Author Topic: Celtics Sign Blake Griffin  (Read 10937 times)

Re: Celtics Sign Blake Griffin
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Is Blake going to be playing Center? He’s a shell of himself to begin with and I don’t think he can play that position at this stage of his career. Hopefully this is just a replacement for Gallo and Brad is still looking to add a C. Blake only played in 56 games last season and I believe he was a DNP for half of the postseason series vs the C’s. He has no upside and really doesn’t do anything well anymore.

Blake is a center at this point in time. He'll probably be a deep bench guy once we get everyone healthy.

I don't know what Celtics team you've been watching for the last 14 years.

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2022, 03:03:32 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Is Blake going to be playing Center? He’s a shell of himself to begin with and I don’t think he can play that position at this stage of his career. Hopefully this is just a replacement for Gallo and Brad is still looking to add a C. Blake only played in 56 games last season and I believe he was a DNP for half of the postseason series vs the C’s. He has no upside and really doesn’t do anything well anymore.
In another thread, I boldly predicted Mazz would move Horford to starting center until Rob gets back. However, it may be that Mazz doesn't want to mess up the rotations and prefers to stick with the twin-big lineup, keeping Al at PF. Evidence was seeing Kornet running with the starters in practice. Eh maybe, I don't trust that and now I'm thinking that Blake our starting center on opening night.

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2022, 03:03:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wonder what number he will wear
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2022, 03:05:11 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Blake is a center at this point in time. He'll probably be a deep bench guy once we get everyone healthy.

I don't think the distinction between PF and C makes much difference.  Right now, he is probably the 4th big behind Horford, Grant, and Kornet.  He probably will start out ahead of Vonleh since Vonleh is not officially on a real contract at this point.  I expect both Griffin and Vonleh to pass Kornet so Griffin may start the season as the 3rd big.  Yikes.

But I expect he will be on the court in several combinations, with Horford, with Grant, all combinations.

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2022, 03:06:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
PJ Brown. 

Will come into a playoff game and make a big play.

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2022, 03:12:42 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I'm thinking that Blake our starting center on opening night.

It is very possible although if the starters are Horford and Griffin, I am not sure who the center is.  Al and Blake should play well together, if Griffin has any wind.

That is possibly how they sold signing with the Celtics to Griffin.  A chance to begin the season as a starter, on a contender.

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2022, 03:16:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Exactly. "Everyone healthy" is a pipe dream. Season hasn't even started and they've got, what, three guys injured?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

:o

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I'm thinking that Blake our starting center on opening night.

It is very possible although if the starters are Horford and Griffin, I am not sure who the center is.  Al and Blake should play well together, if Griffin has any wind.

That is possibly how they sold signing with the Celtics to Griffin.  A chance to begin the season as a starter, on a contender.

In that case (which I think is fairly likely) I'd expect Blake is the low-block defender and Horford gets "hidden" from the wear-and-tear by playing Rob's free safety role on the weakest perimeter threat.

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2022, 03:47:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
In another thread, I boldly predicted Mazz would move Horford to starting center until Rob gets back. However, it may be that Mazz doesn't want to mess up the rotations and prefers to stick with the twin-big lineup, keeping Al at PF. Evidence was seeing Kornet running with the starters in practice. Eh maybe, I don't trust that and now I'm thinking that Blake our starting center on opening night.

God, I hope not. He goes from being a healthy scratch for numerous games with the Nets to a starting C for the Celtics. Yeah, that would be a nightmare. Might as well just start Grant at the 5.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2022, 03:52:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Himmelsbach says it's a vet minimum deal.

Griffin is pretty much washed BUT I always remember how he definitely played tough against us in the Nets series last season especially in Game 3. Jaylen hit some nice buckets over him but it wasn't like Griffin was making it too easy either. He looked like the only one who cared on BKN during that series lol despite his limitations

the bolded part over and over again yes.  BG seemed like the only guy who cared on the nets.  If he can give us 10 min a game spot minutes for Timelord when he comes back I like it.  BG's body is shot though, I hope we don't expect him to play big minutes while Timelord is out.

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2022, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
I think Vonleah makes the team

I think Valentine goes. No need for him.

have not seen Vonleah play in years...I think Thomas might make the team on another 2 way if they have any of those left over.

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2022, 04:04:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Blake actually played 17.1 mpg last year and he played in 56 games, starting 24.  20 games he played over 20 mpg.  That is a fairly meaningful role. 

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to think he could play 20+ mpg in about 2 out of 3 games for the first couple months of the season, and then scale his minutes down when Rob comes back. 

That said, I'd still much rather have Howard, Whiteside, or Cousins.  I think they have a lot more left in the tank and are all far more capable of starting for 2 months, while still producing at a decent clip, than Griffin is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'll take it.
I think he can play 12ish minutes a night as a small ball C, usually paired with Grant, against the other teams bench.

I was never looking for meaningful playoff minutes from the vet min "big".
I would probably still keep Vonleh, Blake hasn't been the healthiest guy himself.

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2022, 04:20:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'll take it.
I think he can play 12ish minutes a night as a small ball C, usually paired with Grant, against the other teams bench.

I was never looking for meaningful playoff minutes from the vet min "big".
I would probably still keep Vonleh, Blake hasn't been the healthiest guy himself.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive how Al looks much younger than Blake even though he's older