Author Topic: Report: Celtics Seek Jay Larranaga Reunion  (Read 3377 times)

Report: Celtics Seek Jay Larranaga Reunion
« on: September 28, 2022, 03:29:42 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Celtics are seeking permission to talk to Clippers assistant Jay Larranaga about joining interim coach Joe Mazzulla’s staff this season, sources tell ESPN.

Larranaga spent nine seasons with Celtics before joining the Clippers in 2021.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:41:04 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Report: Celtics Seek Jay Larranaga Reunion
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 04:07:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder why the Clippers would agree, if it isn't for a HC role
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 05:27:37 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I wonder why the Clippers would agree, if it isn't for a HC role

It could be for a lead assistant role here, which would be a promotion relative to his job in LA.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 07:43:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
1. Celtics gave Clippers Doc for a 1st round pick. Obviously not the same thing, but could influence Clippers' decision (doubt it would).
2. Got me to thinking whether we will see some letting go of some of Ime's guys by the Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 08:37:58 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
1. Celtics gave Clippers Doc for a 1st round pick. Obviously not the same thing, but could influence Clippers' decision (doubt it would).
2. Got me to thinking whether we will see some letting go of some of Ime's guys by the Celtics.

Re #1: If the C’s are offering Larranaga a lead assistant role, I don’t think they’d need to compensate the Clippers at all.  It’s not a good look to prevent an assistant coach from getting a promotion elsewhere.  Assistants are important, but they’re not principals like coaches or GMs.

Re #2: I think if Ime doesn’t return next year (as feels probable) there will be a lot of turnover amongst the assistants. Obviously they were all brought to Boston by Udoka, and had long relationships with him, and a new coach, Mazzulla or otherwise, is going to want to bring in some of his own people.  But I wouldn’t expect to see any departures now, unless one of them thinks that Udoka was treated so unfairly by the organization that he just needs to get out.  And Boston isn’t going to get rid of them at this point — the goal is to have as much continuity as possible from a the most successful season the team has had since 2010.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 08:47:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Re #1: If the C’s are offering Larranaga a lead assistant role, I don’t think they’d need to compensate the Clippers at all. It’s not a good look to prevent an assistant coach from getting a promotion elsewhere.  Assistants are important, but they’re not principals like coaches or GMs.

Does it make a difference that we're now in training camp, and the Clippers would have to scramble to fill the position?

Also, I can see the Clippers letting him interview, and then just offering him more money to stay.

Re #2: I think if Ime doesn’t return next year (as feels probable) there will be a lot of turnover amongst the assistants.

You mean we might hire somebody without ties to Oregon / Portland?  Lol.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 08:53:42 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Re #1: If the C’s are offering Larranaga a lead assistant role, I don’t think they’d need to compensate the Clippers at all. It’s not a good look to prevent an assistant coach from getting a promotion elsewhere.  Assistants are important, but they’re not principals like coaches or GMs.

Does it make a difference that we're now in training camp, and the Clippers would have to scramble to fill the position?

Also, I can see the Clippers letting him interview, and then just offering him more money to stay.

Re #2: I think if Ime doesn’t return next year (as feels probable) there will be a lot of turnover amongst the assistants.

You mean we might hire somebody without ties to Oregon / Portland?  Lol.

I think that’s why he’d have to get a promotion.  The Wolves took a Raptors assistant halfway through the season a year or two ago to make him head coach.  This isn’t a head job, but it’s also the first week of training camp, so it feels proportionately similar.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would love to him have him back.   Anything that might help provide some stability right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 09:05:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Would love to him have him back.   Anything that might help provide some stability right now.

For sure.  He's a good coach who knows the organization well.  I've never heard a bad word said about him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169
But aren't we undercutting Mazulla right away by hiring his replacement to be next to him? Isn't this a big vote of no confidence in the new coach?

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 09:41:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
But aren't we undercutting Mazulla right away by hiring his replacement to be next to him? Isn't this a big vote of no confidence in the new coach?

I don't think Larranaga would be his replacement.  Rather, he'd be a seasoned assistant to give advice.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 09:47:29 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think Larranaga would be his replacement.  Rather, he'd be a seasoned assistant to give advice.

I would be shocked if Mazzulla didn't recommend seeking out Larranaga himself.

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Agree. Someone he's worked with before, but who is also an assistant, as opposed to a former head coach like Frank who might have his eye on the top job. Not to say Jay wouldn't, but there's that familiarity at least.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 12:06:38 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169

Agree. Someone he's worked with before, but who is also an assistant, as opposed to a former head coach like Frank who might have his eye on the top job. Not to say Jay wouldn't, but there's that familiarity at least.
I wasn't expecting optimism from this board, lol. :-)

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Just making sure we know that Ayton has played in:
71/82
38/73
69/72
58/82
games in his career.

Better than Rob, but not a model of health exactly.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur