Author Topic: Tatum Reveals Playoffs Injury  (Read 3351 times)

Re: Tatum Reveals Playoffs Injury
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 09:09:16 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I get it.  And it's understandable for some sub standard performances, but it still doesn't excuse completely disappearing for long stretches in the Finals.

So a fracture in the wrist and a bum shoulder doesn't account as a reason? Tough crowd.

Back in Redz day Bird played with a mangled hand, McHale played with a prosthetic foot, Bill Walton had both feet amputated and Cornbread Maxwell was completely amputated from the team!

Then you had Pistol Pete Maravich, who was just a ghost (of his former self). Tatum needs to step up and put in his big boy pants  :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m glad Tatum is a gamer.  I’m always impressed when injuries are revealed after the season, particularly in hockey.

Fans:  “Patrice Bergeron sucks!  He failed in the playoffs!”

Bruins press release:  “Patrice Bergeron has been playing with six broken ribs, a dislocated knee cap, a broken jaw and double-vision”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 11:02:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Some of us, at the time, speculated that Tatum was actually faking the shoulder injury to give himself an excuse or even to be able to sit out the end of the game. It was in the game thread. I will admit to being hard on Tatum myself.

His comments about being laid back and giving the wrong impression about his desire to win are very encouraging.
Maybe he has a fire in there after all.

This news coming out is all the more reason not to pursue Durant.
If we were that good with our best player hurt, we need to stick with this group.

Having said all that, we do need a couple of attitudes on this team. Allowing Draymond Green to stick his head in our huddle during the finals, along with letting Kyrie's insults go unchallenged shows the need for some guys like Max talked about on his podcast. Yeah, Yeah, I know it is not 1984, but you gotta respond in some way to disrespect like that. Tatum is probably not going to be that guy - just not his nature, but Marcus or somebody step up and show a little pride in that green jersey.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 02:04:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Some of us, at the time, speculated that Tatum was actually faking the shoulder injury to give himself an excuse or even to be able to sit out the end of the game. It was in the game thread. I will admit to being hard on Tatum myself.

His comments about being laid back and giving the wrong impression about his desire to win are very encouraging.
Maybe he has a fire in there after all.

This news coming out is all the more reason not to pursue Durant.
If we were that good with our best player hurt, we need to stick with this group.

Having said all that, we do need a couple of attitudes on this team. Allowing Draymond Green to stick his head in our huddle during the finals, along with letting Kyrie's insults go unchallenged shows the need for some guys like Max talked about on his podcast. Yeah, Yeah, I know it is not 1984, but you gotta respond in some way to disrespect like that. Tatum is probably not going to be that guy - just not his nature, but Marcus or somebody step up and show a little pride in that green jersey.
Lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 04:26:56 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I’m glad Tatum is a gamer.  I’m always impressed when injuries are revealed after the season, particularly in hockey.

Fans:  “Patrice Bergeron sucks!  He failed in the playoffs!”

Bruins press release:  “Patrice Bergeron has been playing with six broken ribs, a dislocated knee cap, a broken jaw and double-vision”.

I think it's a spectrum - there's certainly some players that try to blame their poor performance on vague injuries after the fact as well.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 05:30:38 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Great news.  I was thinking that Tatum needed to become a much better and more confident player for the team to have a legitimate title shot, and that it was possible that he'd never be that guy.  Tatum's injury changes that perception.  Agree that a Durant trade is way less attractive now that we know why Tatum shrank in the finals.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 09:16:14 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Perhaps this is a good time to bring up the fact that Theis had a hip flexor, a sore right wrist and horrible sciatica as well as plantar on his left foot.

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2022, 09:32:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Perhaps this is a good time to bring up the fact that Theis had a hip flexor, a sore right wrist and horrible sciatica as well as plantar on his left foot.

Interesting.  Yes, I was surprised by Theis' play, expected him to be better and have a bigger role.  We really could have used him with RWill out or limited.

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 01:58:09 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK

dang

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 06:05:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I get it.  And it's understandable for some sub standard performances, but it still doesn't excuse completely disappearing for long stretches in the Finals.

So a fracture in the wrist and a bum shoulder doesn't account as a reason? Tough crowd.

Back in Redz day Bird played with a mangled hand, McHale played with a prosthetic foot, Bill Walton had both feet amputated and Cornbread Maxwell was completely amputated from the team!

Then you had Pistol Pete Maravich, who was just a ghost (of his former self). Tatum needs to step up and put in his big boy pants  :laugh: :laugh:

lol yup

I get that there might be a dropoff in production, but if he isn't capable of more than being a non-factor for long stretches in key moments because of it, then he shouldn't have been on the court.  He was able to be productive for stretches too.  Just seemed like it got worse in key moments.

Yup

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 08:31:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Full interview with Tatum:

https://youtu.be/CI_9hWfHi40

It's over an hour, so strategically watch this to get through your work day, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes