Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 222674 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (12-27, 4th Slot on 1/7)
« Reply #1260 on: January 10, 2018, 12:48:47 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Another W for the Lakers.

Darn.

« Reply #1261 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Kings gave this game away...pretty big blow to the pick hopes, Lakers are tied with them rn.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1262 on: January 10, 2018, 12:52:01 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Well, everyone got another glimpse of what next year could be like if #LakersPick doesn't convey...  :laugh:

« Reply #1263 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Well, everyone got another glimpse of what next year could be like if #LakersPick doesn't convey...  :laugh:
19 draft is depleted of talent due to guys like Bagley jumping to the 18 draft. That Kings pick is a lot worse than what it looks like.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1264 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
19 draft is depleted of talent due to guys like Bagley jumping to the 18 draft. That Kings pick is a lot worse than what it looks like.

This is not really true.  Bagley jumping a year meant RJ Barrett jumped from 2020 to 2019, so there wasn’t a net loss.

« Reply #1265 on: January 10, 2018, 01:05:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
they only jumped or stayed tied to 4 slot (or 5)?
http://www.tankathon.com/

i thought they were gonna jump to 7 or 9. it seems we are getting late into the season where those big slot jumps overnight arent happening anymore. this bodes well for the pick. 4 slot is still a nice chance of conveying.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:36:38 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #1266 on: January 10, 2018, 01:38:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

This is not really true.  Bagley jumping a year meant RJ Barrett jumped from 2020 to 2019, so there wasn’t a net loss.
True but we do need a young big rather than another wing/guard.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1267 on: January 10, 2018, 02:06:48 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

as much as I agree, Ainge tends to draft best player available regardless of need. See- us drafting millions of guards past few years when we need rebounding and rim protection. Didn't Ainge already publically comment saying he's not particularly interested in a project big that will take years to be a core piece? I believe he was referring to this upcoming draft too. Got a feeling he's looking at doncic/porter/young or swinging the pick down for a more ready prospect in someone like jackson jr/carter/bridges. That or its a typical smoke screen
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:13:25 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #1268 on: January 10, 2018, 03:43:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

as much as I agree, Ainge tends to draft best player available regardless of need. See- us drafting millions of guards past few years when we need rebounding and rim protection. Didn't Ainge already publically comment saying he's not particularly interested in a project big that will take years to be a core piece? I believe he was referring to this upcoming draft too. Got a feeling he's looking at doncic/porter/young or swinging the pick down for a more ready prospect in someone like jackson jr/carter/bridges. That or its a typical smoke screen
He was talking about selecting real project bigs though, I don't think any of the top bigs in this draft are that much of a project, they'd probably at least soak up some rotation minutes at C from the get go.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1269 on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He was talking about selecting real project bigs though, I don't think any of the top bigs in this draft are that much of a project, they'd probably at least soak up some rotation minutes at C from the get go.

No, when discussing the Nets pick, he said that Cleveland would probably get a talented young big who will take a couple of years.  Now, there’s always some Ainge smokescreen to look around, and that comment was made in the preseason so it’s not impossible that they see a big as ready to immediately contribute based on what they’ve shown this year in college (although that player is going #1 anyway), but when he was talking about project bigs and not being completely excited, it was definitely with regard to the 2018 draft.

Besides, the point is that Barrett makes the overall draft class as deep as it was with Bagley.  Bagley was likely going #1 in 2019 — we were never getting him.  Barrett is the current favorite to go #1 — we won’t get him either.  It just means that we have the same pool of players from #2 and below as we had before, so the class, insofar as who we could potentially draft, hasn’t been weakened at all.

« Reply #1270 on: January 10, 2018, 08:50:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

No, when discussing the Nets pick, he said that Cleveland would probably get a talented young big who will take a couple of years.  Now, there’s always some Ainge smokescreen to look around, and that comment was made in the preseason so at not impossible that they see a big as ready to immediately contribute based on what they’ve shown this year in college (although that player is going #1 anyway), but when he was talking about project bigs and not being completely excited, it was definitely with regard to the 2018 draft.

Besides, the point is that Barrett makes the overall draft class as deep as it was with Bagley.  Bagley was likely going #1 in 2019 — we were never getting him.  Barrett is the current favorite to go #1 — we won’t get him either.  It just means that we have the same pool of players from #2 and below as we had before, so the class, insofar as who we could potentially draft, hasn’t been weakened at all.
Iirc they projected the Nets pick to be like around 7 so isn't it possible for him to not be referring to Ayton/Bagley/Bamba? Also I think Ainge might be blowing a smokescreen ala Red Auerbach doing it when he drafted McHale :laugh:. I see your point regarding the 19 class, but eh would rather get a top prospect sooner than later, especially with this class being said to be that top heavy while not looking like the 14 draft.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1271 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

No, when discussing the Nets pick, he said that Cleveland would probably get a talented young big who will take a couple of years.  Now, there’s always some Ainge smokescreen to look around, and that comment was made in the preseason so at not impossible that they see a big as ready to immediately contribute based on what they’ve shown this year in college (although that player is going #1 anyway), but when he was talking about project bigs and not being completely excited, it was definitely with regard to the 2018 draft.

Iirc they projected the Nets pick to be like around 7 so isn't it possible for him to not be referring to Ayton/Bagley/Bamba? Also I think Ainge might be blowing a smokescreen ala Red Auerbach doing it when he drafted McHale :laugh:.

No, they never said anything about where they thought the pick would be, publicly, other than it could be a really good pick.  You do not recall correctly.

And again, none of this changes that the 2019 pick didn’t get any weaker for the Celtics, which was your original assertion.

« Reply #1272 on: January 10, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Iirc they projected the Nets pick to be like around 7 so isn't it possible for him to not be referring to Ayton/Bagley/Bamba? Also I think Ainge might be blowing a smokescreen ala Red Auerbach doing it when he drafted McHale :laugh:.

No, they never said anything about where they thought the pick would be, publicly, other than it could be a really good pick.  You do not recall correctly.

And again, none of this changes that the 2019 pick didn’t get any weaker for the Celtics, which was your original assertion.
Alright sure, I might have remembered wrongly then. About my original point yeah I see.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1273 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ainge didn't have to say publically, but the fact that he kept the Lakers pick and not the Nets pick (and left it totally unprotected), let you know what he thought of those respective picks.  I firmly believe Ainge felt the Nets were going to be better than the Lakers, which is why he traded the Nets pick and not the Lakers pick (because I think Cleveland would have taken either). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1274 on: January 10, 2018, 11:35:11 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
There were rumors the Celtics valued the pick from Philly more highly than the Nets' pick, but that hasn't been confirmed officially.

Dan Gilbert had a particular interest in the Nets' pick per Jackie Mac, but we're not sure if that's because the Celtics dangled it in front of him or if he valued that pick more highly on his own.