Author Topic: Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.  (Read 8900 times)

Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.
« on: June 03, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Re: Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:57:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Think this will temporarily really alienate him to his teammates. He clearly doesn’t understand the situation entirely (who’d have thought), but I also think he’s certainly not a bad person. Has constantly worked in under-developed areas and whatnot.

However, his statement shows he really didn’t read the room.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:06:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with Brees.  I also don’t think the workplace is the right place to protest.  Brees could have held his tongue to promote team harmony, but he has as much right to talk about the flag / anthem / country as his teammates do to promote their interests.

If players didn’t have a platform, I might feel differently.  But, every media and social media outlet in the country is open to players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 01:20:54 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Maybe Brees is racist or maybe he just doesn’t feel like he can add anything constructive to everyone’s opinion and was annoyed by the bait question anyway...
Saints fans are already calling him out to retire.
While I don’t have a party affiliation I can’t help but think that anyone that leans to the right (not even hard conservative right) should stick to individual sports or no sports in the future... this policing and baiting of people is getting out of control... should people pretend to be someone they are not just to save their careers ?
Also there are so many coaches and ex coaches out there that are so obviously hard conservatives or even trump supporters like Belichik or Ditka how can they keep being involved with that sport ?

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:25:45 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I agree with Brees. Kneeling during the national anthem is not the time or place to protest. It didn't work before, and I don't see it working when the season starts. Maybe the NFL players who disagree with Brees, didn't read the room when Kapearnick did it.

I think the players should incorporate what the NBA did after Kobe passed away. On the first play of each half, the team receiving the ball, should take a delay of game penalty, where every player on both teams takes a knee. It's even more effective this way because it's during a TV broadcast.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:41:40 AM by johnnygreen »

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:50:19 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Maybe Brees is racist or maybe he just doesn’t feel like he can add anything constructive to everyone’s opinion and was annoyed by the bait question anyway...
Saints fans are already calling him out to retire.
While I don’t have a party affiliation I can’t help but think that anyone that leans to the right (not even hard conservative right) should stick to individual sports or no sports in the future... this policing and baiting of people is getting out of control... should people pretend to be someone they are not just to save their careers ?
Also there are so many coaches and ex coaches out there that are so obviously hard conservatives or even trump supporters like Belichik or Ditka how can they keep being involved with that sport ?

Yeah I agree, from here on out It's gonna be hard for people to admit that you're a conservative or even right leaning without being called a fascist or a white supremist. Which is pretty funny considering many athletes are becoming more politically minded. It's sad considering that Brees wasn't being malicious (though he was clueless and tone deaf) but the self righteous beat down by social media and the cancelation is just ridiculous. 

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 02:12:10 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Damage is done. It's over. Cannot recover from this. Several of his teammates are vigorously upset at him- Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Thomas, Cam Jordan etc. He's either gonna have to call it quits, or be traded to another team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:20:05 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Damage is done. It's over. Cannot recover from this. Several of his teammates are vigorously upset at him- Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Thomas, Cam Jordan etc. He's either gonna have to call it quits, or be traded to another team.

I think he will, he'll patch things up with his teammates and move on.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 06:11:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Protest isn't always civil. Usually it gets wild because bringing attention is the key to starting awarness. So you do that being as visible and loud as possible that often is the definition of good protest. Protesting during the anthem is/was perfect because there are two United States and if don't understand that reality and how that symbolism worked then you are blind to the problem. If it upset you than great, absolutely great! You were supposed to be moved and you were supposed to ask why is he doing this. Of course if you don't care for the man's reason for protest I guess you can continue to complain about the protest but a man in this country deserves free speech (especially when it was peaceful).

If people don't want to take a knee that is fine. Some people don't want to make a happy and proud moment into a time to think of the negatives of our country. I understand that as well.

I clearly accept both. Protest and standing proud is important to the people and we should not impose our personal belief of which one they should do on these men.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I doubt that Brees is a racist and he [overall] seems like a good guy who cares about his community, but I agree that this was a super-bonehead moment on his part. One of the biggest problems in our country is we equate the American flag to the military; so when you kneel during the national anthem, it appears you are protesting the military. Many people - especially on the left and in the middle - just don't see it this way. While we respect our military members for their service, the flag means so much more. Kneeling during the national anthem as a protest shouldn't be seen as a protest against our military, but as a protest against something that is unjust in society.

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 08:07:27 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I thought this response from Wendell Pierce was excellent

Wendell Piece, a New Orleans native and accomplished actor both on screen and on stage, joined the cacophony of voices pushing back hard against Saints quarterback Drew Brees on Wednesday night.

Following Brees’ comments asserting he will never agree with anybody “disrespecting the flag” due to his grandfathers’ military service, Pierce directed a message to Brees via his Twitter account to relay his father’s differing experience of serving and returning home.

“To Drew Brees, my 95yr old father fought in WWII at Saipan risking his life for the United States of America, a country that had little respect for him,” Pierce wrote. “When he returned to New Orleans he was denied his right to vote, his right to live where he wanted & most of his civil rights. My father risked his life for the US Constitution that was written without even considering him a human being, until many Americans lost their lives to change it. To protect the 1st Amendment right to protest. Even then my father returned to New Orleans greeted by segregation.

“My father, who fought for your freedom Drew Brees had to navigate racial violence in New Orleans as civil rights protesters were beaten by many who stand for our flag as they sat at the Woolworth lunch counter… blocks from the Superdome. My father fought for the flag you respect, when that flag flew over New Orleans City Hall when a Christian preacher by the name of Rev. Avery Alexander was dragged down the steps of City Hall because n—— were not allowed in its segregated cafeteria. … A Christian like you. My father is a patriot that stood up and risked his life for the American flag so Americans can kneel down in protest when its raised. Are you saying he disrespects it? He loves this country that seldom loved him in his 95 years. That’s living the life of Christian forgiveness.

“My father returned home after fighting in WWII & started a family. As his youngest son, he taught me to love the country that America could be…. but had not become yet. He taught me to fight for that America of liberty and justice for all. Never lose the ability to be offended. My father fought in the Double V campaign, victory abroad & victory at home. We won victory over fascism abroad but we’re still fighting racism at home. Drew Brees my father cheers for you every Sunday, I hope you cheer for him as he takes a knee for the flag he nearly died for.”

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 08:21:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The thing that's always bothered me going back to the Kaep outrage is that the national anthem and the flag aren't just about honoring the military.  It honors everyone.  They're national symbols that hold different meanings to different people but also serve as unifying bonds.    At some point, it's been turned into this symbol of military/veterans and that kneeling is somehow disrespectful.   It shouldn't be. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 08:36:26 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I agree with Brees.  I also don’t think the workplace is the right place to protest.  Brees could have held his tongue to promote team harmony, but he has as much right to talk about the flag / anthem / country as his teammates do to promote their interests.

If players didn’t have a platform, I might feel differently.  But, every media and social media outlet in the country is open to players.

I  dont think we should we should we putting limits on the "correct" forum to protest. To me taking a knee before the game even starts, which  in no way actually effects your job performance, is an valid as any other form of protest. Protest is by its very nature an act designed to make people uncomfortable. I mean the NFL uses the workplace to make broader points all the time, whether its military displays or support the fight against breast cancer.

All that said Brees also has every right to say what he said, and I dont think he should by any means be out of the league for it or anything. It was tone deaf for the moment however and he'll have to deal with that fallout.

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 08:44:33 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
This is what happens when you come from a part of the culture that aggressively conflates military service with nationalism.

This reply was spot on:
https://twitter.com/FreeLB44/status/1268312322046451712