it is more likely to win the title than the one with Smart instead of Hayward, and that should be the goal if you are bringing in someone like Gobert.  And because it is a 4 for 1, the team can actually fit the draft picks onto the roster adding an influx of cheap talent and increasing the chances someone actually hits.
that's not an unreasonable deal.  would think a future pick has to come from Utah to balance it out talent wise.  C's giving up a DPOY candidate that can play point, a solid center capable of starting and a very good propect in GWill who's shown to be rotation ready.

if we were able to sub Semi for Gwill in the deal I'd be even more for it.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 11:11:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

for

Gobert

Post Trade

If Utah would do that, Danny / Wyc should sign off on it in a second.  I’d try to keep Theis and/or Williams over draft picks, but even as is its a steal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 11:33:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

for

Gobert

Post Trade

that's not an unreasonable deal.  would think a future pick has to come from Utah to balance it out talent wise.  C's giving up a DPOY candidate that can play point, a solid center capable of starting and a very good propect in GWill who's shown to be rotation ready.

if we were able to sub Semi for Gwill in the deal I'd be even more for it.
If anything Boston would have to send a pick.  Gobert is BY FAR the best player in that trade.  I think he might be available though because he really turned off his teammates with that whole covid thing and I don't think he is going to stay, even if they wanted him to, after the season.  I also don't think they want Hayward at all so you'd have to find a 3rd team and the reality is Hayward doesn't have much value around the league (Indiana may be the only place that really values him).  Plus Ingles and Bojan are pretty solid SF's and I'm not really sure Hayward fits from that perspective.  I think Smart would fit well there as the swiss army knife off the bench (or when Conley invariably misses time).  Theis and Williams are nice players that can help overcome the value difference between Smart and Gobert and I'm sure the Jazz would just cut Poirier who has to be included for salary purposes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

for

Gobert

Post Trade

In a heart beat.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 12:00:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Only way I see the Celtics making a play for Gobert is with a 3 team trade that sends Hayward to a team he is willing to sign with long term.

Maybe something like

Celtics get Gobert (Cs could also take Davis if Jazz want to dump salary)

Pavers get Hayward

Jazz get Turner, Lamb, #14, #26 and #30 (Cs could also include Langford)

Ultimately like everything else I'm sure DA calls and asks about Goberts asking price in the hopes of finding a deal and thats all. I predict nothing happens involving the Cs and a major trade.

I do think Gobert makes a ton of sense for ATL. If they really want to push for the playoffs then make this deal.

ATL gets Gobert

Jazz get Capela and #6

The Jazz can then trade Hayes or Okoro at #6 and maybe explore bringing Favors back as a FA

ATL-Jazz trade makes a lot of sense.  Celtics trade seems like overpay by Celtics IMO, especially including Langford.
is Gobert that good?  I wouldn't give Capela and Halliburton, Capela and Hayes, or Capela and Okongwu for Gobert I don't think....
Gobert is definitely that good. He's a modern defensive giant with neutral offence that translates to typical top 10-15 impact. There might be some concerns about his defensive value holding strong in the playoffs due to how the league has shifted towards relentlessly exploiting teams' weaknesses, but Gobert should be fine with perimeter defenders like Smart, Brown and Tatum around him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA