Author Topic: Compare and contrast these center candidates  (Read 5705 times)

Compare and contrast these center candidates
« on: September 21, 2022, 07:51:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we're looking at free agents, these are the top center candidates that I can quickly think of:

Dwight Howard (6'10"; 36 yo)
Hassan Whiteside (7'0"; 33 yo)
Lamarcus Aldridge (6'11"; 37 yo)
Damarcus Cousins (6'10"; 32 yo)

In terms of some superlatives, I'd say:

Best defender, overall:  This is close, between Howard and Whiteside.  I'd lean toward Howard overall in terms of defense.

Best rim protector:  Whiteside

Best defender in space / best on switches:  None

Best passer:  Cousins

Best 3PT shooter:  Cousins

Best finisher at rim:  Tie, Whiteside / Howard

Best mid-range:  Aldridge

Best rebounder:  Whiteside, but very close with Howard

Overall, I don't think Aldridge makes a ton of sense unless it's for the deep bench.  As a primary backup center (and now, starting center) I'd want one of the other three.

All three of Whiteside, Howard and Cousins will bring good rebounding.  The question is, do we prioritize rim-defense and finishing around the basket, or passing and floor stretching?

And, if we are looking for shot-blocking and lobs on offense, what makes Howard a better fit than Whiteside?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Compare and contrast these center candidates
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:59:58 AM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
d

Is there a young Robert Parrish type of guy we could trade for?  Lol

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:14:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Worst teammate: 4-way tie though some would say Howard wins that.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:17:57 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeah, if these are our choices, I'm sticking with Mfiondu and Noah!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I didn’t realise Boogie was only 32. However I think Whiteside is the best choice on the defensive side of the glass and Cousins is pretty clearly the best offensive choice.

I’m not clicking my heels over either choice though.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 08:59:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I didn’t realise Boogie was only 32. However I think Whiteside is the best choice on the defensive side of the glass and Cousins is pretty clearly the best offensive choice.

I’m not clicking my heels over either choice though.

Better than Vonleh or Kornet?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
While I do expect the Celtics to kick the tires on a vet center, I’m concerned about their lack of defensive switchability, and it’s why I think Vonleh has a real shot to make this roster.  Here’s a clip of Vonleh switched out on LeBron.  We’ve seen LeBron abuse bigs who switch onto him thousands of times, but Vonleh does a great job staying in front and forcing a pass off his drive.  (The defense left a shooter wide open from 3, but that wasn’t on Vonleh.)

https://youtu.be/P-b0ln1IYlg

Fitting into the defensive system is the single most important thing we need from a center, and while I think Whiteside probably has the best chance of the four you listed to do that, I still don’t think he does it well.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:07:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just let the Roy/Boogie in green marriage happen already. 

It's been a work in progress for the past decade or so.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:08:14 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Statistically there really isn't anything I can point to to say that Howard is better than Whiteside, but I just fell like I could trust Howard more.  And I'd trust Howard more because he has actually spent most of his career playing meaningful minutes on good teams.  Whiteside really hasn't been on many good teams and as a result hasn't had much playoff experience in his career. Plus, he hasn't exactly performed well in the playoffs.  Even last year for Utah, Whiteside was bad in the playoffs i.e. well below his season production.  So in a big spot, I'd go with the guy that I know has performed in the past and I would trust more to perform in the future as a result.  Thereby making Howard the guy I'd sign of the two.

So I'd sign Howard first, Cousins second, and Whiteside third.  If the team signs Aldridge it is a sign to me they don't actually want to win anything this year, since I don't see how Aldridge has anything left other than a deep bench quality leader type role (i.e. basically what Iggy and Haslem are).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 09:12:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
While I do expect the Celtics to kick the tires on a vet center, I’m concerned about their lack of defensive switchability, and it’s why I think Vonleh has a real shot to make this roster.  Here’s a clip of Vonleh switched out on LeBron.  We’ve seen LeBron abuse bigs who switch onto him thousands of times, but Vonleh does a great job staying in front and forcing a pass off his drive.  (The defense left a shooter wide open from 3, but that wasn’t on Vonleh.)

Fitting into the defensive system is the single most important thing we need from a center, and while I think Whiteside probably has the best chance of the four you listed to do that, I still don’t think he does it well.

I agree regarding defensive versatility being important.  But, your youtube highlight reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-mTgXRfm8

Vonleh has shown flashes of being a good -- and switchable -- defender.  Out of all the dumpster dives, he's the one I have the most hope for.  But, I have no trust in him.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 09:12:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Just let the Roy/Boogie in green marriage happen already. 

It's been a work in progress for the past decade or so.  ;)

Star-crossed lovers.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I agree regarding defensive versatility being important.  But, your youtube highlight reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-mTgXRfm8

Vonleh has shown flashes of being a good -- and switchable -- defender.  Out of all the dumpster dives, he's the one I have the most hope for.  But, I have no trust in him.

Haha, fair enough.  A vet center you left off your list is WCS.  Supposedly he agreed to go to training camp with Houston last month, but the Rockets already have 20 players under contract, so it’s not clear if that’s actually happening.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yeah, if these are our choices, I'm sticking with Mfiondu and Noah!

Same. And if they don’t work out, seeing what’s available at the deadline.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm still not sure why the Celtics didn't pursue Montrezl Harrell this off-season. He's tough, hustles, and is reliable.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 10:44:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
(1) Dwight Howard = the best all-round defender. He is the best defender in space, on swiches, against face up bigs, best man-to-man defender. Whiteside is a better rim protector at this point. Howard is a strong rebounder. A basic offensive player.

(2) Whiteside = best rim protector but his defense is otherwise mediocre. He rebounds well and he finishes well around the rim. The best finisher around the basket.

(3) Cousins = most skilled & strong rebounder. Terrible defender. Not convinced he is an NBA level player given his lack of mobility post injuries.

(4) Aldridge = highly skilled but not mobile enough anymore to be an NBA player. He can be bested by any unskilled athlete who tries hard. He just does not have the footspeed to keep up anymore; to make multiple efforts. Skilled & smart but no legs. 

I wouldn't go near Aldridge or Cousins. Whiteside is an adequate stop-gap type option; a mediocre bench rotation player. Talent wise he would be a high quality 3rd stringer but I don't trust his character enought to expect him to stay ready if not playing regularly.

Dwight is far and away superior from a character standpoint to Whiteside. He will be ready to play regardless of his role. Dwight is a bit of a locker room clown but he is nothing to bad. He doesn't expect touches anymore. He knows he is not an offensive go-to guy anymore. He has accepted that. It was this that caused most of the friction in the past. Dwight is a solid bench big to elite 3rd stringer. He is declining (particularly on D) ... although, still far and away the safest & most dependable option of the four.