Author Topic: Would you do a Joe Barry Carroll like trade and for who?  (Read 4838 times)

Would you do a Joe Barry Carroll like trade and for who?
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
To rehash the Joe Barry Carroll trade in 1980 we traded the number 1 overall pick along with the 13th overall pick for the rights of the 3rd pick overall which was Kevin McHale and 4 year veteran Robert Parish who came into his own as a Celtic. 

So play along with me.  The lottery balls bounce our way, and we are lucky enough to get the number overall pick, and the ATL/BKN pick should fall somewhere in the teens. 

Joel Embiid is looking more and more as the consensus number 1 pick by experts, however I'm not sold yet he is the next Olajuwon.  He could turn out to be a Carroll level player which is not bad at all, as he averaged 17.7 PPG and 7.7 RPG for his career.

However the thought of locking down 2 positions for the future is enticing if we traded down for one of Parker, Wiggins, or Exum, and getting a youngish center Cousins, Kanter, Noel, Sanders, or Vucevic that could come into his own as a Celtic.

Would you consider this type of trade, and for who (I listed only centers that are with teams that should have a top draft pick)?     

Re: Would you do a Joe Barry Carroll like trade and for who?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Depends.  Are we talking 1 and 14 for 4 and said player?  In that case, I'm not sure it makes sense since I would imagine Exum or Smart would be the likely 4 pick and the team already has Rondo.  Now if it was 1 and 14 for 3 and said center, I think it makes a lot more sense since Boston would get Wiggins or Parker at 3 along with Embiid, though in that situation I don't think the team trading would do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
Depends.  Are we talking 1 and 14 for 4 and said player?  In that case, I'm not sure it makes sense since I would imagine Exum or Smart would be the likely 4 pick and the team already has Rondo.  Now if it was 1 and 14 for 3 and said center, I think it makes a lot more sense since Boston would get Wiggins or Parker at 3 along with Embiid, though in that situation I don't think the team trading would do it.

I would the 3rd pick of the draft and said player.  I think along the lines of you if Eiggins or Parker were available I would do it.  If it's the 4th pick, and it's only Exum I'm not so sure not because of talent but fit on our team.

Of course it also depends who that said player is.  If it's Cousins I'm inclined to say yes. If Sanders not sure cause of attitude, Kanter and Vuvecic I'm on the fence, and Noel maybe too much of an unknown.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cousins is unrealistic, unfortunately.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd consider it if it was Cousins or maybe Drummond.  Sanders, Kanter, Favors, Vucevic or Noel I'm not sold on. 

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Who could fit the role of Robert Parish and be a player seen as lazy and underachieving, whose lack of palpable passion is wrongly interpreted as indifference, but who would flourish in Boston?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Who could fit the role of Robert Parish and be a player seen as lazy and underachieving, whose lack of palpable passion is wrongly interpreted as indifference, but who would flourish in Boston?

Up until this year, maybe Aldridge?

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
I was just checking Noel's college  stats.  Scoring about the same as Embiid, rebounded better, and 4.4 BPG and 2.2 SPG.   That last part is very impressive.  Maybe buy somewhat low on him coming back from a big injury.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Fun idea.  I was born in 1982 so I don't have a memory of that time-period.

What I've read is that Parish was very underwhelming in Golden State and it wasn't until he came to Boston that he flourished.  But looking at his first 4 years in Golden State seems to suggest he was a fine player by year 4. 26 years old:  17 points,  11 rebounds, 1.6 blocks.

It would certainly be like trading for 22 year old Favors (15 points, 11 rebounds, 1.6 blocks this season) + the #3 pick that we'd use to take Wiggins or Parker.

Edit:  Actually in Parish's 3rd year in Golden State he was even better.  25 years old, 17 points, 12 rebounds, 2.9 blocks, 1.5 steals... not sure why history claims he was a bum until arriving in Boston.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

What I've read is that Parish was very underwhelming in Golden State and it wasn't until he came to Boston that he flourished.  But looking at his first 4 years in Golden State seems to suggest he was a fine player by year 4. 26 years old:  17 points,  11 rebounds, 1.6 blocks.

It would certainly be like trading for 22 year old Favors (15 points, 11 rebounds, 1.6 blocks this season) + the #3 pick that we'd use to take Wiggins or Parker.

Edit:  Actually in Parish's 3rd year in Golden State he was even better.  25 years old, 17 points, 12 rebounds, 2.9 blocks, 1.5 steals... not sure why history claims he was a bum until arriving in Boston.

Those aren't Favors' per game numbers.  They are his Per36 numbers.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

From what I have read, Parish was coming up on restricted free agency and the team didn't want to pay him the sort of contract he could command (and perhaps couldn't).  He was perceived as a lazy underachiever who would never become the top center that he had the talent to be.  Fans hated his body language and demeanor.  Basically, he seen in the same way that a lot of people look at Jeff Green.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

From what I have read, Parish was coming up on restricted free agency and the team didn't want to pay him the sort of contract he could command (and perhaps couldn't).  He was perceived as a lazy underachiever who would never become the top center that he had the talent to be.  Fans hated his body language and demeanor.  Basically, he seen in the same way that a lot of people look at Jeff Green.
I guess so... except Jeff Green has nowhere near the type of production that Parish had at age 25 and 26.

I'm going to stick with Favors as a modern representation.  Not as productive as parish was in golden state, but significantly younger and a different era.

If you could get Favors and the #3 for the #1 pick, it would be a modern day heist on the level of the Joe Barry Carroll trade.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Cousins is unrealistic, unfortunately.

Under other circumstances I'd agree, but Cousins is set to make big money after this year and it wouldn't be out of the question for Sacramento to bank on Embiid and his rookie scale contract instead.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
#1 overall to Minnesota for Love & their #1 pick (could be anywhere in the lottery).  Regardless of how many scouts, gm's fall in love with Embiid, Parker, or Wiggins...none of them are guaranteed, & none of them scream game changer like Lebron & Durant did.

For me, players like Kevin Love aren't available all that often.  He's a flat out given double double night in and night out. A legit 20/13 man.  Can't miss by adding him.

I use the Minnesota pick to take the best player available, doesn't matter the position.  Maybe a Gary Harris, etc.  I try and spin a Sullinger package for Marc Gasol.  Gasol's value is slowly decreasing as he hasn't looked every bit as good as 2012-2013...I get in while the value is a good bargain for the C's as I believe Gasol turns his game around.

Rondo
Harris
Green/Wallace
Love
Gasol