Author Topic: Pritchard is still a valuable player:  (Read 3884 times)

Re: Pritchard is still a valuable player:
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2022, 04:24:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I enjoy having Payton on the team. He’s an elite shooter, who is an overqualified 3rd string PG.

That said, we have a guard rotation of Marcus, Jaylen, Malcolm, and Derrick signed until the end of the 2024 season; with minutes being scarce and this team at the status it is, Payton is the odd man out.

There’s an article on that website in the OP that suggests trading him and Yam for Jarred Vanderbilt. That is the type of move that would be great for this team in the short and long term.
I don’t know anything about Vanderbilt, but if I were Brad I’d be shopping PP for big man help for sure. And this comes from a guy who’s son goes to U of Oregon so I’ve adopted them as my team lately.

I believe that Vanderbilt fits into one of our TPEs but PP can't be included. I bet you could easily get him for a future protected first. I'd take him for a future 2nd rounder.

Are you saying PP can’t be included because you don’t want to trade him or because you think the rules prevent it?  If it’s the latter, don’t worry, the rules don’t prevent it.

I thought you couldn't trade a player and the exception. I would do that trade but I don't think it's allowed.

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2022, 04:31:36 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I enjoy having Payton on the team. He’s an elite shooter, who is an overqualified 3rd string PG.

That said, we have a guard rotation of Marcus, Jaylen, Malcolm, and Derrick signed until the end of the 2024 season; with minutes being scarce and this team at the status it is, Payton is the odd man out.

There’s an article on that website in the OP that suggests trading him and Yam for Jarred Vanderbilt. That is the type of move that would be great for this team in the short and long term.
I don’t know anything about Vanderbilt, but if I were Brad I’d be shopping PP for big man help for sure. And this comes from a guy who’s son goes to U of Oregon so I’ve adopted them as my team lately.

I believe that Vanderbilt fits into one of our TPEs but PP can't be included. I bet you could easily get him for a future protected first. I'd take him for a future 2nd rounder.

Are you saying PP can’t be included because you don’t want to trade him or because you think the rules prevent it?  If it’s the latter, don’t worry, the rules don’t prevent it.

I thought you couldn't trade a player and the exception. I would do that trade but I don't think it's allowed.

You can.  You just can’t add a player and exception together to match salary.  For example, we have the Dennis Schröder exception that we could use for Vanderbilt because we used the Tristan Thompson exception to acquire Theis, and traded away Schröder, Fernando, and Freedom, getting exceptions for each.

A Vanderbilt for Pritchard trade would have us use either the Schröder or Juancho exceptions, and we’d get a new TPE for Pritchard.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 04:37:02 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

You can.  You just can’t add a player and exception together to match salary.  For example, we have the Dennis Schröder exception that we could use for Vanderbilt because we used the Tristan Thompson exception to acquire Theis, and traded away Schröder, Fernando, and Freedom, getting exceptions for each.

A Vanderbilt for Pritchard trade would have us use either the Schröder or Juancho exceptions, and we’d get a new TPE for Pritchard.

Yeah, you'd have to do it as two separate trades.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Sort of?  It would be done as a single transaction from the Jazz side, and it could simply be Pritchard for Vanderbilt, straight up.  TPEs are complex, but you’re overthinking this one.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2022, 04:49:44 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Sort of?  It would be done as a single transaction from the Jazz side, and it could simply be Pritchard for Vanderbilt, straight up.  TPEs are complex, but you’re overthinking this one.

I thought that this was part of the TPE: "The things that the Celtics cannot do are to combine the value of the three TPEs in a single package or add one of their own players in the deal."

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2022, 05:07:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I thought that this was part of the TPE: "The things that the Celtics cannot do are to combine the value of the three TPEs in a single package or add one of their own players in the deal."

Players can be added to a deal.  For example, we got Josh Richardson for Moses Brown, but used the Hayward TPE to match salaries.

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 08:38:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Liam, each side can do the trade structured the way the like. Utah could just do it as one trade while Boston does it as two separate one. Vanderbilt goes into our TPE for one trade Pritchard for a TPE from them for the other trade.

What you can't do is trade a $7 million TPE plus Pritchard to get a $10-11 million player. That's aggregating the TPE with salary which you can not do.

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 10:10:10 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

He's not elite. If he were elite he'd have played well enough to stay on the court vs Golden State and the C's would be defending NBA champs. His inability to make 3's when it counted (granted he had pleny of help in that dept) contributed to them losing the Finals.

Until proven otherwise, he's a decent depth guy who can hopefully earn more minutes this coming season.  But he still can't really guard anyone - to the point where opposing teams attack him constantly.

He'll likely be a candidate to be moved right up to the trade deadline.

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2022, 10:32:43 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Liam, each side can do the trade structured the way the like. Utah could just do it as one trade while Boston does it as two separate one. Vanderbilt goes into our TPE for one trade Pritchard for a TPE from them for the other trade.

What you can't do is trade a $7 million TPE plus Pritchard to get a $10-11 million player. That's aggregating the TPE with salary which you can not do.

Gotcha.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 10:34:00 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He's not elite. If he were elite he'd have played well enough to stay on the court vs Golden State and the C's would be defending NBA champs. His inability to make 3's when it counted (granted he had pleny of help in that dept) contributed to them losing the Finals.

Until proven otherwise, he's a decent depth guy who can hopefully earn more minutes this coming season.  But he still can't really guard anyone - to the point where opposing teams attack him constantly.

Pritchard is tied for 11th in 3-point percentage (among players with at least as many attempts as him)

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2022, 10:51:04 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I have always liked Pritchard. Hope the Celtics give him more time.
I realize he has been inconsistent at times and he gets criticized for his defense.
I have not had the NBA pack and have not seen enough of Pritchard game to game to get a read on his defensive deficiencies.
Maybe with more time, add a little strength and get more confidence in his shot - look at Grant Williams and how much his shooting has improved ............. and Pritchard is primarily a shooter, unlike Grant.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 11:06:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Pritchard is tied for 11th in 3-point percentage (among players with at least as many attempts as him)

It's sad that a couple of bad Finals games just completely sullens a person's perspective on a player.

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2022, 11:53:09 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
It'll be interesting to see our lineups this season.  The first preseason game suggested that we'll go smaller in Rob's absence, with Derrick White in the starting lineup.  And that opens a great opportunity for Pritchard to get minutes next to Brogdon. 

He'll have to make a great impression though, because when Rob gets back we're going to have a squeeze for rotation spots.  Easy to see a situation where we leave the bench guard spots to Brogdon and White, instead opting for more size in Hauser or Griffin instead of Pritchard.  But we'll see.  He has a good opportunity to earn his spot.

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2022, 12:02:56 AM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
It'll be interesting to see our lineups this season.  The first preseason game suggested that we'll go smaller in Rob's absence, with Derrick White in the starting lineup.  And that opens a great opportunity for Pritchard to get minutes next to Brogdon. 

He'll have to make a great impression though, because when Rob gets back we're going to have a squeeze for rotation spots.  Easy to see a situation where we leave the bench guard spots to Brogdon and White, instead opting for more size in Hauser or Griffin instead of Pritchard.  But we'll see.  He has a good opportunity to earn his spot.

Brogdon and Griffin are injury risks themselves. Add Smart and Brown, there are plenty of regular season minutes.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2022, 05:58:22 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Brogdon and Griffin are injury risks themselves. Add Smart and Brown, there are plenty of regular season minutes.

It’s realistic to count on injuries and might be wise to give occasional days off to Rob, Al, Brogdon, BG depending on how the season is going.  There will be PP minutes if he microwaves.