Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58585 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??
« Reply #705 on: November 01, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Well, that rehab was pretty quick, wasn’t it.

Yes- This is laughable.

On the other hand, imagine Ime being a creep again in BKN?!?!

« Reply #706 on: November 01, 2022, 04:09:51 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1438
So much for those talking heads speculating that Udoka would never coach again in the NBA. Doesn’t seem like the media is giving the Nets any grief over the (likely) hiring, either. Why is Ime getting a pass?

Also, wouldn’t it be better to wait until the halfway point of the season or the off-season before letting teams talk to Ime? Especially considering the salary the C’s are paying Udoka has been significantly reduced(per Wyc). Nets still have time to turn things around at this point…
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:28:20 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #707 on: November 01, 2022, 04:12:36 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
This was poorly managed by the Celtics.

Investigation since July, there had to be some sort of internal assumption Ime was getting suspended. No real backup plan in place for a coach.

Now they are letting Ime walk, to one of our biggest threats in the East? I don't care how poorly the Nets are playing, Ime is clearly a solid coach that gets a response from his players.. who knows if his addition makes Brooklyn more desirable destination for FAs.

Just poor management from start to finish - why Stevens didn't step down to coach is beyond me, why we didnt call Snyder is even more puzzling. 

What is still shocking to me that whatever Ime did was so bad he got suspended and now released by the team, but the NBA itself doesnt feel any suspension is justified for him whatsoever? He is able to walk and coach a team as soon as tomorrow? I have no idea what Ime did, but I feel if it merited a team suspension there should also be some sort of penalty from the NBA as well.

« Reply #708 on: November 01, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Interesting, Jaylen reposted Woj's Instagram post about the Nets hiring with no commentary. Seems like there's still support in the locker room for him and as of media day, players were still really in the dark about what exactly happened.

This could be bad for the team. I get that the C's want off of his contract, but this all feels like a hot mess and bad decision making all around.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #709 on: November 01, 2022, 04:28:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hardwood Paroxysm
@HPbasketball
Kyrie asks out. Can't find anyone to take him. Has to stay. KD asks out, no one will give up enough. Demands Nash and Marks fired. Nets say no. KD agrees to stay. Kyrie platforms antisemitism. Nets fires Nash after 6 games after telling KD they wouldn't fire him. Nets hire Udoka
1:38 PM · Nov 1, 2022

Hardwood Paroxysm
@HPbasketball
·
1h
Replying to
@HPbasketball
This started at the end of June.

It's the beginning of November.

It's been four months.
Hardwood Paroxysm
@HPbasketball
·
1h
Replying to
@HPbasketball
I DIDN'T EVEN MENTION ANYTHING WITH BEN SIMMONS HERE.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #710 on: November 01, 2022, 04:36:19 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think there are very few possible coaches out there capable of walking this particular line in Brooklyn. They should have kept Nash. Not because he's a good coach, but because he managed somehow to express no public frustration in response to the madness and humiliation.

I'm not sure there is any way to impose any discipline or stand up to any of the humiliating subversions of authority without rupturing the situation. Maybe they want Udoka to get them to the other side of this, but I can't see him just accepting what has been going on for long. What made him good for Tatum and Brown will ruin him there.

« Reply #711 on: November 01, 2022, 05:02:15 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
This was poorly managed by the Celtics.

Investigation since July, there had to be some sort of internal assumption Ime was getting suspended. No real backup plan in place for a coach.

Now they are letting Ime walk, to one of our biggest threats in the East? I don't care how poorly the Nets are playing, Ime is clearly a solid coach that gets a response from his players.. who knows if his addition makes Brooklyn more desirable destination for FAs.

Just poor management from start to finish - why Stevens didn't step down to coach is beyond me, why we didnt call Snyder is even more puzzling. 

What is still shocking to me that whatever Ime did was so bad he got suspended and now released by the team, but the NBA itself doesnt feel any suspension is justified for him whatsoever? He is able to walk and coach a team as soon as tomorrow? I have no idea what Ime did, but I feel if it merited a team suspension there should also be some sort of penalty from the NBA as well.

This!!!

« Reply #712 on: November 01, 2022, 05:04:12 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Will NBA step in or let it go?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #713 on: November 01, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
C's won't get any compensation for this?? Huh??  ???

They're getting compensation, just not in draft picks.  They won't owe Ime the rest of his contract, which they likely would have if they'd kept him on their books.

Anyone know what the contract is?  I can't find it anywhere. 

I can't believe that this will be about money.  I know it is millions but it is not a big deal in the scale of an NBA franchise.  I am sure the Celtics would prefer not to pay him if they are not going to reinstate him as the coach but I hope they don't just let him go to the Nets to save some money.

It’s not just money.  It’s also turning the page.  The Celtics can move on in a way that’s not publicly messy if he goes to Brooklyn.  Mazzulla can get the interim tag taken off if it goes well, and when there are bumps, as are inevitable in a 6-8 month season, players won’t have to deal with awkward questions of whether the team should consider reinstating Udoka.  No one has to look over their shoulder or be asked about the elephant that’s not in the room.

I’d prefer a pick, but there is value to the team beyond money.
I'm in agreement with this.
Terminating for cause is rarely easy.
For the most part the C's can take the high road, "we couldn't in good conscience allow Ime to coach us but we won't stand in his way if others feel different"

The down side I see is that there will probably be "leaks" that indicate the C's over-reacted.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 05:10:33 PM by sgrogan »

« Reply #714 on: November 01, 2022, 05:26:45 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
C's won't get any compensation for this?? Huh??  ???

They're getting compensation, just not in draft picks.  They won't owe Ime the rest of his contract, which they likely would have if they'd kept him on their books.

Anyone know what the contract is?  I can't find it anywhere. 

I can't believe that this will be about money.  I know it is millions but it is not a big deal in the scale of an NBA franchise.  I am sure the Celtics would prefer not to pay him if they are not going to reinstate him as the coach but I hope they don't just let him go to the Nets to save some money.

It’s not just money.  It’s also turning the page.  The Celtics can move on in a way that’s not publicly messy if he goes to Brooklyn.  Mazzulla can get the interim tag taken off if it goes well, and when there are bumps, as are inevitable in a 6-8 month season, players won’t have to deal with awkward questions of whether the team should consider reinstating Udoka.  No one has to look over their shoulder or be asked about the elephant that’s not in the room.

I’d prefer a pick, but there is value to the team beyond money.

I think it also shows that the offense was egregious enough that the C’s just wanted to move on. To allow him to go to a division rival for free like this means he was never going to be with the C’s again anyways.

But for the Nets - what an idiotic hire. Basketball-wise, I think it’s a potentially great fit, though unsure if KD and Kyrie or the softy Ben will actual be okay with Ime’s more authoritative style. But PR-wise, hiring him so soon after this ordeal in Boston on top of the whole anti-Semitic crap from Kyrie is just a PR nightmare I would imagine. Not a good look.

« Reply #715 on: November 01, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
That Udoka Nets press conference is going to be one big cluster-you-know-what.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #716 on: November 01, 2022, 05:31:02 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
So much for those talking heads speculating that Udoka would never coach again in the NBA. Doesn’t seem like the media is giving the Nets any grief over the (likely) hiring, either. Why is Ime getting a pass?

Also, wouldn’t it be better to wait until the halfway point of the season or the off-season before letting teams talk to Ime? Especially considering the salary the C’s are paying Udoka has been significantly reduced(per Wyc). Nets still have time to turn things around at this point…

He's getting a pass because nobody knows what he actually did.

« Reply #717 on: November 01, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Depends how that first press conference goes.  He just got to release a statement after the Celtics suspended them — reporters will want to get an answer, and he won’t be able to avoid it.

« Reply #718 on: November 01, 2022, 06:00:08 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Depends how that first press conference goes.  He just got to release a statement after the Celtics suspended them — reporters will want to get an answer, and he won’t be able to avoid it.

Yes he will.

“I’m just focused on the future and helping the Nets reach their full potential”

« Reply #719 on: November 01, 2022, 06:01:26 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1438

He won’t be able to avoid them asking the questions, but he certainly can avoid answering them.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.