Author Topic: Rumor: C’s Eyeing Olynyk  (Read 6408 times)

Re: Rumor: C’s Eyeing Olynyk
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2023, 11:14:07 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
The Celtics interest in Kelly Olynyk is ‘real’.

Chris Forsberg

Would GWill be certainly included in a KO deal?

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2023, 11:34:08 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Chris Forsberg

No, I wouldn’t think so.  The C’s would like to add depth at that position, not switch out the roles.

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2023, 11:36:24 PM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Since we're fishing for Celtics retreads might as well get Kyrie too.

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2023, 09:18:51 AM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85

Chris Forsberg

No, I wouldn’t think so.  The C’s would like to add depth at that position, not switch out the roles.

KO makes just a hair over $12M so my guess would be Picks + Gallinari, Pritchard, and would have to include one of Jackson/Kornet/Griffin to make it work I believe. Talent-wise I say Jackson but that does leave the team shallow at wings behind the J’s. Then the obvious question is what picks do we have to give up to get it done/beat out a possible Miami offer.

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2023, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Since we're fishing for Celtics retreads might as well get Kyrie too.

That’s bound to be a popular idea in Boston  :D

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Unless they are super low on G-Will now, I'm not sure how Olynyk makes much sense. I don't consider him a legit big like Horford/Timelord (and he's softer than those guys), and he's also not really some "shooting weapon" you can deploy off the bench (the backup wing/scorer we covet).

I don't really see the fit unless G-Will is gone. Frankly I think G-Will can do a lot of what Olynyk does already. And I say that knowing G-Will has been bad lately, but he is still a 3-and-D guy who has shown he can defend rather well against the better centers in the playoffs 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2023, 10:45:35 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Unless they are super low on G-Will now, I'm not sure how Olynyk makes much sense. I don't consider him a legit big like Horford/Timelord (and he's softer than those guys), and he's also not really some "shooting weapon" you can deploy off the bench (the backup wing/scorer we covet).

I don't really see the fit unless G-Will is gone. Frankly I think G-Will can do a lot of what Olynyk does already. And I say that knowing G-Will has been bad lately, but he is still a 3-and-D guy who has shown he can defend rather well against the better centers in the playoffs

I consider them pretty equal. KO therefore doesn’t improve the roster other than provide depth in the front-court. His height is nice but he's more of an away from basket offensive player (at least he was in 2017 - the last time I saw him regularly).  It’s not a bad get as depth will be needed. But - not a game-changer.  Not thrilled to give up PP for him, but Brad knows better than me if that’s what he decides to do.

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2023, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I don't see Olynyk as a replacement for Grant, but the needed big we need in case of injuries.  Kelly would be a replacement for Payton, who I like a lot, but is our 4th pg.  I believe Kelly provides more this year than Payton.  Neither are starters on this team.  Gallo will probably not be available this season and it sounds like Payton will be on his way after the season.  So....the old saying, a player (bird) in the hand (Olynyk) is better than two in the bush (no guarantee that the Cs get something better).
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Kelly’s a good option; solid in all facets of the game.

He would immediately fill the role Gallinari would have and form a rotation that is 9 deep, ready and battle tested for the playoffs.

Gallo is rehabbing and might not be his usual self even if he does return this season, Payton will get benched as soon as the Smart/Brown/Brogdon/White rotation is healthy and available, and Kelly is a big, healthy, strong, durable, and versatile addition to the playoff rotation.

I prefer to go in a different direction without giving up Gallo+Pritchard (trading a future protected 1st or 2nds and save Payton for another transaction after the season), but despite my preference, I know that Kelly would help us along the way to win the Championship.