Author Topic: Ime really let the team down and I hope he's gone for good.  (Read 6788 times)

Re: Ime really let the team down and I hope he's gone for good.
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2022, 12:06:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So, can he is being replaced by this? Is this serious? Wow, Somehow not feeling good about anything anymore.

• Mazzulla was arrested on a domestic battery charge in 2009 in Morgantown, West Virginia, where he allegedly grabbed a woman by the neck. Steven said that they vetted the situation before hiring Mazzulla and that he takes full responsibility for the incident.
It's something that I do not like at all, but he was hired as part of Stevens' staff (so no connection to Ime), and was vetted to an acceptable standard in 2019. Conflicting
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2022, 12:09:20 AM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
I see this as become more and more a problem. Sports is different than working at a regular business . Look at the sideline reporters that are the norm, do they  know sports ? Some but none are unattractive so you are just throwing gas on fires with athletes. We saw it with the Sox.  I have always been a believer in mens and womens team be coached by the same sex. We see it in HS where a male coach gets in trouble , and I would never even want to be a male coaching HS girls  its just opening yourself up for problems whether you do anything or not. I remember we had a young good looking succesful HS football coach whom I had for study hall my sr yr. Study hall also spanned the staggered lunch period and there were always cheerleaders hanging out in the room at his desk. You can say whatever you want but stuff ends up happening and we know this situation wasnt some hot young secretary just getting her first job . I have been a sub contractor on the outside for places and I have never seen where something doesnt happen amongst employees including myself. Now for me it was me and single women and no rules against dating and never led to problems but its going to happen. Having said all that not excusing Ime at all for this

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2022, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
So, can he is being replaced by this? Is this serious? Wow, Somehow not feeling good about anything anymore.

• Mazzulla was arrested on a domestic battery charge in 2009 in Morgantown, West Virginia, where he allegedly grabbed a woman by the neck. Steven said that they vetted the situation before hiring Mazzulla and that he takes full responsibility for the incident.
It's something that I do not like at all, but he was hired as part of Stevens' staff (so no connection to Ime), and was vetted to an acceptable standard in 2019. Conflicting

There has to be a path to redemption for people. This happened when he was practically a teenager, and has reportedly been sober ever since. The assault was dismissed and never pursued criminally. I think it says a lot about him that he made it this far with this sort of baggage hanging over his head. I love a good comeback story.

Plus, the guys love him:

When Udoka came aboard in June 2021, Mazzulla remained on the Celtics' staff.

"He was a guy that there was a consensus, yes," Udoka said the day before Game 6 of the NBA Finals in June. "Somebody that [the players] all worked with closely, believed in and understood his upside."
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2022, 01:08:45 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
You all are way over valuing coaches. IME wa slucky in that they got healthy and squeezed the bench at right time.

There are so many great coaches. They are all good. There are few great players. We will be fine.

IME over valued his worth and got caught up in his own power. He should go, and probably will when smoke clears and media falls away. Celtics will be fine. IME is nothing special. He was someone in the right place at the right time.

My view is that Ime's leadership and development of the defense got the Celtics to the finals.
His lack of knowledge for team offense and creativity kept us from winning the title.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2022, 01:17:12 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

My understanding is that it was an alcohol-related offense and he sought treatment in the aftermath.  Been clean since. 

I would have preferred somebody who didn't have that on their record, particularly in the wake of this Ime crap.  I think there should be a different standard of conduct for head coaches (interim or otherwise) who are the face of the organization, compared to assistants who most fans couldn't even name.  Still, second chances have been granted for worse, and again, by all accounts he has turned himself around in the 13 years since.  I won't lose sleep over it. 

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2022, 01:57:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

My understanding is that it was an alcohol-related offense and he sought treatment in the aftermath.  Been clean since. 

I would have preferred somebody who didn't have that on their record, particularly in the wake of this Ime crap.  I think there should be a different standard of conduct for head coaches (interim or otherwise) who are the face of the organization, compared to assistants who most fans couldn't even name.  Still, second chances have been granted for worse, and again, by all accounts he has turned himself around in the 13 years since.  I won't lose sleep over it.
Yeah, he seems to have taken all possible steps to redeem himself. Let’s just hope he can also coach :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2022, 10:41:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He was also in college.  A lot of kids (and I'm using that word intentionally) when they are college do stupid things that don't reflect on the character of the adults they become. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2022, 11:42:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
You all are way over valuing coaches. IME wa slucky in that they got healthy and squeezed the bench at right time.

There are so many great coaches. They are all good. There are few great players. We will be fine.

IME over valued his worth and got caught up in his own power. He should go, and probably will when smoke clears and media falls away. Celtics will be fine. IME is nothing special. He was someone in the right place at the right time.

My view is that Ime's leadership and development of the defense got the Celtics to the finals.
His lack of knowledge for team offense and creativity kept us from winning the title.

The defense is largely credited to Mazzulla though.

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2022, 12:11:17 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

TP  I could not have explained it better myself.  Ime was brought in for leadership and culture.  He's a players coach.  Former player who understands the player side of things.  I didn't see anything exceptional in regards to the other side of coaching in regards to creativity, plays etc.  All he did was tighten the rotation.  Overworked out players so they were dead exhausted in the playoffs.  This is what lead to the big letdown.  Players had no juice left.  It's why Smart said they lost due to their depth.  It's true.  No depth = more minutes for the rotation = exhaustion in the finals = loss

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2022, 12:23:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

TP  I could not have explained it better myself.  Ime was brought in for leadership and culture.  He's a players coach.  Former player who understands the player side of things.  I didn't see anything exceptional in regards to the other side of coaching in regards to creativity, plays etc.  All he did was tighten the rotation.  Overworked out players so they were dead exhausted in the playoffs.  This is what lead to the big letdown.  Players had no juice left.  It's why Smart said they lost due to their depth.  It's true.  No depth = more minutes for the rotation = exhaustion in the finals = loss

I beat this point all year. I hope the new coach goes at least 9-10 deep in the regular season and maybe 8-9 deep in the playoffs. Developing a bench and even a deep bench is important in the long NBA season.
The Heat did a great job of that last year. They played all kinds of guys last year and ended up with the best record in the East.

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2022, 12:49:02 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I beat this point all year. I hope the new coach goes at least 9-10 deep in the regular season and maybe 8-9 deep in the playoffs. Developing a bench and even a deep bench is important in the long NBA season.
The Heat did a great job of that last year. They played all kinds of guys last year and ended up with the best record in the East.
I agree.

But....
Then we beat Miami with 6 + 2x1/2

I think we got a little lucky last year.
I think your right, hopefully last years results don't make us under-estimate the task.

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Yep, I agree. He also ran Al into the ground.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2022, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm reminded of the conversation happening before Ime was hired and Chauncey Billups was a possibility. A lot of folks didn't like the idea because of Chauncey's history with women. Of course, Ime had no such history. You never know what's coming down the road, I guess.

I'll tell you one thing: I've never rooted as hard for a coach as I'll be rooting for Joe Mazzulla during game 1.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:27:27 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2022, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I'm reminded of the conversation happening before Ime was hired and Chauncey Billups was a possibility. A lot of folks didn't like the idea because of Chauncey's history with woman. Of course, Ime had no such history. You never know what's coming down the road, I guess.

I'll tell you one thing: I've never rooted as hard for a coach as I'll be rooting for Joe Mazzulla during game 1.

I hope coach Mazzulla can bring this team together for another title run. Adversity can tear us apart or bring us together.