Author Topic: Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.  (Read 8783 times)

Re: Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I agree with Brees.  I also don’t think the workplace is the right place to protest.  Brees could have held his tongue to promote team harmony, but he has as much right to talk about the flag / anthem / country as his teammates do to promote their interests.

If players didn’t have a platform, I might feel differently.  But, every media and social media outlet in the country is open to players.

What do you agree with?

I assume you agree with the statement that he will "never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America".

The anger over his statement is with the civic ignorance he uses in how he has chosen to define "disrespecting the flag".

He also was giving an interview to Yahoo Finance for some reason. Why did you assume he made this comment in the "workplace"?

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I doubt that Brees is a racist and he [overall] seems like a good guy who cares about his community, but I agree that this was a super-bonehead moment on his part. One of the biggest problems in our country is we equate the American flag to the military; so when you kneel during the national anthem, it appears you are protesting the military. Many people - especially on the left and in the middle - just don't see it this way. While we respect our military members for their service, the flag means so much more. Kneeling during the national anthem as a protest shouldn't be seen as a protest against our military, but as a protest against something that is unjust in society.

I concur.   I don't think Brees is a 'bad guy' at all.  But I do think he is exhibiting a broken understanding here.  Taking a knee during the anthem is not a disrespect of either the flag or the military.  It is, in fact, using that moment of respect for the flag to bring attention to actions by others that are the real disrespect for what the flag represents (and those who have died to defend it).

The real 'disrespect' for the flag is by those who hide their racist activities by wrapping themselves in the flag.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He is entitled to an opinion like everybody else . We can laugh at it  or cheer him on ,  these celebrities whether they be right or left in political ideology have little or no effect on my personal views .  Won't sway me one way or the other ....Ill still appreciate their unique skill sets they are know for.   Same for 99 % of socia mediam ...or TV..talking heads ..flies goes in one ear and out the other.  My internal....human noise  or    Garbage filter rejects most noise or comments  I hear or see . 

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I doubt that Brees is a racist and he [overall] seems like a good guy who cares about his community, but I agree that this was a super-bonehead moment on his part. One of the biggest problems in our country is we equate the American flag to the military; so when you kneel during the national anthem, it appears you are protesting the military. Many people - especially on the left and in the middle - just don't see it this way. While we respect our military members for their service, the flag means so much more. Kneeling during the national anthem as a protest shouldn't be seen as a protest against our military, but as a protest against something that is unjust in society.

I concur.   I don't think Brees is a 'bad guy' at all.  But I do think he is exhibiting a broken understanding here.  Taking a knee during the anthem is not a disrespect of either the flag or the military.  It is, in fact, using that moment of respect for the flag to bring attention to actions by others that are the real disrespect for what the flag represents (and those who have died to defend it).

The real 'disrespect' for the flag is by those who hide their racist activities by wrapping themselves in the flag.
I think you guys are making an excuse for him. There is no way to know whether he is racist or no. None of you know what they talk about with his family kids .... what conversations he has with friends and elder family before ellections.
Judging solely by his actions (community and church work) and that he shares the field and locker room and seats at the bus with his teammates he would not be a racist 50 years ago...
things have changed dramatically since then.... with the divisiveness of politics and media nowadays it’s a lot more black and white and there is no in between.... you are either with them or against them... you’re either racist or not racist.

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I think you guys are making an excuse for him. There is no way to know whether he is racist or no. None of you know what they talk about with his family kids .... what conversations he has with friends and elder family before ellections.
Judging solely by his actions (community and church work) and that he shares the field and locker room and seats at the bus with his teammates he would not be a racist 50 years ago...
things have changed dramatically since then.... with the divisiveness of politics and media nowadays it’s a lot more black and white and there is no in between.... you are either with them or against them... you’re either racist or not racist.

I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Just like many things in life, things are not just black and white (metaphor, not race), but rather things can be gray. What I think Brees is displaying here is not that his racist but rather his ignorance. He's being ignorant to what the kneeling is about. I think with a lot of people, they either don't care to understand because being ignorant is easier than having those conversations and acknowledging there is an issue or they honestly don't understand what is the issue because they don't know and their natural response is to place into their own perspective based on their own experience, which many times is limited since they might now know people of color.

I am a minority (Brazilian) that grew up in a place that lacks diversity. I got to learn that people's ignorance in part can be for the lack of better word, that they don't know any better. They make assumptions and decisions on what they read rather than what they have experienced.

I now live in a place that is extremely diverse. In my son's preschool class, I think 80% of his class is a minority, whether Asian, Central and South American, black and Arabic. The environment that they grow up will be opening them up to different cultures, customs, food and interaction. At some point I will have to teach my son that not everybody grows up in his environment so he'll have to be open minded not to other cultures, but to people that don't have experienced those. He'll have to teach them what it's like to be open and have discussions.

My last point is I remember one time a girl asked me if I lived in a tree in Brazil. I could tell that she wasn't asking maliciously, but because she honestly didn't know. I was offended but at the same time, it also gave me an opportunity to teach her about what my experience was like and I think she was better off knowing.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Just like many things in life, things are not just black and white (metaphor, not race), but rather things can be gray. What I think Brees is displaying here is not that his racist but rather his ignorance. He's being ignorant to what the kneeling is about. I think with a lot of people, they either don't care to understand because being ignorant is easier than having those conversations and acknowledging there is an issue or they honestly don't understand what is the issue because they don't know and their natural response is to place into their own perspective based on their own experience, which many times is limited since they might now know people of color.

I am a minority (Brazilian) that grew up in a place that lacks diversity. I got to learn that people's ignorance in part can be for the lack of better word, that they don't know any better. They make assumptions and decisions on what they read rather than what they have experienced.

I now live in a place that is extremely diverse. In my son's preschool class, I think 80% of his class is a minority, whether Asian, Central and South American, black and Arabic. The environment that they grow up will be opening them up to different cultures, customs, food and interaction. At some point I will have to teach my son that not everybody grows up in his environment so he'll have to be open minded not to other cultures, but to people that don't have experienced those. He'll have to teach them what it's like to be open and have discussions.

My last point is I remember one time a girl asked me if I lived in a tree in Brazil. I could tell that she wasn't asking maliciously, but because she honestly didn't know. I was offended but at the same time, it also gave me an opportunity to teach her about what my experience was like and I think she was better off knowing.
I’m not sure why you strongly disagree with my point? Reading what you wrote you actually agreed with it.
And you seriously believe that Brees is ignorant about the protests given that he had 3 years to discuss these issues. Some of his sources were demario Davis , Cameron Jordan and others ... you seriously think they have not explained to Brees what the anthem kneeling protests are about?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:46:42 AM by NKY fan »

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 11:50:37 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

I’m not sure why you strongly disagree with my point? Reading what you wrote you actually agreed with it.
And you seriously believe that Brees is ignorant about the protests given that he had 3 years to discuss these issues. Some of his sources were demario Davis , Cameron Jordan and others ... you seriously think they have not explained to Brees what the anthem kneeling protests are about?

My deepest apologies. I read your last portion but didn't realize you were talking about the media. My apologies. I think in regards to Brees, I think that is what I referred to the willful ignorance of not wanting to acknowledge the issue based on his own experiences. I think part of the nation's discussion is how to turn that around since being ignorant is essentially turning a blind eye and that's won't drive us forward then taking action rather than just accepting it. However, I don't think that is as charged as somebody who's racist and will willingly do things to harm the other race. I hope that makes sense.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with Brees.  I also don’t think the workplace is the right place to protest.  Brees could have held his tongue to promote team harmony, but he has as much right to talk about the flag / anthem / country as his teammates do to promote their interests.

If players didn’t have a platform, I might feel differently.  But, every media and social media outlet in the country is open to players.

What do you agree with?

I assume you agree with the statement that he will "never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America".

The anger over his statement is with the civic ignorance he uses in how he has chosen to define "disrespecting the flag".

He also was giving an interview to Yahoo Finance for some reason. Why did you assume he made this comment in the "workplace"?

He didn’t make his comment in the workplace.  Those who kneel or otherwise protest at games are doing so in their workplaces.  I don’t personally like it, particularly when linked to the flag or anthem.

I do support players protesting on their own time, through social media, attending marches and rallies, or whatever else they may do.  And, I think players should be allowed to write messages on their shoes and wear armbands. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I have made no claim to know whether he is racist or not.  I only have asserted that I do not "think" he is a "bad guy".   That's simply a limited opinion informed by observing his public behavior over the last couple of decades.

Your definition is almost certainly creating a false black & white dichotomy out of a heaping pile of grey.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

What do you agree with?

He didn’t make his comment in the workplace.  Those who kneel or otherwise protest at games are doing so in their workplaces.  I don’t personally like it, particularly when linked to the flag or anthem.

I do support players protesting on their own time, through social media, attending marches and rallies, or whatever else they may do.  And, I think players should be allowed to write messages on their shoes and wear armbands.

The entire flag and anthem business at the beginning of sporting events is a political gesture. Does it really have any more or less place at a sporting event or a workplace than what you are complaining about?

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

What do you agree with?

The entire flag and anthem business at the beginning of sporting events is a political gesture. Does it really have any more or less place at a sporting event or a workplace than what you are complaining about?
I don’t get the anthem thing either. I think anthems are to be played to commemorate events of national significance or events about to take place that are again of national significance. You won’t hear the marceillaise before random games from French soccer league .. I can see how the Super Bowl or the nba finals are of national significance and it can make sense to sing the anthem before these games.
Singing and raising the flag before random nba games or high school football games is way over doing it.
With that Kaepernick chose to kneel at the onset of the anthem to strike a cord with all those that live in denial.
whether it’s company time or not is a moot point.

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 08:22:47 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
For those who still care, Brees issued a better statement addressed to Trump several hours ago.

To @realdonaldtrump
Through my ongoing conversations with friends, teammates, and leaders in the black community, I realize this is not an issue about the American flag. It has never been. We can no longer use the flag to turn people away or distract them from the real issues that face our black communities.
We did this back in 2017, and regretfully I brought it back with my comments this week. We must stop talking about the flag and shift our attention to the real issues of systemic racial injustice, economic oppression, police brutality, and judicial & prison reform.

We are at a critical juncture in our nation’s history! If not now, then when?

We as a white community need to listen and learn from the pain and suffering of our black communities. We must acknowledge the problems, identify the solutions, and then put this into action. The black community cannot do it alone. This will require all of us
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBE4y_9Hj2S/?igshid=dm93cr5x3d5n

Good on him. No stock photo either lol.

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I believe Drew "Gets it" now...or at least will TRY.

I agree with Charles Barkley's response to him....Sir Charles basically said we should forgive him and give him a chance to back up his words.

I do.

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

I agree with Charles Barkley's response to him....Sir Charles basically said we should forgive him and give him a chance to back up his words.

I do.
NFL also, shockingly, seemed to have changed its stance. Wonder how msny people will boycott the NFL like they said they would Nike.

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

I do.

Bree’s statement seems to be a lot more heartfelt and impactful then the generic “I’m sorry for those who I’ve hurt”. As I said before, those who feel kneeling during the anthem are doing for ignorance of the issue being addressed and that ignorance can be due to legitimately feeling that way due to personal experiences (military service, family members) or just unwilling to hear the message.

However, the whole thing is about listening and making an attempt to understand the kneeling and why a significant part of our citizens feel their not equal. I was having a conversation with a coworker and it was nice talking about race issue and what he has to go through. I also shared my experience as a Brazilian in the process of getting our green card. It was a good conversation but unfortunately, many people are unwilling to have the conversation because it’s uncomfortable and to avoid the risk of offending somebody.

To Charles point, we say we want to open up the conversation but as soon as somebody (especially a person of influence) says something incorrect, everybody jumps on it and the cancel culture gets out. It would be great for us as a society to have the type of discussion we get on this forum but unfortunately, I don’t think we are as open minded as Celtics Strong is.
Baby Jesus!